Author Topic: Henry James Brown and Ann Kane  (Read 3653 times)

Offline GeorgiyH

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Henry James Brown and Ann Kane
« on: Wednesday 03 April 13 10:04 BST (UK) »
I am looking for information about my g.g.g. grandparents and their forbears. His name was Henry James Brown, born around 1806 in the parish of Guig, Limerick. He was in the 98th Regiment for a number of years, and eventually settled in New Zealand with his wife Ann Kane. She died aged 42 in 1859, so was presumably born in 1817. I do not know if she was from Limerick or not. Their daughter was Caroline Brown, who married Thomas Charles Hawkins, originally from Shoreditch.
Any information or help welcome.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Henry James Brown and Ann Kane
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 03 April 13 13:13 BST (UK) »
I am looking for information about my g.g.g. grandparents and their forbears. His name was Henry James Brown, born around 1806 in the parish of Guig, Limerick. He was in the 98th Regiment for a number of years, and eventually settled in New Zealand with his wife Ann Kane. She died aged 42 in 1859, so was presumably born in 1817. I do not know if she was from Limerick or not. ......

I think that location might refer to the townland of Gooig, rather than parish.  The townland consists on abut 570 acres, and is located in Stradbally Civil parish, north east of Limerick city and only borders with Clare and Tipperary. (not to be confused the four towns named Stradbally, in Laois, Galway, Waterford and Kilkenny)

The town of Castleconnell is located in Stradbally Civil parish. Population of the town in 1871 was 478.

1806 is pretty early for parish records... so there may not be a baptism available for Henry. What denomination were your Browns ?

see : Introduction to Irish Records
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline GeorgiyH

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 03 April 13 19:03 BST (UK) »
You are most likely right about it being Gooig township. I do not knowthedenomination, but probably Protestant.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 03 April 13 19:43 BST (UK) »
Gooig is a townland, rather than township. Townlands are the smallest sub-division of Land in Ireland. In decreasing order of size you have Provinces (4), County (32), Barony (abt 350), Civil parish (about 2,500) and then townland (abt 64,000). Townlands can range in size from less than an acre to well over 1,000.

There are other sub-divisions of land involved alongside these, e.g. Electoral districts, registrars districts, Registration districts, RC parishes etc.

Protestant  can refer to a number of quite separate denominations - Church of Ireland, Presbyterian, Methodist etc, but probably Church of Ireland in this case. Church of Ireland records for Stradbally parish go back to around 1790, and are available in the National Archives and also the RCB Library - both in Dublin. The pay-website at RootsIreland appears to have transcripts for this parish.

I had a quick look at the free Index on RootsIreland, and there is a baptism listed for a Henry Brown in Co. Limerick in 1807. You have to pay to view the transcript, which for an early date like this will probably be quite basic. If you are trying that website make sure to select the Limerick county centre so that you can select the relevant parishes.

The baptism doesn't seem to be in Stradbally parish, but I'll see if I can which parish and denomination that baptism took place in. Quite a few parishes in Co. Limerick ....
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline GeorgiyH

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 03 April 13 19:53 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for that information!

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 03 April 13 19:55 BST (UK) »
that baptism records is coming up under Ballingarry Church of Ireland parish. 

There are two separate civil parishes named Ballingarry in Co. Limerick - both in South County Limerick and neither of them close to Castleconnell & Gooig...

Bear in mind that not all parishes have records going back this far, and not all those that do survive are online - so no guarantee that there a record of baptism available for 'your' Henry. There can also be gaps in registers, damaged pages etc

S.
My Surname Interests

Offline GeorgiyH

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 03 April 13 20:37 BST (UK) »
Thank you for that information.