Author Topic: Montgomery  (Read 5070 times)

Offline duckman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Montgomery
« on: Tuesday 07 June 05 22:07 BST (UK) »
Looking for Info on the village of Conlig. my GGrandfather Robert Montgomery was born there 1855. His parents were Joseph and Sarah Finlay, she died in Newtownards Infimary. Robert married Margaret McLement at Ballygrainey church 1878.
Montgomery - Conlig Carluke New Zealand.
Moorcroft - Keady Armagh Cambusnethan Old Monklands.
Muircroft - Lanarkshire Fife Ohio
Farrell - Baltinglass Ireland, Arlecdon Penrith Cumbria Dumfries Stranraer
Cairns - Cambusnethan West Lothian.
Brown - Biggar, Carmichael, Kirkurd Wamphrey
Brown - Penpont, Sanquhar.
Fingland - Penpont, Closeburn.
Rylands - Penrith.
Kerr/Curr - Carluke
Paterson - Cambusnethan West Lothian
Young - Crawford Sanquhar Latheron
Craw - Edinburgh Abercorn
Muir - West Lothian

Offline Pat Reid

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Montgomery
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 08 June 05 06:51 BST (UK) »
Conlig is 4 miles south of Bangor on the Newtownards road according to a listing in Ros Davies's site    http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~rosdavies/PLACENAMES/CiCz.htm

You will also find a townland map as well. Ballygrainey can be found on map also. You may want to check the extensive listings there on Montgomery.

Good luck,

Pat
Reid, McAlinden, Larmour, Mulholland, Kelly
Warrenpoint, Rostrevor, Rathfriland

Offline OTTO

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 08 June 05 11:30 BST (UK) »
Hi,
    the following info was extracted from :
http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/frameset_search.asp

Robert Montgomery     
Birth:  14 Aug 1855  Conlig. N. Ireland 
Death:  13 Jan 1942  Carluke 
Burial:    Place:   Carluke 

Father:  Joseph Montgomery     
Mother:  Sarah Finlay     

Spouse:  Margaret Clark McLimond   
Marriage:  25 Oct 1878  Bangor. N. Ireland 

OTTO

Offline duckman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 08 June 05 19:20 BST (UK) »
Thanks folks, but this info is which I already have. what I am looking for is info on the village and the Montgomery family who lived there in the late 1800S. The original village was demolished in the 1950's  to make way for a new road and redevelopment.
Montgomery - Conlig Carluke New Zealand.
Moorcroft - Keady Armagh Cambusnethan Old Monklands.
Muircroft - Lanarkshire Fife Ohio
Farrell - Baltinglass Ireland, Arlecdon Penrith Cumbria Dumfries Stranraer
Cairns - Cambusnethan West Lothian.
Brown - Biggar, Carmichael, Kirkurd Wamphrey
Brown - Penpont, Sanquhar.
Fingland - Penpont, Closeburn.
Rylands - Penrith.
Kerr/Curr - Carluke
Paterson - Cambusnethan West Lothian
Young - Crawford Sanquhar Latheron
Craw - Edinburgh Abercorn
Muir - West Lothian

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 19 December 06 03:17 GMT (UK) »
Conlig Presbyterian Church was built in 1848. It's the only place of worship in the village today. Eddie Irvine, the former Formula 1 driver, is a famous son of Conlig where his Dad had a car scrap yard. Another person from the village was Viscount William James Pirrie (1847-1924), who replaced Edward Harland as Chairman of Harland and Wolff. He would possibly have been there at the same time as the Montgomery family. Ballygrainey Presbyterian Church is a few miles from Conlig. I would assume the Montgomerys were a Presbyterian family. They probably attended the Church which opened in 1848 although there was a Baptist Church in the townland of Conlig in the mid 1800s. The NI Libraries have four items about Conlig which might contain some more information about the village.

Ros Davies Co. Down Ireland Genealogy Research site mentions ... Joseph Montgomery of Conlig village; leased a house & small garden from representatives of Arthur Appleton in 1863. The village school opened in 1833. The Newtownards Mining Company had a lead mine in Clonlig townland in 1863.

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 22 December 06 07:29 GMT (UK) »
I find it  hard to tell what information you want to know about the interesting and ever changing Conlig, eg Google search, Ros Davies website has been mentioned to you, it contains photos [and a contact] and newspaper cutting references, church records etc that exist. Then how about the Public Record Office of Northern Ireland [PRONI] ie www.proni.gov.uk/ . their databases include eg freeholders, covenanters, etc. 
The leaseholders over the last 200 +years probably include the surnames Allan-Boden-Bowden-Boyd-Duff-Dunn-Makey-McAlister-McBurney-McClement-McCloy-McCoy-McCutcheon-Miller-Neilson-Pirrie ?-Smiley-Thompson-Walshman-Watterson-White. Some of these leaseholder documents may include maps. I say probably because there may be another Conlig in Co Tyrone and I havent the time to work out which is which.
However when the Ulster Covenant in 1912 is being signed or its declaration is being signed the surnames don’t include any of these names, but do include probably Adorian-Brown-Burns-Cammock-Carlisle-Conway-Cooke-Cowan-Dalzell-Finlay-Gambill-Gamble-Gordon-Hamilton-Hanna-Henderson-Johnston-Leodley-Lightbody-Lowry-Lynn-Major-McCooleagh-McCreedy-McGimpsey-McMeekin-Montgomery-Moore-Mulholland-Rea-Russell-Scott-Sloan-Smith-Stone-Syria-Welsh-Williamson.   Then you examine the gender of the signatories and nearly all are female. This is an extraordinary result compared to many localities where the balance is normally a large male majority. So what was the reason? Why are none of the surnames among the leaseholders. What does it mean?. While discussing PRONI, they have many large collections of Montgomery papers listed in the private collections, presumably some include the Conlig connection.

The six inch OS maps dated 1830s and 1860s exist at OSNI, and at the LinenHall Library, Belfast.  Comparing the two maps is easy and interesting, the townland area is about A4 size.
The archaelogy will be covered in books and journals. Flora and Fauna may well recorded.

I would be interested to know if any of the mineworkers died of lead poisoning or sterility from same. Was there any radioactive material found at the mine. You have references for some books covering this.  Socially the area seems to have been used for motor or motorbike events. Did the TT races go thro the area
In WW2 the german bombers would have been coming overhead on a flight path to Belfast, are there any memories recorded.

I wondered if some local history group has ever existed? Have you tried the local Library hdgs at Ballynahinch?
Finally I have part of a simple family tree relating to a branch of Whitlas in the Conlig area, who migrated to Canada.
Good luck on your search, Jim
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 22 December 06 11:21 GMT (UK) »
Hiya duckman, Pat Reid, OTTO and BallyaltikilliganG,

The Spectator Group newspapers of Bangor and Newtownards may contain articles about Conlig. The Bangor and Newtownards Libraries may have an index for these papers .. the Ballynahinch Library has and the SEELB HQ in Ballynahinch has the microfiche films of the papers so that you should be able to read any articles there are about this area of Co. Down.

Have a Happy Christmas and a Peaceful and Prosperous New Year.

Chris

Offline Pat Reid

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 23 December 06 05:38 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Chris, and a Happy Christmas to you as well. Hope the New Year is a rewarding one for you in all you do.
You too, Jim. Take care all.

Nollaig Shona agus Beannachtai,

Pat
Reid, McAlinden, Larmour, Mulholland, Kelly
Warrenpoint, Rostrevor, Rathfriland

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 23 December 06 13:31 GMT (UK) »
Pat, may next year  be your best year yet,  I have got carried away on Conlig and have supplied an item to www,caora.net TO SEE WHAT MORE COMES FORWARD.  ;DJIM
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide