Author Topic: British army East indies/ cape of good hope  (Read 1300 times)

Offline philsearch

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
British army East indies/ cape of good hope
« on: Tuesday 07 June 05 20:03 BST (UK) »
Hi, My wifes Great Grandfather Frederick Summers was born at sea off the coast of Africa in abt 1857. His mother Anna born 1826 in the east indies was on the 1861 census as head of family in Kensington st Mary Abbott. She was down as being the wife of Staff ........? Major K or H Summers. There was also a Madeleine Houlton  mother of Head born east indies in abt 1802. The cape of good hope info comes from Fredericks sister Mary born abt 1859. Any help with further info on Annas father ........... Houlton, presumably an officer in the army or Major Summers would be fantastic. Heres hoping, Phil.
My email address is not working - sorry

Offline manmack

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: British army East indies/ cape of good hope
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 15 June 05 20:32 BST (UK) »
phil,its staff sgt/major,mack
military history,mainly ww1,manchester pals battalions,tyneside irish +tyneside scottish brigades,leeds,liverpool,accrington,birmingham,hull,barnsley,swansea and salford pals.

Offline philsearch

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 15 June 05 21:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Mack, Well its a start but where to go from here i dont know. I have posted several messages on different sites but no more info yet. Thanks very much though, best wishes, Phil.

Offline manmack

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 16 June 05 00:07 BST (UK) »
phil,there are cds out with names and other info about the east india coy,i think he was a soldier in the east india coy,mack
military history,mainly ww1,manchester pals battalions,tyneside irish +tyneside scottish brigades,leeds,liverpool,accrington,birmingham,hull,barnsley,swansea and salford pals.

Offline philsearch

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 16 June 05 06:37 BST (UK) »
Ok Mack, I will look into the best one or ones to get. I thought he would be easy to find. But as the song about WW1 went    One staff officer jumped right over another staff officers back    Cheers, Phil.