Author Topic: British Library lookup - The Barretts of Jamaica: The Family of Elizabeth Barret  (Read 4503 times)

Offline Gen List Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Jane ANDERSON nee DODD, 2 x g grandmother.
    • View Profile
This seems to be a rare and/or expensive book! I have tried to get it through my library with no success. Then I saw this part of Rootschat I'd not noticed before.

I know from Google Books that this book has several mentions of a man called "Samuel Hilton" who seemed to work for the Barretts in some capacity. Pages 74 and 75 are noted but there might be more if the book is indexed.

The full title, author and ISBN number are as follows:
The Barretts of Jamaica: The Family of Elizabeth Barrett Browning
R A Barrett
Publication Date: Jan 2000 | ISBN-10: 0485300427 | ISBN-13: 978-0485300420

If SKP is going to the BL and could look up any references in this book to Samuel Hilton, I would be delighted with photocopies of the relevant text.

I am quite willing to recompense the SKP for making copies and postage or I can make a donation to a charity of your choice if that is preferred.

Gen in NBL England
UK - Northumberland, County Durham: ANDERSON,   DODD(S), EDWARDS, ELLIOTT/ELLET, FENWICK, GREY/GRAY, HINDMARCH and variants, JORDAN, MOORE, MURRAY, RIPPON, RODDHAM, RYDER-TURNER, SPARK(E)(S), STEWART, TILLEY, TIPLADY, WATSON,
Sheffield: TURNER
Middlesex: RYDER
<br />Aberdeenshire: EDWARDS, BRODIE<br />Angus STEWART, DIXON, PETRIE

Offline Gen List Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Still hoping for SKS  ???

Gen in NBL England
UK - Northumberland, County Durham: ANDERSON,   DODD(S), EDWARDS, ELLIOTT/ELLET, FENWICK, GREY/GRAY, HINDMARCH and variants, JORDAN, MOORE, MURRAY, RIPPON, RODDHAM, RYDER-TURNER, SPARK(E)(S), STEWART, TILLEY, TIPLADY, WATSON,

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
I know from Google Books that this book has several mentions of a man called "Samuel Hilton" who seemed to work for the Barretts in some capacity. Pages 74 and 75 are noted but there might be more if the book is indexed.

Three mentions, according to the index. Also one on page 77
The first two pages have snippet views, googling the shown "text" usually brings up more.

Offline Gardener

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
(While you wait for help, and pretty much what is said above) if you search within the GoogleBook for "Hilton" then you will get snippets for pages 74, 75 and the index entry on page 205. To see the snippet for page 77 you need to search for "Hiltons".
Rose (Black Country),Downs (Black Country),Wolloxall (any and all),Bark (Derbyshire),Wright (Derbyshire),Marsden (Derbyshire), Wallace (Black Country)

All census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Hi Gen

I can look for you next time I go, it's available from stock at the library so doesn't have to be ordered in advance.

I most probably won't be going this week, but next week or most weeks thereafter.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline anne_p

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Have you already looked here:
https://www.ucl.ac.uk/lbs/

There are 2 Samuel Hilton's listed in Jamaica. ( Westmoreland and St Catherines) and a number of Barretts

Also this:

Elizabeth Barrett and Robert Browning?

http://www.jamaicanfamilysearch.com/Samples2/fred05.htm

Offline Gen List Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Yes Anne P I know both those sites but thank you for mentioning them.

Thank you Dawnsh, no hurry, I've waited about two years anyway:-)

Jon and Gardener, unfortunately "snippet view" is exactly what it says, you cannot scroll down or move onto the next page as far as I know but thank you for your suggestions.

Gen in NBL England