Author Topic: James & Anne Kelly Ardnehue(Johnstown) sons Michael, John and James W  (Read 19322 times)

Offline josearcadio

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James & Anne Kelly Ardnehue(Johnstown) sons Michael, John and James W
« Reply #18 on: Friday 28 June 13 14:40 BST (UK) »
Mc Hugh's Chemist was still in Athy and within the same family until recently.

http://athyeyeonthepast.blogspot.co.uk/1994/01/mchughs-chemists.html

Offline mjroot

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 03 July 13 13:04 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I'm not sure how much you know about the Doyles, but in brief:
Anne, known as Nannie, was one of ten children of John and Mary Doyle of Craddockstown as mentioned above. She was the only girl to marry and two sisters entered a convent. Two brothers went to Australia and two stayed and married in Ireland. Edward married Marianne Whelan from Tullow in Carlow and stayed around Naas all his life. They had five children. Here's a memorial card for Anne's parents.

Offline History Fossicker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 05 July 13 08:28 BST (UK) »
I have been doing some research on the Doyle family and as the previous poster seemed to have knowledge of them, I wonder whether they have any information on Edward's brother John Doyle, as I have been trying to trace him after the birth of his daughters, without any success so far.
Any pointers would be good.

Offline mjroot

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 06 July 13 00:06 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I'm sorry I can't help with that.  My information is from others who have done the legwork and sadly they also came to a stop with John.

Offline History Fossicker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 06 July 13 08:47 BST (UK) »
Thanks for letting me know, even if my hopes were dashed!  There are sometimes moments of serendipity, when one happens by chance on something and we certainly need luck researching Irish ancestors. 

Offline KellyVT

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 04 January 15 00:45 GMT (UK) »
I haven't read everything posted here but I'd like people to know that I am the descendent of John Patrick Kelly who was born in 1884 and came to America. My father was also named John- John Michael Kelly. I have two sisters and together they have 12 grandchildren.  I have the same information as Jose has and I got it from our relative who was a priest and Galway. Has anyone mentioned another brother whose name is Paul and lived in Australia?  I will be reading over what you wrote, and come back with more questions or answers. 

Offline KellyVT

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 04 January 15 01:12 GMT (UK) »
I should add a little bit about Paul Kelly actually he was known as Paul O' Kelly.. Yes he did live in Australia. I met him once when he came to New York to visit his brother John Patrick Kelly.that was 1952 or 53.I went to visit Australia in 1989 and when in Sydney I looked up his death records.He was married to a woman by the name of Dewer. They did not have children and he lived in the Bondi Beach area that is north of Sydney. When I met him in 1952 or 53 he told me that he was a pharmacist and he rode his horse to work every day.he also brought my sisters and I boomerangs.  I met  Anne O'Kelly in 1962 or 63. She came to also to visit my grandfather. She told me at the time that she was working for a newspaper in Dublin.  It was Anne who pit me in touch with my priest cousin in Gallway. We had a few letters going back and forth but then they dropped off. He did send me a brief family map and when I find it again I will post it.  I tried to visit him in Ireland in 1984 but he died a couple of years before I got there.

My grandfather John Patrick Kelly was initially a doorman in New York City. He became a corrections officer for the city of New York soon after and was known in that area as "big John" as he stood 6 feet three and weighed about 300lbs.. He worked in the NYC jails known as the "tombs" until he was 75 years old. He died when he was 89. My father, John Michael Kelly lives until he was 92 years of age.

Offline josearcadio

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 04 January 15 20:42 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I can not begin to tell you how pleased I am to get your post.

I have spent many years trying to solve this puzzle and find out what happened to John when he went to America. I am only sorry my father is not alive as he would have been so happy.

I was given a copy of that family tree you mention in your post at a family gathering this summer. Fr Paddy O'Kelly SJ, completed it in 1968 just before I was born as the rest of my siblings are listed but as I was not born yet, I am not shown.

My grandfather was Michael Kelly, brother of John, Paul and James W and son of James Kelly and Annie Kelly (nee Doyle).
Michael married Muriel O'Kelly and they had three children, Ned, Patrick and Anne.
Patrick was my father and he passed away 15 years ago.
Anne, who you met in the 60's, was my Aunt.
Michael, my grandfather died in 1950.

I am writing this from my phone but so I will keep it short but I am delighted to be able to write to a relative of John as it has taken me many years to find your side of the family.

I have some details on Paul, lots on all the brothers early lives and much on the extended side of the family.
I will send more when I am sitting at my desk tomorrow includingsome photos.

I will also send you my contact details in a personal message.

Happy New Year

All the very best to you and your family.

Btw, There are nine great grandchildren of Michael on our side.

Offline KellyVT

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 05 January 15 00:23 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for this information.  I have forwarded it to my sisters. We are very interested in continuing your research and hearing more.    jackie.kelly.756412@facebook.com - Is is one of my public Facebook sites.  You can message me here for a private conversation and I will redirect you to my private email account and private facebook site. Thanks so much for all your work.