Author Topic: James & Anne Kelly Ardnehue(Johnstown) sons Michael, John and James W  (Read 19321 times)

Offline josearcadio

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James & Anne Kelly Ardnehue(Johnstown) sons Michael, John and James W
« on: Saturday 13 April 13 07:11 BST (UK) »
Hello

I apologise in advance for the length of this post as I am trying to provide as much backgrounf information as possible.

I am trying to trace my Dad's and Grandfathers paternal family, originally from Ardnehue, (Johnstown), Carlow, but seem to have hit a wall.

The family grave is in St Mary's church, Bennekerry. (Tinryland records)

The names on the family headstone are as follows.
James Kelly - d. - aged 41 in 1890 or 1899 (so born approx 1849 or 1858)
Anne Kelly - b. 1850 - d. 29.11.1923 - Maiden name unknown (born in Kildare)
Michael Kelly b. 1883 - d. 8th or 9th June 1950 (possibly known as Dr O'Kelly)
John Kelly b. 1884 - d. Unknown (poss. moved to America or Australia)
James W. Kelly - b.1885 - d. 18/7/1905 - reported in the Nationalist - as 'Carlow Tragedy'

They had a family farm in Ardnehue, sold by Michael to Kehoe's in 1929, (the Kehoe family are still there and have been very helpful). The Kelly's then moved to Dublin, following the sale and have no knowledge what happened next.

The family was noteworthy for an unfortunate death.
The youngest son James W Kelly was killed playing for Tullow in a match with Carlow 1905. Sunday matches and GAA county final for Carlow was stopped for 1905, 1906 and 1907 on a recommendation of the Coroner!

They were friend of Hickeys in the local area.

After the death of the brother James, Michael and John emigrated, possibly both to the USA.
Michael worked as a Texas Ranger (we think) whilst in America and was apparently a naturalised US citizen, possibly returning to Ireland around 1915 to continue Medical studies.

He married Muriel O' Kelly - daughter of Edward Peter (EP) O'Kelly, of Baltinglass, (MP in Redmond's Home Rule -IPP 1910-1914).

I am told Michael and Muriel set up a nursing home as she had nursed in the Bon Secours.

I would like to find out what happened to John, (my grandfathers brother), if possible, and also any other family information available or history of the area at the time.

In particular, relating to the GAA match in 1905.

Many Thanks

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: James & Anne Kelly Ardnehue(Johnstown) sons Michael, John and James W
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 16 May 13 19:20 BST (UK) »
I see a US passport application from Feb. 1919 for Michael Joseph Kelly, born Ardnehue on 24 Apr. 1884.  It says he came to the US aboard the SS Cedric from Queenstown on 15 Feb. 1906.  He was naturalized before the Sec. Judicial District of Butte, Montana on 26 Jul. 1912.  He had lived in Arizona, Montana, & St. Louis and was currently living in Littleton, Colorado and working as a salesman.  He wanted to return home to visit his ill mother, Annie, who was 80 years old and whose farm was neglected. 

There is another passport application that appears to be for the same man from October 1914.  His occupation is listed as miner and medical student.  His permanent residence was in Montana, but he was in New York at the time. 

This appears to be Michael's WWI draft registration card - https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/K3RR-RD6

If you have a more exact date of birth for John, it might be helpful.

Offline josearcadio

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 17 May 13 19:31 BST (UK) »
Hello Shelleyesq,

Brilliant. I can't thank you enough for your post and all your research. It has made us all very happy as my Dad knew little of his fathers life in America.

I have done some research in the National Library in Ireland and found some details of the family and another brother, Paul Kelly, who served in WWI - (Gallipoli and The Battle of the Somme), but luckily, was medically discharged so survived the war. He settled in Australia we think.

Their first cousin James Nolan, died on board HMS Candy-tuft which was torpedoed off the Algerian Coast in 1917, and his brother was killed in the Boer War. Lots of adventures, and many tragedies.

I will collate the details for John when I get a little time and I have some birth dates, but once again, thank you. We had none of these details and no idea where to start. The dates and details will really help in our search.

Best Regards

Offline History Fossicker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 19 June 13 16:58 BST (UK) »
Anne Kelly was from Co. Kildare and a daughter of John and Mary Doyle, who lived variously at Tipper and Craddockstown just outside Naas, Co. Kildare.  They were also farmers.  There are a couple of very good reports of the death of James in the local newspapers. 

Paul was very lucky to be invalided home from WW1 with the mumps.   I think I have located him in Australia, NSW.  I had found his war records but had not realised he had stayed on.  I have requested a copy of his cert. which should let me know if he had any family.  I found what I think is a record of his marriage.  I will post the result when I get the cert. so you can update your records. His first cousin, Eric Douglas Doyle MC died in 1917.  There is a lot online for him in Australia.  His father, Anne's brother Andrew practised as a doctor in Queensland and married there.  Eric wrote very lively letters home, some of which have been published in a local history magazine in Australia. 

I was interested to learn about Michael's whereabouts, as I could not find him, between the census in 1901 and the report of his death.  I am trying to flesh out from the Doyle side.  If you find out what happened to John I would be very interested.

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 19 June 13 17:31 BST (UK) »
I found a certificate of registration of American citizen from the US consulate for Michael Kelly.  It says he was born 24 Apr. 1885 in Ardnehue.  It stated that his US residence was 5 West 101st Street, New York, NY.  It says he left his US residence on 9 Jan. 1915 and arrived in Ardnehue on 22 Jan. 1915 to complete his medical studies.  He was not married and had no children. The person to be informed in case of death or accident was John P. Kelly of 5 West 101st Street, New York, NY.

Offline josearcadio

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 19 June 13 19:10 BST (UK) »
That's Fantastic news 'History Fossicker' and 'shellyesq'. The family were all so excited to get two pieces of great information in one day.

I definitely owe you both a drink.

I have a copy of the Newspaper article which takes up most of a page of the 'The (Carlow) Nationalist', which I copied in the National Library in Dublin and is more in depth then the article available on-line.
I will be delighted to send you if you send me a Personal message thingy so I don't breach any copyrights etc.

I will send some updates soon.

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 19 June 13 19:19 BST (UK) »
You're welcome. 

I can see a Jno. P. Kelly living at 5 W. 101st Street in New York, NY city directories from 1915-1917.  His occupation was clerk or salesman.  He doesn't seem to be in the 1918 directory at the same address.

Offline History Fossicker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 20 June 13 09:02 BST (UK) »
Glad to be of help.  Do not worry about the article.  I also found it in the National Library and found it very interesting reading. 

I had found a newpaper report of Michael's death.  There were three children listed, but I assume you have that info.  Anne's will is also available in the National Archives. I do not want to ruin the sense of exhilaration when one emerges like a mole from the National Library or Archives with a nugget of information which helps one further on the way but if you would like my transcript, I can send it.

Best of luck.

Offline josearcadio

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 20 June 13 15:03 BST (UK) »
Yes, thank you. We'd love any details you can offer, especially on the newspaper report of Michael's death and a transcript of Anne's will, if you get a chance.

Not sure if you have this, but here is some family info you may not have.
Michael attended Knockbeg college (http://www.knockbegcollege.ie/) as a boarder which is part of Carlow College.
Paul Kelly - was a boarder at Newbridge college, Kildare.
John Kelly was Captain of the Tullow Team on the day his brother James was Killed.

I had a chat with my Mum, who said that from what she recalls, Paul, his wife and very possibly their children, came to stay with Michael and his family in Dublin for a few months, sometime in the late 30's, early 40's. Possibly with a view to staying, but they did return to Australia in the end.

Also, his brother John also seems to have had a family in America, as one of Michael's family went to stay with them while working in the US.

Yes, Michael had 3 children, one of whom may still be alive, two have passed.

Am I correct in thinking you are on the Doyle side of the family? If so, do you know how Michael was related to Dr Joseph Nolan as his wife, (Christina - I think), was a lead mourner at the funeral.
Is there any chance, Christina Nolan was Anne's sister?

Please do let me know if you need any information on Michael's family and if there is anything you can tell me more about the Doyle's, I will be very grateful.

Best Regards