Author Topic: Loch Ryan Cemetery  (Read 11473 times)

Offline suzilad

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Loch Ryan Cemetery
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 20 April 13 11:08 BST (UK) »
Hi looby,
             Think nothing of it only to willing to help.

Unfortunately they are not in any of the three books I have -- then again there might not be a
marker.
I have a Canadian friend who has the Stoneykirk book -- I'll see if she can find them won't be for a few
days though.
suzilad

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 20 April 13 11:21 BST (UK) »
Thanks Suzilad,

It was worth asking...although I think I might be on a wild goose chase. :D

Think my folk were so poor they'd be lucky to pay the gravedigger never mind For a headstone.

Looby

Offline suzilad

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 20 April 13 12:00 BST (UK) »

Hi looby ,
              Were did Thomas and Annie die ?
Yes a lot of mine were the same agric. labourers over from Ireland to Portpatrick which is where they landed  before 1841 .
Although I was amazed when I saw the size of my gg grandfather's headstone in Portpatrick cemetery stood about 7ft and he also worked on the farms it really puzzled me how he could have afforded something so grand .
My ggg grandfather was the beadle/gravedigger at Kirkcolm in the 1850's and 60's kept quite good records as I found out when I was researching there.

Keep me posted how you get on --

suzilad

Offline catleugh

• RootsChat Extra
  • Into every life a little sun must shine.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 21 April 13 00:15 BST (UK) »
Hi suzilad,
I don't know of any connection with the two Cunninghams you mention in Leswalt cemetery - something else to check on. Thanks for looking in the books
Catleugh - Cunningham - Welsh - Lewis - Lumsden - Lumley-Murdoch-Hoggan-Cowie-Lester-Amos-Pearson-Herbert-Spalding

Offline catleugh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 25 April 13 09:03 BST (UK) »
Looby.
I was in Stranraer on Tuesday, but forgot to keep an eye open for Thomas and Annie Dorman (sorry).  I suppose you know about some earlier Dormans listed here:
http://freepages.history.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~ainsty/parishes/leswalt/death/a_d.html
As for my own Great Grandmother, I have decided that it's most likely that she's in Sheucan cemetery, which is in sight of Loch Ryan, and although in Stranraer is included in Leswalt Parish (she gave birth to my grandfather in Auchnotteroch, Leswalt six months befor she died in Inch Parish).  No stone there, but there are a lot of stones missing.
Catleugh - Cunningham - Welsh - Lewis - Lumsden - Lumley-Murdoch-Hoggan-Cowie-Lester-Amos-Pearson-Herbert-Spalding

Offline catleugh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 25 April 13 09:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Looby,
I was feeling guilty about forgetting to look out for your ggg grandparents, so I used a couple of spare credits I had for the Scotlands People website.
Thomas Dorman is listed as having died in Leswalt Parish, in 1864 - age not given.
Found two Annie Dormans who died in Wigtown County around that time, one age zero, died in 1899 at Penninghame, Wigtown, and the other aged 20, died at Stranraer (other surname given as Stevenson). The next nearest didn't die until 1913 (Annie, other surname Little, aged 54, in Stranraer), and 1916 (Annie Elizabeth, aged 47, in Stranraer).
Could your Annie have moved from the area after Thomas died?

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 25 April 13 13:53 BST (UK) »
Thank you Catleugh!
But don't feel guilty about not looking :D. I'll have a good wander round myself in about a months time when I manage to get to the area. My husband will love it ::)

Yes the Thomas Dorman you found died in 1864 is my ggg grandfather so maybe Leswalt would be the best place to look for him although he wasn't in suzilad's book.
Annie Dorman may well have died elsewhere, some of her family came to Ayrshire. I must have a look myself on SP.
The Annie Dorman/ Little died 1913 in Stranraer is a daughter of the couple.

I have all the families birth's/ censuses. And I have Thomas's death , just wondered if there was a grave to visit and photograph!

But thanks for looking for me and I'm sorry you didn't find your own great grandmother's grave.
How sad that she died young and leaving a baby (your granddad behind). I suppose if money was tight her widower would not be able to provide a headstone. I think many of my various family lines have been buried in unmarked graves. :)  Bu tas long as we're talking about them , they are not forgotten.

Best wishes Looby

Offline catleugh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 26 April 13 08:28 BST (UK) »
Looby,
I'm like your husband, I enjoy looking round old cemeteries just for the sake of it, so don't feel I had a wasted journey.  I visited 12 altogether, in the parishes of Inch, Stranraer, and Leswalt.  The most interesting was Inch Old Parish Churchyard.  It's on private land, so I parked at the new churchyard, then walked through the gates towards Lochinch Castle.  You have to go through a hole in the fence to get into the churchyard.  If you go, try not to disturb the goose that is nesting in one of the ruined buildings!

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 26 April 13 19:59 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the advice Catsleugh ;D.
Regards,
Looby