Author Topic: Whitchurch and Wellington Shropshire - Mathers or Mathars  (Read 1642 times)

Offline BaileyAnge

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Whitchurch and Wellington Shropshire - Mathers or Mathars
« on: Saturday 13 April 13 18:13 BST (UK) »
I have a christening record for my 2nd great-grandfather - Thomas Mathars for 20 Nov 1813 in Whitchurch, Shropshire. It states that his father was Joseph Mathers, a farmer and his mother was Elizabeth (probably Beddows). I cannot find any other children so I would like to know if anyone has access to the Whitchurch records of around that time.
In 1841, Joseph 65, a corn inspector, and Elizabeth 60 or 65 are living in Riddal Heath, Tarporley, Cheshire and in 1851 Elizabeth, now a widow, is living with Thomas and his family in Church Lane, Tarporley. The 1851 census states that she is 74 and was born in Wellington, Shropshire (ie born c 1775).
I would be grateful for any more information about Joseph and Elizabeth and their families.
[NB I was confused by a similarly named family in Ellersmere, but that Elizabeth was 10 years younger).
Many thanks

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline shirl100

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Whitchurch and Wellington Shropshire - Mathers or Mathars
« Reply #1 on: Monday 15 April 13 16:51 BST (UK) »
Hi there

www.familysearch.org.uk has the following baptisms with parents Joseph & Elizabeth at Whitchurch - from Bishops Transcripts, various spellings

Joseph Matthers 13 Jul 1800
Margaret Mathers 18 MAY 1801
Mary Matthers 29 May 1803
Elizabeth Matthers 15 Apr 1805
John Matthers 1 Oct 1809

If you are right about Elizabeth's maiden name of Beddows there is a baptism on familysearch in Wellington 8 Jun 1778 parents Thomas & Mary - parish register extract https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/J37J-63X

The only marriage on familysearch is to an Elizabeth Beddow in Wellington 1 Jan 1799
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/NKHL-2BM

Shirl
North,Noble,Harrison,Seller - North Riding Yorks parishes
Brown,Brooks,Watson - Belper/Duffield Derbys
Hole - Ashover Derbys
Webb, Flavell, Mason - Staffs (mainly Sedgley)
Bevan,Beamond - Chirbury Shropshire
Longridge - Northumberland/Durham
Freeman - Hampshire, Oxfordshire,Sussex
Smith - Derbyshire and Yorkshire
Whitehead - Yorkshire
Morris - St Pancras Yorkshire etc

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline BaileyAnge

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Whitchurch and Wellington Shropshire - Mathers or Mathars
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 16 April 13 06:45 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for this