Poll

SHOW READ TOTAL

HOW MANY VOTES
0 (0%)
HOW MANY HAVE READ MY POSTS
2 (100%)

Total Members Voted: 2

Author Topic: Edward Henry Collingwood b.1817 - d.1878 Old Hong Kong  (Read 53750 times)

Offline Daniel Collingwood

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Edward Henry Collingwood b.1817 - d.1878 Old Hong Kong
« Reply #45 on: Thursday 08 October 15 00:44 BST (UK) »
(Photos courtesy Chris Nelson .....thanks Chris)

http://goo.gl/eI3gTr

Edward (Henry) Collingwood
Birth:    1817
Death:    Oct. 24, 1878, Hong Kong

Carpenter British Ship 'Dharwar'.
Born at Blackwall.

Burial:
Hong Kong Cemetery
Happy Valley
Hong Kong Island, Hong Kong

http://www.bruzelius.info/Nautica/Ships/Merchant/Sail/D/Dharwar(1864).html

SISTER SHIP
http://mariners.records.nsw.gov.au/1875/02/005cut.htm

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Sunday 11 October 15 21:21 BST (UK) »
Edward Henry Collingwood - my grandad's grandad

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=pis&MRid=46907585&PImrid=46907585&PIpi=81967311ets

Just before my grand father died in 1949 (Alfred Daniel Collingwood 1879 - 1949) i visited him at my gran's from infant school which was only yards away in Alton Street, Poplar. Rushing in for my 'daily' sweets ...grandad was sitting upright in his chair, motionless with a deathly, gaunt, sullen stare. He was dying in front of me. I was six years old. Gran ushered me out and told me grandad was ill. As i ran back out of the house a doctor arrived. That was the day he died. Grandad was Edward Henry's grandson and that deathly look has remained with me all my life.

When i saw the onlytue photo of Edward Henry, I was haunted all over again. His image was almost identical with his gaunt look and popular Victorian moustache...dead ringers in more ways than one.t

My gran (Alice Collingwood 1880 - 1951) ran a small sweet shop cum newsagents during the 1930's. Reputedly she gave more sweets away than she sold. Her small shop was at No. 1 Crisp St, Poplar almost opposite the statue of Richard 'Dickie' Green (outside the East India Dock Road swimming baths)with his faithful dog Hector at his feet. His statue was to commemorate his charitable work for the poor and his enormous work in the building of some of the best sailing frigates at Blackwall and the newly constructed East India Docks. His family and his father George Green built the Seamans' Rest Home and the famous George Green Grammar School in the East India Dock Road.
'Dickie' as he was affectionately known often carried a pocket full of sixpencies which, with Hector tagging along,gave them to the poor on his many walks around the streets of Poplar. Another huge pocket contained sweets for the poor kids that followed him around....the ragamuffins of the East End. Dickie died in 1863 the year following the demise of Duncan Dunbar. Edward Henry had now moved to the Blackwall East India Docks to work and sail on some of the famous frigates of Green & Co and the infamous Money Wigram.
70 years on, Gran must have had some knowledge of Dickie Green and his work involving the poor kids of Blackwall and Poplar...after all she gave most of her sweets away and long after she stopped trading, she always had jars of sweets in her house to give to the kids?

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Monday 12 October 15 21:39 BST (UK) »
January-1863
President Lincoln issues the Emancipation Proclamation, which states, "All slaves in areas still in rebellion are freed." The proclamation also enables the recruitment of federal regiments of African-American volunteer soldiers. The best-known battle of the Civil War is fought at Gettysburg, Pennsylvania, July 1-3. General Robert E. Lee sustains 20,400 casualties and retreats to Virginia. The Union army fails to capitalize on the victory and the Confederates escape. On July 4, Vicksburg, Mississippi surrenders to General U.S. Grant, thus opening the Mississippi River to U.S. forces.

Lincoln statue
http://goo.gl/LMyJhe

and talking of dead ringers? (similar i think?)

January 1863
Richard Green died.
http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/863562

Edward Henry Collingwood was now well established as a master shipwright working for Green and Wigram at Blackwall having moved from the West India Docks to the new East India yards.
He sailed many clippers and frigates depicted here:

http://www.19thcenturyshipportraitsinprints.com/lptgd-bf.html

http://www.brind.co.uk/Brind/brinddoc/world/newzeal/whaler/blackwall.html

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Wednesday 14 October 15 00:44 BST (UK) »
25 Apr 1698   Married    John COLLINGWOOD husb of Mary BARKER(widow)   Stepney, St. Dunstan MDX  mariner of Wapping 

http://www.oldbaileyonline.org/browse.jsp?id=t17480526-18-person216&div=t17480526-18#highlight

Margaret Collingwood (nee Todd)- husband a master mariner(Guinea coast), resided at Queen Anne Court,  leading off Farthing Fields. Highly probable that this is the mother of (Edward?)the Sawyer, b 1737 ? and apprenticed (about 1750 aged 13yrs -1757)?

04 Jan 1737   Christened    John COLLINGWOOD son of John & Margaret.   Stepney, St. Dunstan         1736/37 age 28 days, father an upholsterer of Ratcliffe
Upholsterers were usually master tradesmen skilled in all aspects of of ship's fittings and were often skilled as shipwrights, sailmakers, etc. These skills were often required before a mariner could manage a ship as 'Master' or Master Mariner.

16 Dec 1757    Edward John COLLINGWOOD   Woolwich Yard KEN    TNA   Foreman's apprentice to John Puckley of Woolwich yard; duty 9s paid @ 6d on £18/-/- on 24 Dec 1757 

Oct 1764   Married    Edward COLLINGWOOD husb of Elizabeth POINTER   Limehouse, St. Anne MDX   

Edward John's children......

15 Jan 1773   Christened    John COLLINGWOOD son of Edward & Elizth.   Stepney, St. Dunstan MDX        age 2 days, father a sawyer of Poplar >>>>died in infancy.......

.....01 Aug 1773   Buried    John COLLINGWOOD   Stepney, St. Dunstan MDX   of Poplar, buried at Ratcliffe? infant aged 9months?

17 Jul 1774   C    Elizabeth Mary COLLINGWOOD dau of Edward & Elizabeth   Stepney, St. Dunstan MDX      age 28 days, father a sawyer of Poplar

18 Aug 1776   C    John Edward COLLINGWOOD son of John Edward & Elizth.   Stepney, St. Dunstan MDX    PR    age 13 days, father a sawyer of Poplar
                          (John Edward the Ropemaker 1776 - 1821 age 45yrs)

John the ropemaker's children....

01 Jul 1804   C    John COLLINGWOOD son of John & Elizabeth   Stepney, St Dunstan MDX                                                                             father a ropemaker of Poplar

01 Oct 1806   C    Mary COLLINGWOOD dau of John & Elizabeth   Stepney, Saint Dunstan MDX     

05 Mar 1809   C    George Edward COLLINGWOOD son of John & Elizabeth   Stepney, St. Dunstan MDX                     born 3 Jan 1809, father a ropemaker of Poplar

12 Feb 1815   C    James William COLLINGWOOD son of John Edward & Elizabeth   Limehouse, St. Anne MDX            born 18 Jan 1815, father a ropemaker of Limehouse

05 Aug 1817   C    EDWARD HENRY COLLINGWOOD son of John Edward & Elizabeth   Limehouse, St. Anne MDX        born 5 Jul 1817, father a ropemaker of Limehouse 

Edward Henry Collingwood; born 5 July 1817, christened at St. Anne, Limehouse, MDX.

He married 3 March 1840 at Poplar, MDX Ann Merritt.
  Children:   1842:   Edward Robert Collingwood
1843:   Frederick Henry Collingwood ...1846 -  Alfred Daniel Collingwood
1849:   Sarah Ann Collingwood  .......1853 -  James Thomas Collingwood

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Saturday 17 October 15 00:32 BST (UK) »
THE BLACKWALL FRIGATES
BY
BASIL LUBBOCK

Author of "The China Clippers": "The Colonial Clippers,
'•Round the Horn before the Mast"; "Jack Derringer,
a Tale of Deep Water" ; and "Deep Sea Warriors

First printed in 1922 ...93 years ago!
I suppose it is only fitting that an author of those times could conceivably find the time and effort to research such a huge amount of material which mostly would be lost to history by modern times. A tenement block of flats(apartments) is named in his honour, ie. Lubbock House in Poplar High Street.

Fantastic and colourful account of the ships and their journeys built at BLACKWALL. Some of these accounts are 'spine chilling'...like the captain that in order to quell a mutiny from a crew of Lascars had them battened down in the 'cargo holds'...then set them alight, thus setting fire to the ship, curious?

click the No. at bottom of each page to read more.

http://www.ebooksread.com/authors-eng/basil-lubbock/the-blackwall-frigates-bbu/page-8-the-blackwall-frigates-bbu.shtml

http://www.ebooksread.com/authors-eng/basil-lubbock/the-blackwall-frigates-bbu/1-the-blackwall-frigates-bbu.shtml

I post this only from the interesting fact that Edward Henry had first hand experience of some of these ships fom Blackwall. On one trip in 1859 he sailed with his eldest son Robert Edward to Australia aboard the 'Camperdown' as carpenter and carpenter's mate. He was aboard the Dharwar when she broke the fastest speed record from Sydney to London in 95days. Her sister ship 'Cutty Sark' retained the record later on and remains on record as the 'fastest tea-clipper'

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Saturday 17 October 15 20:50 BST (UK) »
CORRECTION to my post re- Monday 05 October 15 23:16 BST (UK) »
 Northumberland and the seafaring shipbuilders of Durham, North Shields and Newcastle were an early source of mass migration to London, the Provinces and to foreign lands after the ENGLISH CIVIL WAR. Depending on their religion and which side they were on (Cromwellian or Royalists) may have determined their fate for those that supported Cromwell. Businesses and land owners enjoyed limited freedom if they were 'on Cromwell's side' but were eventually stripped of their lands and businesses when *James II was eventually restorVed to the throne after Cromwell had his father *James I beheaded.he
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Of course this silly oversight should have read>>>>
....when *CHARLES II was eventually restored to the throne after Cromwell had his father *CHARLES I beheaded.
I apologize for this mistake, Charles I was the son of James I (James VI of Scotland)

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Sunday 18 October 15 00:41 BST (UK) »
http://goo.gl/x013vs

Robert Southey in his Life of Nelson (pub 1813) credited both John Pollard and Midshipman Francis Edward Collingwood as being the 'avenger of Nelson'. However in a letter to The Times 13 May 1863, John Pollard wrote

'It is true my old shipmate Collingwood who has now been dead some years came up on the poop for a short time. I had discovered the men crouching in the top of the Redoutable and pointed them out to him, when he took up his musket and fired once; he then left the poop, I conclude, to return to his station on the quarter deck… I remained firing till there was not a man to be seen in the top; the last one I saw coming down the mizzen rigging and he fell from my fire also… I was ushered into the ward room where Sir Thomas Hardy and other officers were assembled and complimented by them as the person who avenged Lord Nelson's death.'

http://welshjournals.llgc.org.uk/browse/viewpage/llgc-id:1165908/llgc-id:1166683/llgc-id:1166695/getText

Francis Edward Collingwood had distant connections to John Collingwood-the Ropemaker 1776-1821 and was a distant cousin. The line of ascendancy seems to be lost.

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Sunday 25 October 15 18:51 GMT (UK) »
Battle of Trafalgar and the Collingwood connection

Many researchers of the 'Collingwood line' have failed to make a connection to the famous admiral. Because he had only two daughters there are no male heirs and 'his line' and the Baronetcy ceased on his death in 1810. So, we look elsewhere to find the closest 'lines' that link up the 'Collingwoods'

Gordon Collingwood (who is a distant cousin of mine traces his ancestry back through  James William Collingwood, b. 1815 son of John the ropemaker) says in his  "Collingwood-Guide To One Name Studies" (Google) that most lineages of the Collingwoods' have but possibly only two origins.
Conceivably, therefore we all share a common source so somewhere in the mix our ancestors do stem off from each branch no matter how far we go back...even before the Calinwodes a thousand years ago.
 Francis Edward Collingwood joined the Victory at Spithead only weeks before Trafalgar. I often wonder if his assignment was noted by the famous Admiral...of course it must have been? Why did he join Nelson's ship and not Collingwood's ship of the line 'The Royal Sovereign? Hailing from Pembrokeshire, Francis' own father and grandfather had connections in the Woolwich and Deptford docks and i believe he was connected to the admiral in some way. Maybe he was a nephew or a 'relative' had connections to influence the admiral to assign this brilliant young midshipman? After all, Francis Edward shone at Trafalgar appeasing Nelson's death by a French sniper. He rose through the ranks and became a commander himself. Francis remains an enigma but I suspect Lord Collingwood had some influences over his gradual promotions...he liked him !

After commanding a small frigate, HMS Pelican, in which he was shipwrecked by a hurricane in 1781, Collingwood was promoted to 64 gun ship of the line HMS Sampson, and in 1783 he was appointed to HMS Mediator and posted to the West Indies, where he remained until the end of 1786, again, together with Nelson and this time his brother, Captain WILFRED COLLINGWOOD  preventing American ships from trading with the West Indies.

LETTERS FROM NELSON TO HIS DEAR FRIEND LORD COLLINGWOOD on the death of his brother Captain Wilfred Collingwood at St. Vincent - 1787

https://goo.gl/7s4IHx

In 1786 Collingwood returned to England, where, with the exception of a voyage to the West Indies, he remained until 1793. In that year, he was appointed captain of HMS Prince, the flagship of Rear Admiral George Bowyer in the Channel Fleet. On 16 June 1791, Collingwood married Sarah Blackett, daughter of the Newcastle merchant and politician John Erasmus Blackett and granddaughter of Robert Roddam (1711–1744) of Hethpoole and Caldburne (not to be confused with his former commander, later Admiral, Robert Roddam).

"The history books tend to give all the glory to Nelson. In fact, they were equal partners." Historian Andrew Griffin.

The Battle of Trafalgar has become inextricably linked with the name of Lord Nelson, but Admiral Cuthbert Collingwood's involvement was huge.

The battle remains one of the most famous and crucial in British naval history, and celebrated its 210th anniversary this year-2015.

On October 21, 1805 the combined forces of France and Spain were annihilated by the English fleet following a bloody battle.
There were many heroes that day, not least Nelson, who was mortally injured in the fighting.
As Nelson lay dying, Collingwood took control amongst the thunderous battle that raged all around him.
In routing the French and Spanish enemy forces from his ship, the Royal Sovereign, Collingwood defeated the foreign forces.

Had the Royal Navy lost the battle, Napoleon with his 115,000 troops based at Boulogne, would have swept across the channel and invaded England.

With Collingwood's help the British Navy did not lose a single ship at Trafalgar, and the country was saved from invasion.

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Wednesday 28 October 15 00:22 GMT (UK) »
A bit of research may get us closer to Lord Admiral Collingwood. This tableau is a magnificent aid to those researching the 'Collingwood' lines. Jane Collingwood was 2nd cousin to His Lordship....

http://www3.sympatico.ca/dljordan/parker-edwards.htm

William married Jane Collingwood on December 28, 1766. Jane Collingwood was born about 1740 and died about 1815. Her father was Captain Edward Collingwood, who was born about 1694 and died July 13, 1779 in Greenwich, England. Edward was the son of Edward Collingwood (born about 1660 and died in 1721) and Mary Bigge (born about 1663). Captain Collingwood married twice. His first marriage was to Mary Rodham and his second to Jane Carlton. Jane Carlton was born about 1712 in Greenwich and died February 19, 1791 at the Royal Naval Hospital in Greenwich, England. Jane Collingwood was the daughter of Edward Collingwood by his second wife, Jane Carlton.

Admiral Sir William Parker was the eldest. His sister Sarah, was christened March 11, 1744 at Queenborough, Kent. She died unmarried December 4, 1791. A brother Augustine was christened Feb 9,1746 at Queenborough. A sister, Elizabeth Parker, was born October 11, 1748 at Queenborough, Kent, England. She married William Head on July 19, 1785 in Queenborough. A child named Elizabeth Head was born February 9, 1787 also at Queenborough, Kent, England. Another sister Susannah was born and died 1750. A younger brother, Capt. Robert Parker of HMS Intrepid was born April 8, 1753 and died Nov 23, 1797. He married and had 8 children

William and Jane Collingwood Parker had seven daughters and one son. The daughters were named Jane, Sarah, Susanna, Harriet, Ann, Mary and Elizabeth. Harriet is the only daughter who never married. The only son, William George, was born in 1787. He married August 29, 1808, Elizabeth Still, (born 1791)the daughter of James Charles Still of East Knoyle in County Wiltshire and Charlotte Wake. He left a large family and died a vice admiral March 24, 1848.( This information from the book "A Naval Biographical Dictionary" by W.R. O'Byrne published in 1849.) One of the daughters of William George Parker and Elizabeth Still was Fanny Catharine who married Charles Bligh in 1837 and died in 1894. One daughter was named Clara and another daughter, Elizabeth Charlotte was born in 1816 in England. Two of the sons married in Toronto. Melville Parker married Jesse Hector in 1847 and Albert Parker married Lucy Henrietta Jennings in 1851.
-----------------------------------------------------------
I have