Author Topic: William Bourne of Belper - Denby pottery  (Read 4020 times)

Offline queenswood 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
William Bourne of Belper - Denby pottery
« on: Sunday 14 April 13 14:43 BST (UK) »
I am researching the Bourne family of Staffordshire but I am led to understand that William Bourne who took over the pottery works in Belper in 1800 could have been part of the Staffordshire family.
I belive that william was born in the 1740s and that his son Joseph became involved with the pottery works.
On the website entitled Belper Derbyshire- Historical and Genealogical records, it implies that william Bourne of Belper was somehow family related to the family of Hugh Bourne of Bucknall Staffs.
Is anyone able to give me any information on this please.
I am a member of the Bourne family on my mother's side and my grandfather was a prim Methodist preacher who preached at Mow Cop in the 1920s.
Our family have also been involved with the pottery industry in Stoke for the last 70 years.
Any small bits of help would be really appreciated!
Caroline
Roots/Day/Atkins - (Essex/Suffolk/ London)Bourne/Milner/Corden-(Staffs/Shrops/Cheshire)
Wood/Gibbs/Battrick/Fall/Budden-(Dorset)

Offline celiarenshaw

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Bourne of Belper - Denby pottery
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 23 September 15 20:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Caroline, I wonder if you've found out more about William BOURNE since your 2013 post?  I am in the midst of research into early Primitive Methodists in Derbyshire and of course have come across multiple references to Hugh BOURNE, but also to the BOURNE family in Belper.  Like you, I read that the families were connected.  I recently visited the Methodist Archives at John Rylands Library in Manchester for the first time and read in one of Hugh BOURNE's notebooks (date 1811) that his brother William was in America.  Since my primary interest is in Prims who went to the USA in the 1810-30 period, I was very curious to see that.  Hugh's nephew Joseph BOURNE (son of his brother James) also travelled with the first official Prim missionaries to America in 1829, though he went on business of his own.  I'd be happy to shares notes if you are interested.  Celia Renshaw in Chesterfield, Derbys.

Offline queenswood 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 24 September 15 08:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Celia- researching the Bourne family in conjunction with Prim Methodists is a lengthy and confusing project!I went down a lot of 'dead ends' in an attempt to prove a family myth that we were related directly to High Bourne. I eventually confirmed our family link by virtue of a line that descends directly into my tree from George Mountford who married Hannah Bourne- Hugh Bourne's sister. Of course Hugh Bourne himself never married so there was never going to be a direct blood line but my line comes down through his sister directly through to my late mother.
I have never had the chance to see the records in the John Ryland Library but would love to do so at some time- we are due to go on a visit to the library next month with a group that I belong to- I will definitely ask about the Prim Methodist Records there- can you give me any tips to cut through to the salient research areas? I acquired a copy of the Memoirs of the Life and Labours of the Late Venerable Hugh Bourne written by John Walford (Hugh Bourne's nephew) and written in 1854- it was a reprint by Cambridge Press that i found via Amazon and is quite an interesting read as it is real autobiography written by a relative that knew Hugh Bourne and his family personally.
I think I have more or less concluded my research which has taken over 10 years but if you have any specific questions or areas that need researching please contact me and I will do my best to help if I can. Good Luck!!!!!!
Roots/Day/Atkins - (Essex/Suffolk/ London)Bourne/Milner/Corden-(Staffs/Shrops/Cheshire)
Wood/Gibbs/Battrick/Fall/Budden-(Dorset)

Offline spendlove

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 24 September 15 20:57 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Posting again a reply I made to another post re Bourne Family of Belper:-

"My understanding is:-

Richard Bourne = Rebecca Dodds  and their son William Bourne, was born 1747 Eastwood, Notts he died 3rd October 1823.

William Bourne married Edith Dawes.
15th February 1770 - Marriage Licence Bonds, Nottinghamshire Archdeaconry  Court gives
the following information:-
William Bourne parish of Eastwood, Potter 22 Bachelor and Edith Dawes parish of Greasley
18 spinster of Greasley.
George Dawes is Bond, and Father of Edith.

The children of William Bourne Snr & Edith Dawes:-

William Jnr
Joseph
John
Edward

Still researching this family, think that the Belper Research Site only connects Hugh Bourne &
Bourne of the Potteries because of their religious belief not that they were related by birth.

To which branch of the Bourne family are you connected ?"

Connection to previous post:-

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=643563.9

William Bourne Snr, is recorded in the 1791 Belper Enclosure as residing at the Pottery Works,
Belper,

Spendlove
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Spendlove, Strutt in London & Middlesex.

Offline celiarenshaw

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 25 September 15 11:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Caroline, many thanks for your replies and responding so quickly.  I take the point that Hugh BOURNE's line and the Belper/Denby line are perhaps not closely related, if at all, but it does seem exceeding strange that both families had involvement with pottering and with non-conformity.  Then again, for me that question is not top of the target list!  My main focus is on tracking early Prims who went to the USA in the 1810-1830 period, and I'm deeply curious about Hugh's brother William who is noted as over there preaching in 1811.  I wonder if you or any of your contacts have found out anything about that William?  It appears he was bap in Stoke on Trent in 1777 (Familysearch), so about 5 years younger than Hugh.

As for John Rylands Library, first off it's a great experience.  The original library looks like Hogwarts but they've added a whole new extension that is light, and glassy and classy, including the reading room on Level 4.  On the downside, the finding aids leave something to be desired, and I struggled, despite years of experience now with online catalogues!  I think some of the listings and aids are not online yet, so is probably worth asking the staff when there, or in email beforehand.

Best starting point is here: http://www.library.manchester.ac.uk/search-resources/guide-to-special-collections/methodist/, from where you can download the pdf guide to collections.  The Assistant Librarian Peter Nockles advised me to search the archive catalogue on ELGAR (link on the above webpage) and the printed materials in the online catalogue: http://www.library.manchester.ac.uk/search-resources/.  Peter also confirmed that there is no discreet catalogue or listing of their Primitive Methodist materials.  So I just typed 'Primitive' in both ELGAR and the library search, and got a good set of results.

When I visited I focussed on Hugh Bourne's notebooks, the earliest Conference minutes (1819-35) and Primitive Methodist Magazine for 1828-9 plus a couple of other smaller items.  They urge you to order as much as possible of what you want to see, as much in advance as possible.

Perhaps we can talk again after your visit in a few weeks' time?  I hope at some point to also visit the Englesea Museum and possibly the Oxford Centre, in hope of finding sources referenced in Kendall's history which are exactly what I'm looking for, but who knows where they are now!  I'm happy to talk more by email (I'll send you my address soon via private message on the forum).  Or if you're on the Derbysgen mailing list, you'll find me there.  Regards Celia