Author Topic: Egan  (Read 23057 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Egan
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 03 April 13 11:47 BST (UK) »
Patrick James Egan b. Jan or May 1839 Ireland ?Tipperary m. Mary French nee Leahy (married before to Edward French in Western Australia) 14 May 1786 Perth WA. ......... Trying find which ship they sailed from Fremantle to US. Immigration year 1879.
Velcro

Sorry but it is simply NOT possible for there to be a marriage recorded 14 May 1786, Perth WA.   The First Fleet had not yet been assembled, and did not arrive to establish penal colony on the east coast of the (Australian) continent until January 1788.  From my school days, I think WA as a colony dates from 1829, when a Captain Fremantle was up the Swan River.

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 03 April 13 11:49 BST (UK) »
The naturalization for Patrick J Egan October 19th Oct 1880 US Dist Court Boston  - Born Jan 1839
may not be your Patrick. (There were other Patrick Egan born the same year !!)

In general, after living in the United States for 2 years, an alien could file a Declaration of Intent (also called First Papers) to become a citizen. After 2 additional years, the alien could Petition for Naturalization. After the petition was granted, a Certificate of Citizenship was issued to the alien.

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 03 April 13 11:52 BST (UK) »
I think the 1900 US Census has Patrick EGAN as born March 1840 (as opposed to 1839)

The 1900 US Census seems to be indicating that Patrick EGAN,, born March 1840 was born in Ireland of Irish parents, and arrived in the USA in 1879.  I am not sure what the squiggle under the heading “Naturalization” is indicating, but it does not apply for Patrick’s wife, Mary, who was born in August 1844, in Ireland of Irish parents.  Their son, Joseph P EGAN, single, was born May 1877 in Australia, and has similar squiggle to his Dad re Naturalization.

I am not that familiar with US searchings  ::)

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 03 April 13 11:56 BST (UK) »
The "squiggle" under naturalization could be "unknown"  ::)

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 03 April 13 12:09 BST (UK) »
"Unknown" ... yes could be, but the unmarried son was aged 21, surely he would be expected to know if he had made the decision to seek to become a naturalized citizen ... What was the minimum age of applicants? 

In the colonies on this side of the Pacific  the applicant needed to be 21 years of age.   Legitimate children of applicants who lived with the applicant and who had not yet reached their own majority were covered by their Dad's application for British Subject status, if the application met with success, then they all became British Subjects. 

Cheers,  JM

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 03 April 13 12:21 BST (UK) »
If the father Patrick applied and was naturalized, Joseph would have automatically become a US Citizen through the parent naturalization.

U.S. citizenship can be obtained in one of four ways:
birth in the United States or its territories
birth to U.S. citizen parents (called "acquisition" of citizenship)
naturalization (obtaining citizenship after an application and exam), or
naturalization of one's parents (called "derivation" of citizenship).

Sandra

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 03 April 13 12:23 BST (UK) »
Up until at least 1920s, a wife would also acquire the citizenship of her husband.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 03 April 13 12:26 BST (UK) »
A more likely naturalization might be:- Patrick Egan born Great Britain - Lived at Briggs Street Easthampton - 47 years old - US District Court Northampton - Final Naturalization District Court of Hampshire. October 20th 1888.

Sandra

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 03 April 13 12:39 BST (UK) »
I wonder if Velcro  checked the Outward Passenger lists that are mentioned on the following link?   (State Library of Western Australia)….   It is possible the EGAN  family left from ALBANY (Western Aust), or sailed across to the east coast ports (of Australia) as though on INTER-COLONIAL trip and departed for ‘overseas’ ports from the east coast (of Australia) to west coast of USA …. Then they would have needed to get across the North American continent to Northampton, Mass..   Anyways, here’s the link I mentioned:  (I found it via RChat’s Western Australia Resources Board)

http://www.slwa.wa.gov.au/find/guides/wa_history/passenger_lists 

ADDING  : Scrolling down that link I read

"Items 7&8: Inward and outward passenger and crew lists from Fremantle 1873-1927 (microfilm)"

Cheers,  JM