Author Topic: Annan Old graveyard at Town Hall  (Read 11362 times)

Offline soapy1

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Annan Old graveyard at Town Hall
« on: Friday 05 April 13 19:38 BST (UK) »
I'm just back from a couple of days at Dumfries/Annan areas. I finally got to the graveyard at the back of the townhall, but couldn't find the headstone I was looking for. I went to the Museum too. and bought a booklet about the graveyard and according to it , the one I'm looking for hasn't been used as paving
Does anyone know if there is a plan of the lairs and who to contact?
Beresford/Beresfield/Gamble/Beck  in Co Down Ireland & Airdrie, Scotland // Burnett/Burnet in , Middlebie/Annan Areas,//  Wilson, Dornan, McAleese from Airdrie & Ireland

Offline imchad

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Annan Old graveyard at Town Hall
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 06 April 13 22:13 BST (UK) »
Remember that these inscriptions were taken almost 50 years ago.  many stones have weathered, fallen, etc and perhaps no longer there.

Ian

Offline soapy1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 07 April 13 09:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Ian,

I wasn't aware that the booklet was so old, however I thought that there should be a lair plan as they have for my local graveyard. The graves there are from around 1700. I found some relatiions graves because of it. I was really wondering who to contact. I asked at the Town Hall, but they didn't know
Beresford/Beresfield/Gamble/Beck  in Co Down Ireland & Airdrie, Scotland // Burnett/Burnet in , Middlebie/Annan Areas,//  Wilson, Dornan, McAleese from Airdrie & Ireland

Offline imchad

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 07 April 13 09:22 BST (UK) »
Hi
Dumfries and Galloway council adopted the graveyards in 1929. They did inherit some lair plans but not many. this graveyard was closed to burials many years ago.

You could try asking the Council at the Harthill depot in Lockerbie. Details should be on the Council website www.dumgal.gov.uk

I remember once trying to find a plot and the council sent a man out with a long rod to poke holes!

Ian

Offline soapy1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 07 April 13 21:08 BST (UK) »
thanks Ian, I'll give them a try

Offline cupcake

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My G Grandfather - Robert Johnstone Moffat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 22 August 13 11:20 BST (UK) »

Hi,

Was reading your post regarding looking for headstones.

There is also the Annan Old Parish Church graveyard. I have the Memorial Inscriptions book for this, if you would like me to look up a name for you.

cupcake
Moffat- Mein - Titterington - Kidman

Offline soapy1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 22 August 13 17:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Cupcake,

I didn't get any help re the old graveyard at the back of the town hall.

I know the inscription details...I was really wanting to know it's location in the graveyard itself. I couldn't see it, but as you know, it could have fallen down or weathered by now.

I even see that there's a path made from headstones too.

Thanks anyway, Elspeth

Offline cupcake

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My G Grandfather - Robert Johnstone Moffat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 22 August 13 18:40 BST (UK) »

Hi Elspeth,

Not a problem. I do also have the Annan (Town Hall) Old Burial Ground Memorial Inscriptions. I realise you have the inscription details but, each inscription in the book, has a reference number, which may or, may not help you locate where the headstone was.

Kind regards

cupcake
Moffat- Mein - Titterington - Kidman

Offline ScottishAncestry

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 23 September 13 19:42 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I just wanted to make sure you are aware that the Old Parish Church Graveyard is not the one at the back of the town hall. The Old Parish Church graveyard is the one on Church Street. Did you check in both? What is the title of the book that you have?

Ian is right though Gilchrist did the transcriptions years ago and some have been lost since.

Emma