Author Topic: Newbie in Ireland - LINN/LYNN CUNNINGHAM/CUNINGHAM  (Read 6890 times)

Offline cocksie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Newbie in Ireland - LINN/LYNN CUNNINGHAM/CUNINGHAM
« on: Thursday 04 April 13 07:23 BST (UK) »
Hi folks
I have decided to "hit" one of my brickwalls and am right out of my comfort zone in Ireland.  I have a Robert Linn/Lynn & his wife Mary Anne (nee Cunningham/Cuningham) immigrating to Oz on the vessel, Wilson, arriving 7 Jan 1842.

Question(s) 1 - "BANNAHAUGH, Londonderry"
Both are listed as Protestant natives of Bannahaugh, Londonderry on their immigration records.
I have looked through the Tipperary resources and am stumped - cannot find "Bannahaugh".  Am imagining an Irish accent and a not so literate/geographically knowledgable immigration officer ..... would Bonnanaboigh sound like "Bannahaugh"?

Although a trawl on the internet brings up a parish of Banagher ..... somewhere near Dungiven???

Question(s) 2 - "BOVAVO, Londonderry"
On both the death certificates for these two the following information is consistent:
A.  Marriage 1833/1835 (what's a couple of years?) at "Bovavo, Londonderry"
B.  Born (he in abt 1812 and she abt 1809 - albeit somewhat different on immigration records) at "Bovavo, Londonderry".
Working through the Londonderry resource lists ..... am wondering could this be Bovevagh?  Not sure how one pronounces "Bovevagh"?

HELP!!!!
Am I on the right track ....... or, as I suspect, completely lost?
cocksie

Hallidays of Northowram, Roberts of Hovingham, Stampers of Kirkdale, Cocks of Mary Tavy Devon, Cocks of Redruth Cornwall, Manser of Sussex, Axel of East Sussex, Palmer of East Sussex, Hermitage of Sussex, Smale of Kent, Haddon of Devon, Cuthill of Kinross-shire, Lynn of Ireland, Seymour of Cork

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Newbie in Ireland - LINN/LYNN CUNNINGHAM/CUNINGHAM
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 04 April 13 07:34 BST (UK) »
Hi,
   I believe that you are on the right track. The townland (a small administrative area) is Bonnaboigh which is in the Parish of Bovevagh ( sometimes spelled BOVEVA or BOVEVAH). I live there.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 04 April 13 07:39 BST (UK) »
Hi,
    Had a look in my notes and found that Robert LYNN married Mary Anne CUNINGHAM in Bovevagh Presbyterian Church on 21 Nov 1835.

Regards
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline cocksie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 04 April 13 07:44 BST (UK) »
Crikey, that was fast .....
Question:  you have written "Bonnaboigh" .... a list of townlands I have on my screen in front of me in the Civil Parish of Bovevagh lists the name as "Bonnanaboigh".  Are these two spellings the same place?

So I am going to look for these two in County of Londonderry, Barony of Keenaght, Civil parish of Bovevagh, Poor Law Union of Newtown Limavady, Province of Ulster ........ am not sure what all this means but am sure I will learn.

I have had a squiz at the pay credit Irish website and cannot find much (ie zilch) on Linn/Lynn births (Father Robin, Mother Elizabeth (nee Muldoon - which doesn't sound too Irish to me). Neither can I find many Cunninghams with a father James and mother Mary ....... in this area - as yet.

Is Dungiven far away?
Apologies if this is a stupid question.
I think it's time I got out the maps and tried to work out where, exactly, I am in Ireland.
Plus time to internet research on the area and work out what's what.

Thank you for your time and positive response.
cocksie
Hallidays of Northowram, Roberts of Hovingham, Stampers of Kirkdale, Cocks of Mary Tavy Devon, Cocks of Redruth Cornwall, Manser of Sussex, Axel of East Sussex, Palmer of East Sussex, Hermitage of Sussex, Smale of Kent, Haddon of Devon, Cuthill of Kinross-shire, Lynn of Ireland, Seymour of Cork

Offline cocksie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 04 April 13 07:48 BST (UK) »
And again, you are fast.
I was given the date of this marriage (years ago) as 27 Nov 1835 at Bovevagh,  but there was no evidence accompanying the information - so thank you for that .....

When you say "your notes" - does that mean you have been sitting there waiting for a query for a Lynn/Cunningham marriage? ;D ;D ;D For years?

"Your notes" sound very interesting.
cocksie

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 04 April 13 08:04 BST (UK) »
Hi, 
    Yes, it was a spelling mistake on my part. If you enter "Burnfoot Dungiven" into Google Maps and find Bovevagh Road you are looking at the townland of Bonnanaboigh which is about three miles north of Dungiven. My notes were copied from church records some years ago.
    I have also found that in the 1841 census (copied down in 1908 to prove age when the old age pension was introduced) there is a William Lynn 30, Margaret Lynn 30, William Lynn 5, James Lynn 3, and James Lynn 1 month. I assume the earlier James died young. They lived in the townland of Bevevagh which is also in the Parish of Bovevagh and next to Bonnanaboigh.

Regards
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline cocksie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 04 April 13 08:21 BST (UK) »
Am in google maps now trying to "locate" myself.
Have found the Bovevagh Presbyterian Church in Camnish Road ..... I think this is right.
Although I have also just found the remains of Bovevagh Old Church on Bovevagh Road ..... not sure what this is.

Have found Dungiven - very very close.  Also found this information on the web:
"Dungiven is a small town and townland in County Londonderry, Northern Ireland
Church of Ireland Dungiven Church.  The first church on the site fell into disrepair by 1814.  The worshippers uses their sister parish church at Banagher until the current church was built in 1816.  The parish was separated from Banagher in 1850"

BANAGHER sounds very like Bannahaugh ......

Next question:  Where does one find the 1841 census online?
I know from Robert and Mary Anne's immigration records (and backed up by death cert information) that Robert Lynn's parents were Robin and Elizabeth (nee Muldoon), both alive in Jan 1842. 
Mary Anne's parents were James and Mary Cunningham.  Father was alive in 1842, mother dead.  Father was a farmer.

Hence my interest in the 1841 census.

The Lynns you have listed interest me as William Lynn is of right age to be a possible sibling.  My Robert Lynn's first born was a William Lynn ...... interesting.

Thank you for your amazingly quick and helpful responses.
cocksie

Offline cocksie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 04 April 13 08:44 BST (UK) »
Ok .... am working through possible online resources.
Seems to me the church records for the Presbyterian Church Bovevagh start around 1817/1818 so I am unlikely to find baptisms of Robert Lynn or Mary Anne Cunningham.  But I may find later siblings - if I am lucky.

So my next option is the 1831 census listing head of household - in this case a James Cunningham and a Robin Lynn in the area.  I have found a BillMcAfee transcript site listing all of Derry it appears!  What a lot of work!  So will trawl through that.

Question:  Could a/or is it a local likliehood that a Robin Lynn would also be known as a Robert Lynn, ie "pet" name?

Seems there are also something called Tithe listings 1826 Banagher, 1827 Bovevagh
Plus possibly gravestone listings ...... principally for a Mary Cunningham dead somewhere between, say, 1816 and 1841 (long shot but one never knows what could be on a gravestone)

Ok - I have a lot of trawling to do!
Thank you, once again
cocksie

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 04 April 13 09:01 BST (UK) »
Hi,
   From the 1831 census (heads of households only)
James Cunningham Townland of Camnish
James Cunningham Townland of Derryork

Robert Lynn Townland of Bovevagh.

Regards
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim