Author Topic: General Joseph Wightman or Whileman or Whiteman... Army look up Please...  (Read 1493 times)

Offline patval

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Whilst researching my husband’s grt grt grt grt Grandfather John Warden in the hopes of finding his father we came across a possible match in Glasgow Born in 1729 to parents John Warden and Janet Pettecrew…. 
(John is recorded as being born in 1729 in his excise salary records, he was an Excise Officer)
On his baptism record John’s father was recorded as being a soldier in General Whitemans/Whilemans Regiment….. It has been suggested that the General was most probably General Joseph Wightman, an English soldier, so it was quite possible that John Warden was English and not from Scotland as we had thought… if so,  this would mean a different approach was required to find John…
In 1719 the Jacobites attempted to join the Spanish Duke of Ormonde in an invasion in the north-west, and were confronted by an Hanoverian army led by General Wightman at the pass of Glenshiel and after some hours of engagement, the Jacobite forces disbanded.
However, I have just found evidence that General Joseph Wightman died in 1722…. Is it possible that in 1729, John would have his profession recorded as being a soldier in General Wightmans Regiment??
Does anyone know if there was another General of a similar name?

Many thanks Patricia
Names: Warden, McDonald, Muirison, Kirk, Valentine, Forbes. also Kift (Braunton in Devon)

Areas: Scotland - Edinburgh, Dundee, Moulin, Dunkeld, Alyth, Invernes, Dornoch, Findhorn, Wick, Peterhead, Aberdeen and Turriff. Also for Valentine and Forbes.. Stonehaven, Fettercairn, St Vigeans and Girvan.

Offline ampshetler

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: General Joseph Wightman or Whileman or Whiteman... Army look up Please...
« Reply #1 on: Friday 16 February 18 15:26 GMT (UK) »
I commented on a prior post of yours regarding John Warden - is this the same Warden who may have married Margaret McDonald?