Author Topic: CAVAN - Adams and McCullough  (Read 9957 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: CAVAN - Adams and McCullough
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 13 April 13 14:01 BST (UK) »
No need to contact PRONI- here's their list of church records which do include some Cavan churches-
http://www.proni.gov.uk/index_to_presbyterian_records-2.pdf

This list gives dates of earliest records-
http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~fianna/county/cavan/cavpres.html
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Les57

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 16 April 13 18:58 BST (UK) »
I have access to Presbyterian Church records for the Bailieborough area. In the marriage register of 1st Bailieborough (Corglass) Presbyterian Church which commences April 1845 I find the following: December 16th 1851 William Adams, 24 years, bachelor, farmer, Durnaskea. Father John Adams, farmer. Matilda McCullaugh, 17 years, spinster, Tatareagh. Father Thomas McCullaugh, farmer. Witnessed by Richard Adams and Jane Adams. Minister, Patrick White.

The townland of Durnaskea is obviously spelled wrong, it may well be as suggested Dernakesh, as it is a townland closer to Cootehill than Bailieborough. If you take the townland of Tatareagh which is close to Corglass the proper spelling is Tattyreagh, this shows that the minister wrote it as it sounded and as he perceived it was spelled. To the best of my knowledge the Adams name in the area was Church of Ireland. Baptismal records for Corglass commence Sept 1861. You can contact me at (*) Regards, Les.

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline Morris2013

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 17 April 13 07:22 BST (UK) »
Thanks for checking Les  :)    I've sent a pm

Kind Regards

Morris

Offline Les57

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile

Offline Les57

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 18 May 14 16:38 BST (UK) »
First Bailieborough Presbyterian Church (Corglass)

Offline bjadams

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 26 June 14 21:07 BST (UK) »
My father, Samuel Adams was born in Cootehill at Killaliss (sp?) house to Henry and Elizabeth (Foy). The Adams family in the area were Church of Ireland and when I visited the area, many years ago,  a cousin brought me to the church, which I think was All Saints. There were records and grave stones at the church going well back and I think that the main branch of the family was in Shercock and/or Corrranearry House. The family traces it's origins in Ireland to Col. James Adams who married Catherine Magennis the granddaughter of the Earl of Tyrone (O'Neill) circa 1620. His son, Capt James Adams had two sons. Samuel Adams of Monaghan whose family went extinct in 1903 and heir Capt James Adams of Monaghan and later Corranearry House.

My father emigrated first to Australia and later to the US and the home and lands went to his older brother also a William. My mother who my father met in NY was also from Cavan and a Hall. The Hall family was Presbyterian.

I don't know if it is still available but there was "A Genealogical History of the Family of Adams of Cavan" written by Rev. Benjamin William Adams D.D. The publication date is London 1903. Some of the information in this is available in Burkes "Landed Gentry".

Offline ashleyadams60

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 09 October 14 03:34 BST (UK) »
Morris,
I may well be the owner of the Ancestry tree you refer to.  William Adams 1827?-1882 and Matilda McCullough (1834 - 1922) were my great grandparents. Williams parents are believed to be John Adams and Jane Montgomery. I have relevant birth/marriage certificates.

For further information please feel free to contact me at (ashley.adams@godfrey.co.nz).
Regards,
A Adams