Author Topic: Wellington Archives divorce look up COMPLETED  (Read 9173 times)

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Wellington Archives divorce look up COMPLETED
« Reply #36 on: Wednesday 11 October 17 17:27 BST (UK) »
Here is a link to Purewa Cemetery, Auckland, and the burial details for Henry James PHILIPS (1896) and Kate PHILIPS  (1917):

http://www.purewa.co.nz/search/
[Just type in "Philips" in the surname box. ]

~  Lu

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Wednesday 11 October 17 17:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Margot

This is where the name "Frank" PHILIPS comes into play. 

http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/HBH19020925.2.5

PHILIPS-HARPHAM marriage  ... Frank, youngest son of late Captain PHILIPS of Auckland ...

He was Hyde's brother.   ;)

~  Lu

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Wednesday 11 October 17 18:11 BST (UK) »
Hi again Margot

Just adding all manner of snippets here, for you.  (A bit random, but I'm sure you can sort them out). 

This is Hyde's arrival in New Zealand as a wee babe.   :)

Passenger List for ss "HERO" - from Melbourne to Sydney - 29 September 1879 :

Saloon Passengers

Mrs PHILIPS
Henry PHILIPS
Oscar - 7 years
Maud - 6 years
Charlotte - 3 years
Frank - 2 years
Hyde - infant, 3 months

In the Remarks column at side of list, there is a bracket drawn encompassing a good number of passengers (saloon / steerage etc.) and including the PHILIPS family, with the words ... "These go on to Auckland."

~ Lu

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Wednesday 11 October 17 18:25 BST (UK) »
... and found this in the Auckland Star - 6 October 1879 ...

http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/AS18791006.2.8

Arrival of the "HERO" 

... has ..."Mrs PHILLIPS, infant and five children ... and 6 servants,  Master H. PHILLIPS :
That is slightly at odds with the previous list - the Melbourne to Sydney journey ?

I actually think that the "H. PHILIPS" listed under name of "Mrs PHILIPS" is in fact, Henry PHILIPS (husband of Kate) ... because only the children on that passenger list had their ages added. ?    [I'll have to go back and re-check if there was also a Master H. PHILIPS ??]

The 6 servants may well have been travelling with the PHILIPS family - they were also listed in the Saloon compartment, directly under the PHILIPS name.

~  Lu

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Wednesday 11 October 17 18:57 BST (UK) »
.. yet another passenger list ...  ::)

This is a transcription from the Mariners in Australian Waters, site (and a good example of why it is a sound idea to always check transcribed information with the original source, where possible.)  ;D

http://marinersandships.com.au/1879/09/114her.htm

So if you scroll down this list to near end of page, you'll see a "SCAN" button highlighted in red.
Click on this and it will take you to the original passenger list.

I couldn't see "a Master H. PHILLIPS  / PHILIPS (only Henry listed under "Mrs PHILIPS" ... but now I think about it, this Henry could be a child aged over 12 years ?? )
Hyde (transcribed as "Hydi" ) and aged as 5 months ?   I read that as 3 months .. and we do know she was born on 12 June 1879 at Adelaide.
6 Servants : ??      I can see one > Emily KELLY, servant > listed underneath the PHILIPS family.  Then follows > Mr and Mrs THOMSON and their children .. Mary, Minnie, Maggie, May .. etc.

Bah .. trivial stuff  ;D ... but it's always nice to have details of how our ancestors "got here".
Usually it's difficult to find detailed passenger lists to NZ, especially out of Sydney.

~  Lu

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Wednesday 11 October 17 19:10 BST (UK) »
... marriage notice for Hyde's brother, Oscar PHILIPS :   (He and his brother Frank, married the HARPHAM sisters, Annie and Ethel May. )

http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/HBH18990617.2.5

Offline margot231

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Wednesday 11 October 17 19:16 BST (UK) »
 :D :o  Wow!  I am passing this on to my mother (Hyde's granddaughter) who knew nothing of all of this.  It is worth a lot to us - thank you so much.  Mum and her sister called Hyde 'Clarky'.  They didn't see much of her growing up - just occasional visits.  Hyde had three children, one daughter killed in the Napier earthquake when she was early 20s, another daughter (my grandmother) who survived the quake but was dug out next to her sister with injuries and a younger brother who never married.  You'd think Hyde would have visited her only surviving daughter and grandchildren more often but didn't.  She and George Thorne George were divorced and we always heard 'she lived in hotels'.  But maybe she lived with her own mother in Parnell.  Her death cert says she died in Parnell at 41 St stephens ave. None of us knew about her siblings and Frank!! who was married in Taradale. 
I wonder if the divorce documents shed any light on what happened.  I notice her death certificate states 'widow' but actually she was divorced years earlier.   

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Wednesday 11 October 17 19:24 BST (UK) »
Hyde's Other siblings - Marriages :

Maud PHILIPS - Harold MILLINGTON - Year:  1901

Charlotte PHILIPS - Wilfred CONOLLY - Year: 1917

Henry William Cosby PHILIPS* - Mary Ann McINNES - Year :  1893

[*This Henry was born in India 1863 - I now think he was probably the "Henry" on the passenger list of the "Hero" (Melb. to Sydney 1879)  ...  he would have been 15 /16 years old  at that time.
It's possible too that as the family were moving from Australia to live in NZ, that Henry (Captain)  had gone ahead of them ?? ]

~ Lu

Offline margot231

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Wednesday 11 October 17 19:36 BST (UK) »
oh yes i agree I think Henry was the eldest son.  It mentions that Oscar was the 2nd son of Capt Philips in the marriage notice - so that makes sense and her husband must have gone ahead and met them.  :)