Author Topic: Parents of George Alfred HUNT (born about 1883)  (Read 8734 times)

Offline gareth_1971

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Parents of George Alfred HUNT (born about 1883)
« on: Tuesday 16 April 13 01:02 BST (UK) »
Hi all

I am trying to track down details (birth details plus parent's details) of my Great Grandfather, George Alfred HUNT born about 1883 and who died on 10 Aug 1954.

I have been able to track down the name of his father, George Henry HUNT through the details of George Alfred's marriage to Mary Ann DARLING in Battersea (12 May 1904) but cannot find any index / census reference for George Alfred's birth or any more details on George Henry.

It is possible that George Alfred was born in either Scotland or England but, to date, have lucked out searching for details anywhere that tie the two together.

Any help / hints would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks !

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Parents of George Alfred HUNT (born about 1883)
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 16 April 13 01:20 BST (UK) »
Was  Mary Ann born circa 1885 in Battersea daughter of James and Harriet.

If so what looks to be her with a new husband is on the 1911 census only instead of being George Hunt its Henry Hunt and they claim to be married 4 years instead of 7. If this is the right couple could explain why you afre having difficulty finding them. (This Henry says he is born Kensington)
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 16 April 13 02:01 BST (UK) »
Hi just doing a quick check of Freebmd births would I be correct in saying that they are in Neath, Glamorganshire c 1911?

Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline gareth_1971

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 16 April 13 02:55 BST (UK) »
@davidft - that is very interesting .. Yes, Mary Ann DARLING was the daughter of James DARLING and Harriett BENNETT though according to my dad (who was born in Neath in 1940), Mary Ann was still around there with George Alfred at the time (see below).

@keyboard86 - yes, I should have included that information.  The family (George Alfred and Mary Ann) did move to Neath which is where my Grandfather (also George Alfred and born in 1914) and his siblings were born.  in the 1911 censuse they are indeed in Neath with their first child (Lillian Annie).  I am good with the Neath onwards piece, it is working back that is troubling me !

Thanks for the help so far !

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 16 April 13 06:43 BST (UK) »
Hi

Would you post the other details from the marriage certificate?
Specifically, the addresses and what both fathers did for a living.

Thanks

Ray

[ Davidft - You don't seem to be looking at the closest match? ]

"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 16 April 13 06:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Ray, I looked at the marriage last night the address was that of Mary Ann's parents in latest census and George the father of George A was a builder, their is one to be found with a son George of correct yob but this George jnr appears to be a George Henry as well?! George Alfred, would appear to be born in same place as marriage, to give you a clue!!
Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 16 April 13 09:59 BST (UK) »
Not this one?

George Alfred Hunt
Sep 1883
Mile End
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 16 April 13 11:54 BST (UK) »

[ Davidft - You don't seem to be looking at the closest match? ]

I was trying an alternative approach as I had no luck with George Alfred Hunt (although I did see the 1883 Mile End birth), so I concentrated on Mary Ann. I found the correct Mary Ann in the bmd's but then went astray with the censuses it would seem. I had to stop then as I could not get back onto rootschat due to server issues.
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 16 April 13 13:20 BST (UK) »
Do you know the names of any of George Alfred's brothers and sisters / as that may help track down George in earlier years