Author Topic: William Coutts: Dundee, 1800s  (Read 55294 times)

Offline Fide et Fortitudine

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Coutts: Dundee, 1800s
« Reply #162 on: Thursday 23 January 14 14:44 GMT (UK) »
More Buick/Millar connections:

My GG aunt, Agnes Wanlass Coutts, dau. of William Coutts & Sarah Douglas/McLarty, married William Livingstone in 1865, Arbroath (SP Statutory Marriages 272/00 0169)

According to the marriage cert, William Livingstone was the son of George Livingstone & Jane Whitton, aka Jane Buick Whitton, dau. of Robert Whitton & Joanna Peacock. 
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XBHR-8PP

William Livingston & Agnes Wanlass Coutts had 5 children: George, b.1866, William, b.1869, James, b.1871, Sarah Jane, b.1874, and Agnes, b. 1878.  The youngest, Agnes, married James Millar in 1900.  Agnes Millar died in 1965, aged 87. 
(The latter info comes from one of their living descendants, whom I was in contact with.)

And more on the Wanlass connection:
Angus Birth 11 Sep 1859: Ann Wanless MILLAR Father: JOHN MILLAR Mother: ANN DUNCAN dtr of Father: Robert Duncan Mother: Ann Wanles
From: http://www.wanlessweb.org/Scotland/MiddleName_Wanless.html

But I haven't joined up all the dots yet...

Judy, I can save you a lot of time & money on SP if you need any GROS ref. nos. for the Coutts line of the family tree.  I have seven pages of research on SP, which cost a small fortune - in excess of 1,000 quid over 2 years.  Just PM me.  There are also several other living 'cousins' connected to this tree already on RootsChat. 

Fide et Fortitudine - By fidelity and fortitude
"I force nae freen" - I force no friend and fear no foe

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: Friday 24 January 14 13:06 GMT (UK) »
An added note on Alexander Couts (first known grandpappy), husband of Isabel Leith:

A possible baptismal date for him is September 16, 1762 in Birse.  Son of John Coutts of Auchabrack Forest. Mother's name not given. Witnesses:  John Cabanach and Shaw Cabanach [or Catanach?] 
GROS ref. OPR Births 175/00 0010 0007 BIRSE

That's going on Alexander's death cert (which I have): 21/1/1832, which puts his age at the time of death at 72, i.e. born around 1760. 
O.P.R. Deaths 272/00 0080 0091 ARBROATH

There are no other Alexander Couttses born in Birse around 1760. Birse parish baptismal records began 1761 with a Thomas Couts baptising a son named Andrew.   

BirseFolk (http://birsefolk.id.au/baptisms%201761-1799.html) puts Alexander's birth at 1769, but that's not what the original birth cert. on SP says. 

I may have already posted this info somewhere on this thread, but just a reminder that it would be interesting to find the parents or relatives of our 1760s Alexander Couts of Birse.  He definitely had a brother because there is an uncle Coutts as a witness to the baptism of son William (my William) in Dundee.

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: Saturday 25 January 14 15:39 GMT (UK) »
I've found a lot more on the David Wanless/Isabella Coutts household.  Cross-referencing here:
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=644453.msg5201519#msg5201519

Offline Jillian Skinner

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: Sunday 10 January 16 02:21 GMT (UK) »
I'm one of the Australian relatives of Alexander and Helen Coutts.  They were my great grandparents.  I took a photo of the headstone Menmuir Church about 39 years ago which reads:  'In loving memory or Alexander Coutts F.E.I.S. Born 4th February 1833 Died 12th Septmber 1902 Headmaster of parochial school of Menmuir.  Also of his sons Alexander born February 1855 (date not quite clear) died ? July ? (i suspect as an infant - can't read the inscription) then xxxx xxx 'the old' xxx xxxx. Charles Nelson born 18th February 1871, died 11th April 1905. Buried Kew Cemetary, Melburne, (Australia), daughter Anne Murray wife of Andrew Ogilvie Died 18th August 1921 aged 41.  Also of his wife Helen Thompson Dickie, died at Edinburgh 28th May 1925 aged 84 years.  Their son James Dickie died at Melbourne 15th April 1935 aged 64 years.  Daughter Jean xxx Macdonald died 1945 in her 65th year."

I did not know my grandparents as they died before I was born. Charles Nelson died aged 34 after being sent to Australia as it was believed it would be better for his health - I believe he had TB (consumption as it was then known).

My father Robert Alexander Coutts was an only child, born in Malvern, a suburb of Melbourne and died in 1987 aged 65.  He was married to Lois Alison (nee Watt) who died aged 84 in 1998.

I am the oldest of their four children details as follows:

1.Jilian Gell (me) born August 5 1944 married to Christopher John Skinner.  We have three children, Amy (married with two daughters) Simon, |Married with son and saughter) and Rob.
2. Katherine Anne born December 18 1945 married to Keith Nance (second husband)  Daughter Katrina by first husband Geoff Mathers has one daughter.
3. James Garltley born April 1950 married twice has a son and daughter.
4 Alison Mary born March 2 1954 married twice has a daughter.

hope this is of interest.

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: Monday 11 January 16 12:07 GMT (UK) »
Hello Jillian Skinner!

Thank you very much for making contact.  I believe we are distant cousins, although I haven't worked out the exact relationship just yet.  Lovely to hear from you and thanks for providing the family info. 

This site has been extremely helpful to me in tracing my family tree, which was a mammoth task taking several years and a lot of money.  Good to make contact with living descendants too. 

Happy New Year 2016!

Best wishes,
Fide

Offline Jim Huebner

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: Monday 08 October 18 03:42 BST (UK) »
Isabella Lyall was the daughter of David Coutts born 1821, who was the son of Alexander Coutts, born 1800, who in turn was the son of Alexander Coutts and Isabel Leith.
I believe a Charlotte Coutts b. 1836 (my GG GM) was Davids sister. I believe she married Charles H Manser and ended up in Ontario, Canada. If you can confirm? I have not seen the names of the siblings here.

Offline birdboot

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: Thursday 08 November 18 18:53 GMT (UK) »
Sorry for the delay in replying, Jim, I have only just seen this post.
I don't think Charlotte is related to David Coutts.  The name Charlotte doesn't appear in any other family records.   I had a look on Scotland's People and the only Charlotte Coutts I can find around the 1830s are Charlotte baptised in New Deer (Aberdeen) in 1836, daughter of John Coutts and Margaret Innes, and Charlotte married in New Deer in 1839 to Alex Milne.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: Thursday 08 November 18 20:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jim

Welcome to RootsChat  :)

Charlotte Coutts and Charles Manser show as having at least two children:

Phoebe 1860 died 1935 https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:JKF9-L26
Charles 1863 died 1921 https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:KFW5-G98

From son Charles' death reg, his mother Charlotte is showing as born in Canada not Scotland. What makes you think she was born in Scotland.

See below:

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: Thursday 08 November 18 20:55 GMT (UK) »
See also www.findagrave.com/memorial/155502376 for further details. From this info, it looks to possibly be her father, an Alexander Coutts, who originated in Scotland. She also states in later census that her mother was also of Scottish origin.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk