Author Topic: Walter Smith/Christian Weir 1826 Cavers  (Read 2000 times)

Offline goldenwonder

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Walter Smith/Christian Weir 1826 Cavers
« on: Monday 08 April 13 15:13 BST (UK) »
Walter Smith and Christian Weir were married at Cavers on 15/1/1826.(IGI)  Walter was born 1802, I have all details of him and his second marriage when married to janet Little apart from their marriage date. However have recently discovered his first marriage to Christian Weir. I know he had a son Peter about 1826/7 and suspect she may have died soon after but unable to find details of him, Christian, or her family. Have tried IGI and scotlands people to no avail. Is there anyone who can give any information on them

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Walter Smith/Christian Weir 1826 Cavers
« Reply #1 on: Monday 08 April 13 18:53 BST (UK) »
I note that there are two people on Ancestry with Peter in their trees, his wife is noted as Margaret Richardson, they married in 1850 and had two daughters, Margaret died in 1852 when the second child was born.

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline goldenwonder

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 09 April 13 08:26 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your very helpful reply have noted details of the children of peter and his wife. I know he was born in Kirton near Cavers in 1926. I can not find any details of his mother,Christian Weir, apart from her marriage to Walter Smith. I would also like to trace Peter after his wife died. 

Regards  Grant

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 09 April 13 08:39 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Walter and Janet Smith plus family including Peter are listed on the 1841 Census. Peter is listed as 15 years old but his age could have been rounded up. There are 5 other children ranging from 2 months old to 8 ( probably his second marriage depending on when Christian died).
Walter and Jannet Smith are also on 1851 Census with 8 children not including Peter at Cavers

Peter and Margaret Smith are listed on 1851 Census at Cavers with a baby daughter Dorothy 2 months old. He is 25 and a Toll Bar Keeper.

I found that info on www.freecen.org.uk. Check it out for more details on both Walter and Peter.

But it looks like Christian died around early 1830's and you will need to check Old Parish Records to see if her death has been recorded.

Good luck with your research,
Looby

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 09 April 13 22:49 BST (UK) »
Hi again,

Same website www.freecen.org.uk-  1861 Census

Dorothea Smith age 11 Granddaughter   born Cavers Roxburghshire

Dorothea is living at St. Mary's Cottage, Yarrow, Selkirkshire with her grandmother
Isabella Richardson Widow age 77  Farmer of 7 acres.
William Richardson her son age 45 Agric. Labourer
Henry Burton her grandson age 25 Agric Labourer
and Margaret Moffat a domestic servant.

Looks like this is  Peter and Margaret Richardson's first child.

Looby

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 10 April 13 01:13 BST (UK) »
Me again,
Had found a marriage on www.familysearch.org in 1853 of a Peter Smith and a Margaret Tidman at Ettrick Selkirkshire which I thought might interest you.
Then when browsing Selkirkshire boards on this site noticed this http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,124603.0.html and thought you would want to check it out.

Looby

Offline goldenwonder

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 10 April 13 07:40 BST (UK) »
Many thanks looby for all your information, certainly plenty to sort out. Would appreciate if anyone could suggest where I can find Cavers parish records as I will be visiting area later this year. would the heritage hub in Hawick hold these records? Still curious about Christian Weir-Peter Smiths mother. Again many thanks looby.

Regards  Grant