Author Topic: Looking for Daniel Samuel Hunt a 'Sea Captain'  (Read 19769 times)

Offline BonnieDownUnder

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Daniel Samuel Hunt a 'Sea Captain'
« Reply #36 on: Tuesday 12 August 14 09:04 BST (UK) »
Thanks Brijenik for making contact.
Must admit I haven't delved much more into trying to find out what happened to Captain Daniel Samuel Hunt since my last message listed here.   
The TROVE article looks interesting so will follow up on the names listed.
Thanks again, Bonnie

Offline alethea72

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Friday 04 December 15 10:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bonny,
I am trying to get in touch with you in regards to Daniel Samuel Hunt Sea Captain. He was actually my great grandfather on my father's side. He came to and remarried Pinjarra, Western Australia in about 1901 to my great grand mother Janet Marr and she was from Scotland. I think you would be very interested in what genealogical information my dad has regarding this side of the Hunt family. Daniel Samuel was from Poplar, London, UK. 

If you are interested in getting in touch with my father his name is Mr Mervyn Hunt we come from Glen Forrest, Western Australia. I would really love to hear from you regarding our interest in the same family.

Alethea Hunt

Offline jamkid

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Friday 29 April 16 01:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Alethea,

It seems that your great grandmother Janet Marr was the younger sister of my great grandmother Helen Marr, who was born in Scotland in 1859. I would be very interested in any information you or your father could share with me regarding the Marr family, and I'd be happy to offer you anything I have, too.

I think their father Robert McGregor Marr (our great great grandfather) may also have visited Australia in 1902 or thereabouts, with his children James and Margaret. I've managed to trace Janet's arrival in Perth to 1892, when she left Scotland on the SS Echuca as one of a group of female immigrants bound for the colony. I'm sure there is much more to be told!

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Offline alethea72

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Friday 29 April 16 02:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Jamkid,

My dad would greatly appreciate any information to this side of the Hunt family. It is very exciting to know we have distant relatives to the Scottish side of the family. There is no way of me sending you a more personal message.

If you could search my family address to Glen Forrest, Western Australia we are in the phone book under M and JC Hunt.

Look me up at my place of work in Tuart Hill, WA. I work at Tuart College Library as a Library Technician.

Regards
Alethea

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Friday 29 April 16 08:51 BST (UK) »
There is no way of me sending you a more personal message.

Welcome to you both! :)

If the two of you each place another message or two on this thread, you'll be able to use the PM (personal message) system. The system isn't fully available until you have made 2 (perhaps 3) posts on the board.  If a person had made only 1 post, you may be able to send them a message ... but they won't be able to reply.  :-\
Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days alive.

Offline jamkid

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Friday 29 April 16 09:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Geoff-E,

Thanks so much for your advice, it sounds like a great plan! 😊

Cheers,
Jamkid

Offline jamkid

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Sunday 23 October 16 04:29 BST (UK) »
Hi,

To those who may be interested in Daniel Samuel Hunt and his family, I am posting a summary of the information made available by his descendants in Perth, Western Australia.

Daniel Samuel HUNT was the 3rd child of Stephen HUNT (1825-1880) and Matilda WOOTTEN (1829-1864). They married on 23 June 1849 at St Luke's Church in Charlton, Kent, England and later moved to Poplar. Their children were: Stephen William HUNT b. 18 Aug 1849  d. 23 Sept 1925; Matilda Emma Eldridge HUNT b.28 May 1851 d. after 1932; Daniel Samuel HUNT b.7 July 1853 d. 6 June 1924; Samuel Charles HUNT b. 11 June 1857  d. 24 March 1878; Charles Henry HUNT b. 26 Aug 1860  d. 16 Feb 1925; Mary Anne HUNT b. 6 Sept 1862  d. 28 Aug 1932.

Daniel Samuel HUNT married Sarah Jane BRANDON on 18 Aug 1875 in Caistor, Lincolnshire. They went on to have a large family:

1.  Daniel Samuel HUNT b.14 Sept 1875 Caistor, Lincolnshire  d. 25 May 1876 aged 1 year.

2.  Mary Emmitt HUNT b.13 March 1878 Caistor, Lincolnshire  m. (1) William Joseph Henry GERRARD 5 Dec 1897 (2) Oliver James SEARL 29 April 1923 

3. Samuel Daniel HUNT b.21 Nov 1880 Caistor, Lincolnshire m. Georgina Patston in 1900 

4. Sarah Jane HUNT b. 10 July 1882 Caistor, Lincolnshire  m. James Stuart CRABB 26 Mar 1900

5. Robert Joseph HUNT b. 14 Feb 1884 Caistor, Lincolnshire m. Jane Elizabeth TERRY 17 May 1903

6. Cornelius HUNT b. 2 Dec 1885 Caistor, Lincolnshire  m. Ethel Maud BRADY 25 Dec 1907  d. 13 May 1915 on H.M.S. Goiath at Dardanelles, Turkey

7.  Daniel Samuel Jubilee HUNT b. 28 June 1887 Caistor, Lincolnshire  d. Sept 1916 in Adana, Turkey

8.  Alfred HUNT b.4 Dec 1890  d. 1 July 1917 in France

Daniel Samuel HUNT left his family in Lincolnshire and went missing sometime between 1890 and 1892, and was believed to be lost at sea. His wife Sarah, with seven children to support, and believing herself to be a widow, married Arthur Frederick SMITH on 17 Feb 1892 at All Saints in  Walworth,  Surry. They went on to have two sons, Arthur Frederick SMITH and George Charles Ronald SMITH.

Meanwhile, Daniel made his way to Western Australia around 1896, and remarried Janet MARR in Perth. Janet (b. 26 July 1873) was some 20 years his junior, and had emigrated to Perth in 1892 from Islay in Scotland. They married on 1 Nov 1900 at St John's Church in Pinjarra, Western Australia.

They had the following children:

1. Katie Maud HUNT b.8 March 1897 in Pinjarra, Western Australia  d. 7 Aug 1974 in Claremont, W.A.

2. Elizabeth Debra HUNT b. 21 Feb 1899 in Pinjarra  d. 3 Aug 1984

3. Daniel Samuel HUNT b. 9 Aug 1901 in Pinjarra  d. 2 July 1984

4. Decima Amelia HUNT b. 17 Aug 1903 in West Murray W. A. d. 16  July 1998

5. Janet HUNT b. 7 Dec 1904 in West Murray  d. 28 June 1966

6. Samuel Daniel HUNT b. 5 April 1906 in West Murray d. 1 July 1984

7. Victor HUNT b. 21 May 1908  d. 9 Dec 1996

Daniel Samuel HUNT died in Guildford W. A. on 6 June 1924.  His wife Janet MARR had died some nine years earlier, on 11 Oct 1915 at the Wireless Hill Station in Applecross.

Janet MARR was the daughter of Robert McGregor MARR, a cooper from Glasgow, Scotland (1833-1907), and Janet HART (1837-1894), who was born in Essequibo, British Guiana, when her parents were there as part of a Scottish labouring force in 1837.

If anyone wishes to learn more details about any of the people mentioned here, please contact me and I'll be happy to help!

Offline Huntfam

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Tuesday 06 March 18 16:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jamkid,

Am interested in any information about the Hunt family from when he married Janet Marr and moved to Pinjarra.

I think my grandmother was Janet Hunt born 7 December 1904 (but she died about 1976, not 1966).

Any further details appreciated. We only knew of one brother, Daniel Samuel.

cheers,
Huntfam

Offline Huntfam

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Tuesday 06 March 18 16:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jamkid,

Details I have of Janet Hunt:

Married Hubert Ward. Lived in several places around WA, including Maylands and Fremantle.
Three children:
Hubert b. 1925
Gilbert b. 1926
Leonard b. 1934

cheers,
Huntfam