Author Topic: Whitechurch, New Ross / Cleary & Doyle  (Read 25417 times)

Offline bmk923

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Whitechurch, New Ross / Cleary & Doyle
« Reply #36 on: Monday 22 April 13 17:23 BST (UK) »
Ok thanks.  Since its just an estimated birth year, is it even worth trying to obtain a birth certificate?  I haven't found any birth notice/record yet on him.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Monday 22 April 13 17:31 BST (UK) »
Ok thanks.  Since its just an estimated birth year, is it even worth trying to obtain a birth certificate?  ....

not - unless you think his age at death might be overestimated by 14 years. The year of birth is based on reported age at death - might be worth checking who that is. A close family member is possibly more likely to be accurate.

I would start the search based on the approx. 1850 date of birth and try to match that up in parish records, comparing against details from his marriage cert and other clues - e.g. census.

I've seen ages out by 10 years, but not as much as 14, but the problem is if the age is unreliable then you would need some other clues to see if this is the James Cleary that you are actually searching for...

Have you found this James on the 1901 census ?
His location might help - he may be nowhere near Whitechurch (New Ross district covered a wide area )

Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Monday 22 April 13 18:01 BST (UK) »
Ok thanks.  Since its just an estimated birth year, is it even worth trying to obtain a birth certificate?  I haven't found any birth notice/record yet on him.

very few Wexford parish records online a the moment so not surprising there are no baptism matches showing up for the 1850s.

I would treat any later record giving age or date of birth as an estimate..the source you need is a birth cert or baptism record.

p.s. One detail to bear in mind is that New Ross district also covered parts of Counties Kilkenny and Carlow.

link to additional thread : Doyle/ Barron
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Loogie14

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Friday 14 March 14 00:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi there, Hope you dont mind just stumbled across this thread. I also have been having struggles with the Doyle name, so common in Wexford!! Ive hit a brick wall at my Great Great Grandfather Thomas Doyle and seem to be stuck for the past number of years!! No idea when he was born or died, who he married or if he had more children other than just my Great Grandad. I just know his name was on my Great Grandfather Patrick Doyles Marriage Cert to Elizabeth Barnewell in 1911.  My aunt believes that my relatives are buried in whitechurch, whether that's correct or not im unsure. My relatives would have come from Horetown in Foulksmills, and I'm Just curious as to whether the whitechurch area would be near the Foulksmills area? And any idea how to narrow down the Doyle name, I just seem to be coming across alot of irrelevant info. I did strangely enough stumble across a photograph of a man named James Barnewell, no idea if he was a relative of Eliza or not but had an uncanny resemblance to my Grandfather and even my own Dad!! Strange the things you would find! Any help or advice on getting passed a brick wall would be great if you have any! cheers!

Offline conahy calling

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Saturday 15 March 14 09:06 GMT (UK) »
http://www.distancesfrom.com/

re distance from Whitechurch, New Ross to Foulksmills, the link calculates 23km. :)

Offline Clearygirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Thursday 22 March 18 12:50 GMT (UK) »
I've been on the search for my Cleary family from Whitechurch, New Ross, Co. Wexford.  I recently got into contact with some distant relatives who we all share the same great great great grandparents, Patrick Cleary (died 1907) in Whitechurch and Elizabeth Mary Cleary (nee Doyle) died (1941).  I have her obituary where it lists that she came from a very popular well known family.  My great grandfather, Pierce Francis Cleary (1892-1963) and his sister Marcella Hanlon (Cleary) seem to be the only siblings that came to the Chicago.  Pierce moved back to Ireland once his wife, Helena passed away (1960).  He also remarried a Margaret before he moved to Ireland.  Everyone else (Simon, Willie, Phillip, Helena (Lena) stayed in Wexford.   I found a 1933 wedding picture of Willie and his wife Bridget online, but nothing else.

I know Helena Cleary married Myles Roban of Enniscorthy.   I would love to find more information on Patrick and Elizabeth Cleary! 

Brittany

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline Clearygirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Thursday 22 March 18 13:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi bmk923
I am related to you. My grandfather is Walter Cleary and my grandmother Mary Doyle. They had 7 children: Patrick Cleary He died in his 40's. Margaret (Peggie)Cleary she is still alive and lives in Ballykelly just outside New Ross. James (also died in his 40's) and Joseph ( also died in his 40's) They all resided in New Ross. Then there was Elizabeth Cleary she married Barry Goodland and moved to England. She is still alive. Then my mother Mary who married Michael Lanigan in 1955 and moved first to England and then to Australia wher my brother Michael and myself still live. Sadly my mum passed away in 2012. She always used to talk about "aunt Ciss" which I think is a diminutive of Cecilia. She used to help out my grandmother and my mum loved her dearly. Then the last child was Simon or "Sim". He lived into his late 40's early 50's.  Aunt Lena was my grandfather's sister. She was nvolved in the Republican movement and I beleive she spent some time in Kilmainham jail Dublin. Uncle Willie movedo Fremantle in Australia which is why you cant find him.  Hope that helps. Please chat back we must be third cousins or something. Regards Mary

Online Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Thursday 15 September 22 16:42 BST (UK) »
Hi there, Hope you dont mind just stumbled across this thread. I also have been having struggles with the Doyle name, so common in Wexford!! Ive hit a brick wall at my Great Great Grandfather Thomas Doyle and seem to be stuck for the past number of years!! No idea when he was born or died, who he married or if he had more children other than just my Great Grandad. I just know his name was on my Great Grandfather Patrick Doyles Marriage Cert to Elizabeth Barnewell in 1911.  My aunt believes that my relatives are buried in whitechurch, whether that's correct or not im unsure. My relatives would have come from Horetown in Foulksmills, and I'm Just curious as to whether the whitechurch area would be near the Foulksmills area? And any idea how to narrow down the Doyle name, I just seem to be coming across alot of irrelevant info. I did strangely enough stumble across a photograph of a man named James Barnewell, no idea if he was a relative of Eliza or not but had an uncanny resemblance to my Grandfather and even my own Dad!! Strange the things you would find! Any help or advice on getting passed a brick wall would be great if you have any! cheers!

This thread is about the other Whitechurch, the one near New Ross.
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline steph1012

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Thursday 11 May 23 18:26 BST (UK) »
Hi I’m a Doyle from Foulksmills, and my family all came from Foulksmills, a lot still alive today, if you want I could try find some info