Author Topic: Age recorded as minor on marriage certificate?  (Read 3416 times)

Offline Faye567

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Age recorded as minor on marriage certificate?
« on: Wednesday 17 April 13 18:24 BST (UK) »
Hi, I guess I just wanted to verify this with someone who is more experienced than me. But, I have an ancestor who's age is recorded as being a minor on her marriage certificate in 1840. Her husbands age is recorded as being of Full age. Am I right in thinking this means he was over 18 and she was under 18? I know that what age is considered to be a minor has changed over time, so I just wanted to make sure I was understanding this correctly.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Huckleberry

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Aged recorded as minor on marriage certificate?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 17 April 13 18:32 BST (UK) »
Age of majority was 21 in 1840.  Lowered to 18 in 1970

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Age recorded as minor on marriage certificate?
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 17 April 13 18:59 BST (UK) »
 "Full age in a male or female is twenty-one years, which age is completed on the day preceding the anniversary of a person's birth." Blackstone's Commentaries on the Laws of England

Stan
Mapstone, Mapston.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mr Momo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Age recorded as minor on marriage certificate?
« Reply #3 on: Monday 20 March 17 09:34 GMT (UK) »
I have a 30 January 1858 marriage certificate from the Church of Ireland in Dublin.

I am pretty sure that the bride was under 21 and I reckon that the word 'Senior' has been entered in the Age column.

What does 'Senior' mean?  Or if I am mistaken in my interpretation, what might it have been?

Momo