Author Topic: Lookup: Emma Jane Danford baptised Ludlow 23 Jul 1832  (Read 4286 times)

Offline rickyhpierre

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Lookup: Emma Jane Danford baptised Ludlow 23 Jul 1832
« on: Sunday 07 April 13 01:13 BST (UK) »
Hi

I was hoping that someone could look up the parish registers for Ludlow in hopes of finding Emma Jane's baptism

Emma Jane Danford was baptised on 23 Jul 1832 in two places!  Well according to Familysearch.org she was!   In Ludlow England & also in Llanvair-Waterdine, Shropshire, England.  Her parents were Randall & Jane Danford.  she then goes on to be baptised in Wales 2 years later!

On January 4th 1834 Emma Jane Danford age 2 is baptised with her sister Mary also age 2 ( I think that is just an error), in Cadoxton Juxta Neath  Glamorganshire.  Parents again were Randall & Jane Danford.

On the 1841 census Emma Jane is living in Swansea with her mother Jane and sister Mary.
 Emma is recorded as being born "out of county" while Mary is born in Glamorganshire. Emma  on subsequent censuses records her birth as1832, and  Mary gives hers as 1835.

I am fairly certain that it is the same Emma Jane Danford but am at a loss to explain it!  Any suggestions?

Thanks

Ricky
Rixon/Rickson: Pembrokeshire, Kent, Scotland, Australia, S.A, USA
Sherlock: Kent, Pembrokeshire, Glamorgan, New Zealand, Australia, Canada
Yorath:  Glamorgan
Beaver/Beaver Portsea Hampshire
Cleaver Carmarthenshire Wales
Thomas:  Carmathenshire, Langfihangel Aberbythych,USA
Tyte: Gloucestershire, Glamorgan

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Lookup: Emma Jane Danford baptised Ludlow 23 Jul 1832
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 07 April 13 08:44 BST (UK) »
It wasn`t uncommon for fathers not to be present at baptisms because of their occupation , ie
mariner
navvy ( canal digger )
ag lab ....working on a farm miles away

so possibly when Mary is baptised - dad was there - and they baptised Emma Jane again ...not as uncommon as you would imagine

allan
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline shirl100

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 09 April 13 17:54 BST (UK) »
According to the transcriptions from www.freereg.ork.uk both Emma Jane and Mary were baptised Cadoxton Juxta Neath St Cattwyg 4 Jan 1835 parents Randel occupation butler and Jane Danford, abode Dyffryn.

There are more baptisms for Children born in Swansea on freereg if you haven't got them.

The 2 familysearch entries in Shropshire are both parish record extracts with father shown as Randall and Rendell but if you can look at the actual parish registers that should give a bit more information.

Shirl
North,Noble,Harrison,Seller - North Riding Yorks parishes
Brown,Brooks,Watson - Belper/Duffield Derbys
Hole - Ashover Derbys
Webb, Flavell, Mason - Staffs (mainly Sedgley)
Bevan,Beamond - Chirbury Shropshire
Longridge - Northumberland/Durham
Freeman - Hampshire, Oxfordshire,Sussex
Smith - Derbyshire and Yorkshire
Whitehead - Yorkshire
Morris - St Pancras Yorkshire etc

Offline rickyhpierre

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 09 April 13 18:21 BST (UK) »
Hi All

I have seen the pages of the P R for  Cadoxton Juxta Neath as they are on FindMyPast, so I have the other children's baptisms too, but thanks very much for doing the search.  Also thanks for letting me know second baptisms were not unusual.

It was the actual Shropshire PR pages I wanted a lookup for.  As I mentioned Emma Jane was shown as being baptised in two places!  One thing that came to mind that it may have been a private baptism with Emma Jane "brought into" the church as sometimes was the case.

I think I will have to order the microfilm from the nearest LDS family history centre, luckily there is one quite close to me.

Thanks again

Ricky
Rixon/Rickson: Pembrokeshire, Kent, Scotland, Australia, S.A, USA
Sherlock: Kent, Pembrokeshire, Glamorgan, New Zealand, Australia, Canada
Yorath:  Glamorgan
Beaver/Beaver Portsea Hampshire
Cleaver Carmarthenshire Wales
Thomas:  Carmathenshire, Langfihangel Aberbythych,USA
Tyte: Gloucestershire, Glamorgan