Author Topic: Chapel-en-le-Frith marriage, May 1837 Lookup  (Read 1181 times)

Offline Adnepos_Iacobi

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Chapel-en-le-Frith marriage, May 1837 Lookup
« on: Sunday 07 April 13 17:17 BST (UK) »
I am trying to work out which John LOMAS married Ann BRAMWELL at Thomas Becket, 2 May 1837. The couple lived at Crossings all their lives. All the census returns (he consistently reported he was born in Chapel) and his monumental inscription point to John being born late 1813 or early 1814. His will doesn't help out.

Some detail please from the marriage entry may help, in particular the names of the witnesses or perhaps the groom's profession if mentioned.

For your information, by far the strongest candidate is John son of Peter and Rachel because according to the christening details, he was born at Crossings (eldsest son, so might be expected to take over the farming there). But his christening was on 19 November 1815 (place but not date of birth mentoned), and folk in that part of the world tended to be dunked in ther first week or two of their lives; so he may be too young to fit the above details, I'd love to have something else to clinch this one and all I can think of to help is the marriage entry.

John son of James and Elizabeth of Tunstead Milton was born 30 April 1812 (so too old) and from the naming pattern of his children, clearly married Susannah Heathcote BARRATT and went to live in Heaton Norris. I don't think it's John son of James and Mary, christened 9 May 1813 -tad early (for the MI), born Peak Forest and had a perfectly good marriage to Mary GOODWIN in 1835 complete with good evidence of his later life. John son of John and Mary of Sparrowpit was born 19 Jan 1813 so he was too old and born in the wrong place. John son of John and Martha of Disley (strong Chapel connections) born 6 Feb 1815 in Disley so too young and born in the wrong place. Of course, there may be more Johns that have evaded my search.

Why he couldn't wait for civil registration to come in I don't know!
Powell (NTT) Hallam (DBY) Nadin (DBY) Hartley (Ancoats) Beech (Kirk Sandal) Potter (DBY)

Offline shirl100

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Chapel-en-le-Frith marriage, May 1837 Lookup
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 13 April 13 15:46 BST (UK) »
Hi there

From www.freereg.org the marriage has been transcribed Chapel En le Frith St Thomas a Becket  2 May 1837 John Lomas bachelor of Chapel En le Frith and Ann Bramwell spinster of Chapel En le Frith, no other details I am afraid.

And no other details Chapel En le Frith searching 1837 +/- 10 yrs for John Lomas & Mary Carrington in 1830 or John Lomas and Martha Longston 11 Apr 1837

Doesn't help your quest this time

Shirl

North,Noble,Harrison,Seller - North Riding Yorks parishes
Brown,Brooks,Watson - Belper/Duffield Derbys
Hole - Ashover Derbys
Webb, Flavell, Mason - Staffs (mainly Sedgley)
Bevan,Beamond - Chirbury Shropshire
Longridge - Northumberland/Durham
Freeman - Hampshire, Oxfordshire,Sussex
Smith - Derbyshire and Yorkshire
Whitehead - Yorkshire
Morris - St Pancras Yorkshire etc

Offline Adnepos_Iacobi

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
SORTED Chapel-en-le-Frith marriage, May 1837
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 03 December 17 19:59 GMT (UK) »
Sorted courtesy of the appearance of the parish register images on the internet!

The witnesses were William BRAMWELL and Joshua LOMAS. The bride had a living brother called William. And  John LOMAS b 19 Jan 1813 Sparrowpit (chr 14 Feb 1813 Chinley) has a brother Joshua; there are no other Joshua LOMASes in the neighbourhood.

Thank goodness the witness wasn't James/Thomas/&c LOMAS!

Problem solved!!

Powell (NTT) Hallam (DBY) Nadin (DBY) Hartley (Ancoats) Beech (Kirk Sandal) Potter (DBY)