Poll

SHOW READ TOTAL

HOW MANY VOTES
0 (0%)
HOW MANY HAVE READ MY POSTS
2 (100%)

Total Members Voted: 2

Author Topic: Edward Henry Collingwood b.1817 - d.1878 Old Hong Kong  (Read 53754 times)

Offline Daniel Collingwood

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Edward Henry Collingwood b.1817 - d.1878 Old Hong Kong
« Reply #36 on: Sunday 02 February 14 23:39 GMT (UK) »
The 'Earl Grey' was a convict ship that Edward Henry was working on to repair hull copper cladding damage to the forward bow and pump stages.

PATRICK BRYAN, JAMES KERR, Theft > simple larceny, 15th May 1848.

Reference Number: t18480515-1350
Offence: Theft > simple larceny
Verdict: Guilty > no_subcategory; Guilty > no_subcategory
Punishment: Transportation. 10 years.

http://www.oldbaileyonline.org/browse.jsp?id=t18480515-name-918&div=t18480515-1350#highlight
These are his actual words in giving evidence in a 'simple larceny' trial at the Old Bailey.....

JOHN WHITE. I am a constable of the dock. I was at the export dock gate when Willson stopped Bryan—I stopped Kerr—he said, "You won't want me; you want the other men that have run away"—I said, "I have got you and I shall keep you"—I searched him, and found 4lbs, of copper in the waistband of his trowsers—he said it was given him by a man in a public-house—Bryan said, "It is no use telling a lie about it; we may as well tell the truth."

EDWARD HENRY COLLINGWOOD. I am in the employ of a shipwright I was employed in taking some copper off the ship 'Earl Grey', belonging to Mr. Duncan Dunbar—I threw the copper on the punt—I can swear to all this copper, except two pieces—it came off that ship—two of these pieces in particular I can swear to, and the other I have no doubt of—they were all in the punt, which was under the ship's bow, acting as a stage for me to work at the vessel—I know this piece by my own marking on it, and this one by its acting as a brace under the pump case.

JAMES GATLOR. I am ship-keeper of the Earl Grey, and live on board I took the copper from the punt into the store, where it was kept—it belonged to Duncan Dunbar—I went to the store on the day after this copper was found, and it was all gone.
Kerr. Q. How long was the copper in the store before you missed it? A. About nine or ten days.
THOMAS PINNER. I was working for Mr. Gladstone—I went to the store shed between ten and eleven o'clock—I found the padlock broken—I told the officer—I found the prisoners in custody the same day.

http://www.oldbaileyonline.org/browse.jsp?id=t18480515-name-918&div=t18480515-1350#highlight

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Sunday 02 February 14 23:56 GMT (UK) »
You've rambled on for 4 pages on this topic (just large amounts of cut & paste) without paying attention to either notices of the sites or Rootschat policy. For example, the last bits have this notice on the page-
© 2003-2013 Old Bailey Proceedings Online
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Tuesday 08 April 14 23:35 BST (UK) »
Anyone of the Collingwoods that are researching our family History can find some exciting leads from the Collingwoods of Northumberland. This link gives an Historic overview of Sir Daniel Collingwood of Brandon:

http://goo.gl/r5JC6M

THE HIGH SHERIFFS OF NORTHUMBERLAND from the 11th century
to the present day
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Sheriff_of_Northumberland

1544 Sir John Collingwood of Eslington Hall
1551 Sir Robert Collingwood of Eslington Hall
1568 Cuthbert Collingwood
1580 Cuthbert Collingwood
1647 Edward Collingwood of Dissington Hall
1697 Edward Collingwood of Dissington Hall
1725 Alexander Collingwood of Little Ryle
1761 Alexander Collingwood of Unthank Hall
1766 Henry Collingwood of Cornhill
1787 Edward Collingwood of Chirton Hall
1793 Henry Collingwood of Liburn Tower
http://www.british-towns.net/sh/statelyhomes_album.asp?GetPic=48

1824 Edward Collingwood of Dissington Hall
1832 Henry John William Collingwood of Liburn Tower
1844 Edward John Collingwood of Liburn Tower
1919 Edward Gordon Collingwood of Dissington Hall
1937 Edward Foyle Collingwood of Liburn Tower

Researchers tracing back our line of Collingwoods may find this helpful
Sir Daniel Collingwood of Brandon

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Friday 03 April 15 19:14 BST (UK) »
Edward Henry Collingwood - (1817 - 1878) was related to (distant nephew) Francis Edward Collingwood - (1785 - 1835) and his father Francis Collingwood and grandfather Edward that had connections to Greenwich and Chatham Dockyards. Our own family have researched the claims of John Pollard that he alone killed the French sniper on board the 'Redoubtable'. Coming forwards 40yrs after the event, writing to the 'Times' only suggests that Pollard was present but 'WHY' so many years after Collingwood died?
Arthur Devis's masterpiece depicting 'The Death of Nelson' (which is displayed in the Greenwich museum)was well researched and 'rough cartoons' of all the characters present were made at the time that Nelson was taken below decks to die. It was suggested at the time on board the Victory that witnesses saw one or two midshipmen crouching and firing at the French sniper. Collingwood who was 'rated' as a sharp-shot was also seen to be handed a loaded rifle and fire  a second or third shot. Witnesses said Collingwood then returned to his post when he saw the sniper first fall in to the mizen ropes that left him mortally wounded and dangling from the mast. Falling to the deck it was assumed Collingwood had fired the fatal shot?

http://welshjournals.llgc.org.uk/browse/viewpage/llgc-id:1165908/llgc-id:1166683/llgc-id:1166695/getText

Two Pembrokeshire midshipmen were in HMS Victory with Lord Nelson.

Of Robert Cutts Barton little is known except that he was born in the county in 1785 and joined HMS Victory off Toulon on 31 July 1803 from the frigate HMS Amphion in which he had gone out from Britain. Two weeks after Trafalgar he transferred to HMS Queen 98, flagship of Admiral Cuthbert Collingwood. He was promoted lieutenant in 1806 and served in the boats of the Apollo cutting out a convoy in Rosas Bay in 1809. Barton was made a commander in 1819 and died aged 42 at Bideford in 1827.102

The other Pembrokeshire midshipman in HMS Victory, Francis Edward Collingwood, born at Milford on 23 March 1785, is immortalised in Arthur Devis' famous painting of the death of Nelson. The Admiral's biographer, Carola Oman,103 records that some midshipmen, walking wounded, were being treated in the cockpit where Nelson lay dying. In the painting Collingwood is shown standing in the background with Lieutenant Yule, 'their British bulk and complexions contrasting with those of the Admiral's wizened, whiskered Neopolitan valet'.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:DeathofNelsonDevis.jpg

Collingwood was the son of 'Francis Collingwood of Greenwich Esq. by Sarah, sister of Captain Thomas Richbell RN, Chief Magistrate of the Thames Police'. His grandfather, Edward Collingwood, had been Master Attendant at Plymouth, Portsmouth, Chatham and Deptford Dockyards.

After serving in sloops and frigates, and in Foley's old Nile command, HMS Goliath, Collingwood joined HMS Victory at Spithead on 14 September 1805, the month before Trafalgar. Young Collingwood has long been reputed to have been the avenger of the death of Nelson by having shot the French sharpshooter in the rigging of the Redoutable. This distinction was, however, claimed by a fellow midshipman, John Pollard, then in retirement at the Royal Naval Hospital, Greenwich, in a letter to The Times on 13 May 1863 in which he said that Collingwood had been with him on the poop of the flagship but for a short time only:

It is true my old shipmate, Collingwood, who has now been dead some 28years, did come in the poop for a short time. I had discovered the men crowding in the tops of the Redoutable, and pointed them out to him, when he took up a musket and fired once; then he left the poop, I conclude, to return to his station on the quarter deck. I remained firing until there was not a man to be seen in the top last one  I saw coming down the mizzen rigging, and he fell from my fire also. King,  the quartermaster,  was killed while in the act of handing me a parcel of ballcartridge, long after Collingwood had left the poop. I remained there till some time after the action was concluded, assisting in rigging the jurymast; then I was ushered into the wardroom, where Sir Thomas Hardy and other officers were assembled, and complimented by them as the person who avenged
Lord Nelson's death.
Modern historians have tended to support Pollard but the issue remains unclear and the Milford officer may well have had a hand in avenging his Commander-in-Chief.106 After the Redoutable surrendered Collingwood led a party across from the Victory to tackle fires which threatened to destroy this major French prize, 'which service he performed in a manner highly satisfactory.' He was promoted lieutenant in January 1806. Collingwood subsequently saw much active service. He was 'constantly employed' in the Walcheren Expedition in 1809 and was twice wounded when in command of the revenue cutter Kite on the Irish coast in the 1820's. In 1822 he married Ellen, daughter of the Rev. Samuel Collis of Co.
Kerry. His sister was the wife of Dr J.D. Burke, Surgeon of Pembroke Dockyard. Collingwood was made a commander in 1828 and died aged 50 at Tralee in 1835.

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Friday 03 April 15 19:43 BST (UK) »
Edward Henry Collingwood it is believed died from a 'fever' NOW THOUGHT TO BE pneumonia contracted while fixing storm damaged timbers on the Dharwar. He was taken to Old Hong Kong where he died in in hospital -1878. Edward Henry did part time work as a fireman when on shore leave at the now disused firestation in Gillender Street, (formally 'Masters Lane' )Poplar E.14 WHICH runs parallel to the Blackwall Tunnel Approach (A12).

10 years later......1888, William Inkster was the 'hero' of the Dharwar (sister ship to the Cutty Sark) when 'he' also saved the ship from sinking in a terrible storm, making good a damaged steering mechanism..the most famous of all 19th century shipwrights. Incidentally he also worked as a part-time fireman.....

http://goo.gl/OfHRee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Edward Henry Collingwood
« Reply #41 on: Sunday 04 October 15 20:08 BST (UK) »
Highway robbery in Mile End read this account of George Collingwood's involvement. You can forward to all other cases involving the Collingwoods up to 1908, i bet some are related ?

Read full version:
Results - Central Criminal Court

Browse - Central Criminal Court

Offence: Violent Theft > highway robbery: Verdict: Guilty
Punishment: DEATH
Related Material: Ordinary's Account, 19th December 1733
+ This is not that Jack-the-Hatter who was convicted of several Felonies in September last.
The Prisoners pray'd the Witnesses might be examin'd a-part, which the Court granted.
Samuel Maxwell . On Thursday, November 22, about five in the Evening I went with my Master, Mr. Wilmot, to the Globe at Mile-End; I expected to meet a Man with whom I had some Business to do, but he not coming, I told my Master, I thought there would be no Occasion for me to stay. My Master telling me I might do as I would, I concluded to go, but having received some Money at Stepney, I thought it would not be safe for me to venture over the Fields with it alone, and so I left 26 l. with him, and came away about six a Clock; but recollecting that I still had 7 l. 10 s. in Moidores and Silver, I put it into my Side-pocket for the better Security. Coming into White-horse-lane I was met by three Men, one of them, which I think was Baxter, pass'd me, and bid me good Night, but presently turn'd back again, when one of the others, in a red Coat, with a thick short Stick in his left Hand and a Pistol in his right, bid me deliver, and swore he had seen me put Money in my left Side-pocket; I gave him the Silver, but not the Moidores; then he demanded my Watch, I told him it was a Family-Watch, and I hop'd he would not take it from me. Why then, says he, you may keep it; go forward, and say you are well us'd. So we parted, and I return'd another Way to my Master at the Globe, and told him and Mr. Collingwood, who was with him, what had happen'd. I staid with them there about three or four Hours, and then we all three came away together. We took Links with us, and coming to the same Place where I had been robb'd, we saw two Men running towards us; For God's sake, says one of them, have a Care, Gentlemen, we are frighted out of our Wits; we met a wild Bull, and thought the Devil was coming for us. As they look'd like loose Fellows, Mr. Collingwood ask'd them if there had not been a Robbery there that Night? They said, they had not heard of any. I thought I knew them again, and taking hold of one of them, whose Name is Macdonald, I told him he was the Man that robb'd me. The other was Baxter, and him my Master and Mr. Collingwood took Care of. We carry'd them to the Sun Tavern at Stepney, where we search'd them, and found a large Fowl upon one, and two Chickens upon t'other. We provided them with separate Lodgings for that Night, - the Watch-house and the Round-house. I saw Macdonald next Morning, and then he confess'd that he was the Man who took my Money, and said, as he us'd me well in giving me my Watch again, he hop'd I would let him be an Evidence.
Thomas Wilmot . My Clerk left me and Mr. Collingwood at the Globe between five and six, in order to go home, but in a little Time he return'd again, and told us he had been robb'd; he stay'd with us till about ten, and then we went away together. In the Field we met Baxter and Macdonald running as if they were frighted out of their Wits. They said they had met a mad Bull; we charg'd them with the Robbery, and carry'd them to the Sun at Stepney - Baxter confess'd.
George Collingwood . Going over the Fields with Mr. Wilmot and his Clerk, two Fellows came running along, and crying out, Lord have Mercy upon us! - O Lord! - a mad Bull! - the Devil! - has frighted us out of our Wits. I thought they look'd like a Couple of Rogues, and the Prosecutor said, he believ'd they were the Men that robb'd him, and so we made bold to secure them both.
John Macdonald . I and the two Prisoners went out together upon the Account. We call'd at the Globe, at Mile-End, where we saw the Prosecutor taking some Money out of his Pockets, and so we went out, and watch'd him, and as he came over the Bank,

Baxter. You know what a vile Fellow you have been. You was an Evidence against Stockings, and Wi I have Witnesses to prove I was in another Place when this Robbery was committed.

Elizabeth Johnson . I lodge at Edward Rook's, and I know that the Prisoner, John Rook, was at home all Day on Thursday, the 22nd of November.
The Jury found them Guilty . Death .

Spencer Collingwood (my son)
May 26

to me
George was the brother of a John Collingwood. I'll dig out what I've got in morning. I have Johns will which mentions George and William as sons/brothers. Will check

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Sunday 04 October 15 20:47 BST (UK) »
Edward Henry Collingwood was born at Tuckers Court Alley an austere set of houses frequented by 'Irish Cockneys'.The first Poplar Workhouse was built on this very site as an experiment to feed the poor. Most were women and widows with children that had lost their husbands either through inhuman occupation or as war widows from Trafalgar and Waterloo. Most, however were innocent victims of imprisonment as their husbands turned to crime. I have not found any such miscreants among our long history of the Collingwoods, strange but true. Hard working and industrious i am proud to be one.

Tuckers Court Alley was at the most southern end of Dingle Lane and Dolphin Lane. Adjacent to Tuckers court in proximity to the Poplar Workhouse was an open sewer running straight into the W.India dock. This 'open' sewer was a link to the 18th century and endured the name "Rolling Turd Alley"
From here it was just a short 10mins WALK to West India Docks and the famous ship building DUNBAR WHARF in Fore Street (now Narrow St, Limehouse and the infamous Ropemakers Fields) where Edward Henry and his dad (John the ropemaker) WORKED as a shipwright, probably until Duncan Dunbar died in 1862. It seems from here Edward moved to Cawdor Street closer to the East India Docks where he could embark on his many ship voyages.

http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=46471

Dingle Lane and Dingle Lane School (demolished).

Dingle Lane, to the east of No. 30, was one of the ways from the High Street to the Isle of Dogs until the southern part was removed by the construction of the West India Docks. There was some building along it by the early eighteenth century, (ref. 357) and in the early nineteenth century Tucker's Court (begun by Thomas Hale) and Dingle Court were built on its south side. (ref. 358) They consisted of a double row of 14 back-to-back two-storey cottages, each with two rooms and a kitchen or scullery.

http://www.merchantnetworks.com.au/periods/1800after/1800dunbar.htm

Edward and John were very well paid in the employ of Duncan Dunbar.....nb  shipwrights the ships tariff of 64 shares divided among crew...remnants of days of  (piracy?). A ships carpenter below 1st mate was the second best paid job on ships compliment.
The great ship builders of the 17th and 18th centuries came from Durham and Scotland. The Collingwoods of Durham were mostly sea farers, 'MASTER MARINERS' AND ship builders and came to London after the English Civil WAR...A line of Collingwoods held office as The High Sheriffs of Northumberland, more research is needed to find our connections here.
BUT one thing stands out...the early Collingwoods of the 15th to the 18th centuries, the Williams, the Johns and Edwards all seem to be wealthier than their later shipworking descendants.
They came to London and spread throughout the World and some made money from legal or illegal piracy/privateering. There is scant evidence that this 'bounty' the pirates share has been used to finance the apprenticeships of their descendants and many traditions of the Golden Age of the Pirates have been carried down through three centuries into the shipping industry ! The pirates 'code' of sharing the bounty and helping those on board that become retired through ill health or injury lends this tradition as a forerunner to today's unions! How else did they make the money in those days for highly skilled training of shipwrights and in some cases the financing of 'Victuallers Stores' and Inns around the Wapping and Ratcliffe areas of Stepney? How did they form the 'closed' shop of the father to son in the Dock Trade and the Guilds of Shipwrights, Sawyers, Cordwainers and Ropemakers?
Admiral Nelson utilized Swedish ropemaking techniques to be used in the roperies of Limehouse and a contingency of Swedish volunteers enlisted on Nelson's ships at Trafalgar to maintain the correct application of roping....there is something quite intriguing  about our historical past in the ship and dock trades, my research may take me further...

Daniel Collingwood, Edward Henry's direct Great-Great-Grandson

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Sunday 04 October 15 21:27 BST (UK) »
Did Edward Henry Collingwood plan to live in Australia? Some evidence is becoming available that his son Edward Robert, b. 1842 may have indeed emigrated to Melbourne after 1861. I am currently trying to find out the truth of E.R.
He was  carpenter's mate to his dad E.H. on the ship Camperdown, 1859 travelling to Sydney. Maybe this was a 'feeler' to see if Australia was worth moving to. Old man Edward may have spent time there but he always came home to his family roots. If young Robert, did in fact move to Australia could Old Henry have been on a 'working' visit to his son via Hong Kong,1878 on the Dharwar, where he died in a hospital there from fever (pneumonia)?
Some posters on roots-chat have found evidence for an Edward Collingwood that died in 1896, father also called EDWARD. And some refs to an Edward Collingwood travelling between Melbourne and Sydney in April 1874 as a steerage passenger on the Dandenong steamer....needs some more research?
http://mariners.records.nsw.gov.au/1874/04/063dan.htm
As it appears that Old Henry's son Edward Robert went missing, i'd like to put it out to researchers who may already know what happened to my great-grand uncle? He was born 101 years before i was born, which i find fascinating.
http://mariners.records.nsw.gov.au/results.htm?cx=004861337844262330206%3Ayq_2tgjydtg&cof=FORID%3A11&q=dandenong-april+1874&sa=Search&siteurl=mariners.records.nsw.gov.au%2Fsearch.htm&ref=www.GenesReunited.co.uk%2Fboards%2Fboard%2Ftrying_to_find%2Fthread%2F1096458&ss=18411j31711437j20
Report to moderator     149.254.250.234

http://www.oldbaileyonline.org/browse.jsp?id=t18480515-1350&div=t18480515-1350&terms=EDWARD|HENRY|COLLINGWOOD#highlight

EDWARD HENRY COLLINGWOOD. I am in the employ of a shipwright I was employed in taking some copper off the ship Earl Grey, belonging to Mr. Duncan Dunbar—I threw the copper on the punt—I can swear to all this copper, except two pieces—it came off that ship—two of these pieces in particular I can swear to, and the other I have no doubt of—they were all in the punt, which was under the ship's acting as a stage for me to work at the vessel—I know this piece by my own marking on it, and this one by its acting as a brace under the pump case.

http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=46508

Edward Henry's father was John Collingwood, 1776 - 1821.

..he was only 45yrs and i believe  he died from a lung related illness from his trade as a ropemaker?
John Tucker's whitelead paint yard was almost within the ropeyards .Ropes were
tarred for protection against seawater and the mills were within the
same 'yards.' Most industry workers died of lung diseases especially
those involving tarring and whitelead paintmaking. I'm only guessing
but at around 1810 the rope industry was tough and i think John took
work close to his home  in Tuckers Court Alley where his son Edward
Henry also grew up and worked as a shipwright. Edward  moved closer to
the East India Docks so that he could embark to sea from there working
on ships and to escape the perils his dad endured with dangerous
chemicals. Edward was 4yrs old when his dad John died in 1821. He moved to No.6 Cawdor St, WHICH is covered by the entrance of the Blackwall Tunnel Approach, A12 (part of the old
Brunswick Rd, that runs to my dad's last home in St Leonards St. E3
As far as i can deduce Edward moved from Cawdor St, to Ellerthorpe St, which was cleared in 1951 for the new Lansbury Market project. Ellerthorpe St continued on from Ricardo St,THROUGH TO THE CURRENT market entrance.
His children, ie my Great-grandfather, Alfred Daniel,b 1846 were i believed born at Tuckers Court Alley.This place was close to the Poplar Workhouse and was also home for some rough 'Irish Cockneys'.
My grand father Alfred Daniel, b 1879 was never seen by his grandfather Edward Henry who died in Hong Kong the year before he was born, 1878. I am trying to establish the Collingwood connections with historical events eg the English Civil War, The High Sheriffs of Northumberland, Trafalgar, the pubs around Wapping, and the possibility that some may have sailed on pirate ships including Captain William Kydd.

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Edward Henry Collingssewood b.1817 - d.1878 Old Hong Kong
« Reply #44 on: Monday 05 October 15 23:16 BST (UK) »
 Northumberland and the seafaring shipbuilders of Durham, North Shields and Newcastle were an early source of mass migration to London, the Provinces and to foreign lands after the ENGLISH CIVIL WAR. Depending on their religion and which side they were on (Cromwellian or Royalists) may have determined their fate for those that supported Cromwell. Businesses and land owners enjoyed limited freedom if they were 'on Cromwell's side' but were eventually stripped of their lands and businesses when James II was eventually restored to the throne after Cromwell had his father James I beheaded.

Many feared that the throne would eventually be restored and had taken early refuge elsewhere and sold lands and businesses if they were against the Royalists. Thousands were eventually put on trial and stripped of their assets, imprisoned or executed.
Among those from the North East Counties were the Collingwoods of Northumberland and Durham and over the next 60years  since Cromwell died 1649 - 1710 hundreds of impoverished ship owners and business land barons had migrated towards London and the Thames Dockyards. Some preferred to 'get lost' abroad signing up on the shipping trade routes hoping to make their fortune and resettle abroad. Some came back to London with enough money to buy Inns and Victuallers Wine stores and setting up small franchises with local businessmen. John Law was one such person that bought smuggled or stolen boun'ty and set up a business "selling back the goods" for a tidy 10% profit to the original owners...and it was legal !
Many ex-mariners that had also sailed on privateer exhibitions touted the docksides recruiting able men to join 'gangs' for the 'next merchant sketship' to set sail. The old London Dock at Wapping was a favourite haunt of 'pirate cum privateer' ships where wannabe crews were recruited and 'sold their tickets'. These 'tickets' eventually were handed down to brothers or sons. The ticket tout was  born. So was the dockers 'gang' born from the early days of the pirates as the 'ganger' always picked his own crew from those that had 'tickets'. Dock side employment became a closed shop.
Apprenticeships were very costly, yet many a-mariner was able to pay for their sons to learn exclusive trades? My early ancestors were all apprenticed:- from 1690 - John the Master Mariner, 1710 - Edward the Upholsterer(ships outfitter), 1757 - John the Sailmaker/shipwright, 1790 - John the Ropemaker and 1831- Edward Henry Master Shipwright. They made good money but around end of the 17th century money from the shipping trade was often made by crews joining a pirate ship sailing uneder the banner of a privateer...a ticket from the Realm that seemed to make it all legal.....AND the bounties nearly always ended up at John Laws warehouse, that eventually became The Corn Exchange !
Those sailing on privateers often did so using an alias, in case the  entered into illegality. The two seamen listed on Kidd's ship the Adventurer Colliness and Collings could really be synonyms for Collingwood.....However, you'll see by the similar names listed many were of the same families. They made their fortunes on one trip and thence were able to finance their childrens' education.
The Golden Age of the Pirates lasted only 35yrs...whilst 'privateering' was prevalent for over 300yrs.
~~~~~~~~----------------------------------
 Nb imo... John Collings, Edward Colliness and Phillip Conninghame are bogus and are derivatives of 'COLLINGWOOD'..probably of the same family.
~~~~~~~~-----------------------------------
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/handcousins/message/6821

SOURCE:
Sponsor: Institute of Historical Research
Publication: Calendar of State Papers Colonial, America and West Indies

URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=71340.

There are also biographical details of some of the crew at Appendix II of:
Treasure and Intrigue: The Legacy of Captain Kidd

Copy of articles of agreement between Capt. William Kidd, Commander of
the good ship Adventure, and John Walker, Quartermaster. Sept. 10,
1696.... Signed, William Kidd. Subscribed and agreed to by the ship's
company;