Author Topic: Whitechurch, New Ross / Cleary & Doyle  (Read 25290 times)

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Whitechurch, New Ross / Cleary & Doyle
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 04 April 13 19:10 BST (UK) »
Given age listed for Elizabeth I would expect that the marriage was well after the start of civil records in 1864, so should appear in the BMD Index, which is available on the FamilySearch website. The references on the Index can be used to order a research cert which would include the details I mentioned earlier. Father's names and occupations are on civil marriage certs - details of mother's are not included.

RC Parish records often dont include father's name - depend on the date and parish involved.

see : Details included on a Civil Marriage Cert

The pay-website I mentioned doesn't include records for Suttons RC parish at the moment (which is the RC parish for Whitechurch, Ballykelly etc ).

The marriage may be listed under a variation in spelling of their names, making it difficult to locate, or possibly somewhere outside the area.. making it more difficult to spot in the listings.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline bmk923

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 04 April 13 19:27 BST (UK) »
So I found this:

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FY3K-1NR

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FY32-QQS

Marriage record for an Eliza Doyle (which she went by) and a Patrick Cleary in 1875. The "digital file" has the same number.  I'm assuming this is the marriage record.

But that would put her being only 10 years old.  Did they really marry that young?   in 1901, she was 36 per the census.  Her daughter, Mary was 18.  Mary was born in 1880.     

Offline bmk923

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 04 April 13 19:28 BST (UK) »
Nevermind, just found another marriage record for Eliza Doyle in 1880.  That has to be when they got married.  Makes sense.  But no Patrick Cleary marriage record for that time.  Only in 1875

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 04 April 13 19:43 BST (UK) »
that's the problem with Doyle - very common surname in the east.

I was focusing on the Cleary name instead, but no prominsing matches in the the area that I found. Will try again later..

Cant think of any obvious alternate surnames or variations at the moment - other than maybe Clary ?

Elizabeth's age is fairly consistent on the two census returns, so I think probably accurate..
10 sound a little young for a marriage... I was thinking just before 1880 was a likely timeframe..

S.
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline culbaire

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 04 April 13 22:22 BST (UK) »
The two marriages referenced in 1875 are completely different volumes and page numbers. These would have to be the same if they had married each other.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 04 April 13 22:24 BST (UK) »
Phillip Cleary married Ciss Keane/Kane from Moneytucker (but I have no idea what Ciss stands for) nor can I find any marriage records. 

found a possible Probate calendar entry for one of your Clearys ..  name and address are familiar ...

Deceased : Philip Cleary
  Address : Whitechurch, New Ross, Co. Wexford
  Date of Death :  11 May 1958
  Date of App. : 21 May 1960
  Date of Grant : 28 May (1960 ?)
  Grantee : Mary Cleary (Wd.)
  Assets : £ 434
  Registry : W/ford.   (Waterford)

matches up with this Index record :

Name : Philip Cleary
  Event Type: Death
  Quarter and Year: Apr - Jun 1958
  Registration District: New Ross
  Volume 4 / Page 373

My Surname Interests

Offline culbaire

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 04 April 13 22:53 BST (UK) »
A Philip Cleary and a Mary Kane both have same volume and page number for a marriage in the Enniscorthy Registration district in 1940. Moneytucker would be in Enniscorthy Reg district. 'Ciss' was a type of 'pet name' - could have been used with any first name

Offline bmk923

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 05 April 13 03:02 BST (UK) »
Wow!!! You are amazing!!! Thank you!  Where did you find the Marriage record between Phillip and Mary Kane?  Is there a link? 

I noticed on the marriage record that ther was a Mary Kane and a Mary Keane.  Could be either one, I guess right?  I've seen records that he married a Keane and a Kane.

Also since that info you have above, if Mary was the grantee of Phillip, its safe to assume she was still alive in 1958, correct?

Anything on a Simon Cleary? 

Also per that link, Willie Cleary married Bridget/Brigid Colfer in 1933.  But I can't find any kids on them.  Elizabeth Cleary's obituary said they were from Whitechurch.

or a death of a Mary Molloy (nee Cleary).  She died before between 1924-1942.

Offline bmk923

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 05 April 13 03:09 BST (UK) »
I noticed on the marriage record that ther was a Mary Kane and a Mary Keane.  Could be either one, I guess right?  I've seen records that he married a Keane and a Kane.