Author Topic: Help with my GG Grandmother  (Read 9734 times)

Offline mandy241005

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help with my GG Grandmother
« on: Friday 19 April 13 13:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Everyone,
I am not sure if any one here can helped me but I am stumped trying to find the birth of my 2nd  Great Grandmother and information on her parents.
I have her Marriage Certificate and it states
My 2nd Great Grandfather
William Albert Martin married Margaret Florence Davis. Her birthplace being listed as being in Walgett and her parents being George Davis (dec'd) and Sarah Ward (dec'd) when she was married on 17 Apr 1906
I also have her death in 12 Aug 1963 at Balmain her parents listed the same as above and I have her burial at Nowra General Cemetery. But I cannot find her birth. I have searched NSW BDM and the only Margaret Florence born to a George and Sarah Is a "Margaret Florence Brockenborough" District Walgett year 1879. Surely this is to much of a coincidence not to be my Margaret. I have ordered the record but in the meantime I am stumped trying to find information on her prior to her marriage using the names Davis or Brockenborough I was wondering if anyone had any ideas were I should look next. Any ideas or thoughts would be greatly appreciated. :)
Thanks
Mandy
Cooper----
Hume------
Hayes-----
Scotson---

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help with my GG Grandmother
« Reply #1 on: Friday 19 April 13 14:36 BST (UK) »
What was her age on the marriage cert?

Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mandy241005

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 19 April 13 14:45 BST (UK) »
She was 28 at the time of marriage.
Cooper----
Hume------
Hayes-----
Scotson---

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 19 April 13 14:58 BST (UK) »
Did you gggrandmother have any siblings?

I see that George Brockenborough and Sarah ( no surname given for her) had 3 children registered -
George, 1877 registered at Walgett (Edit: died 1877, reg Walgett, surname Brokenborough)
Margaret Florence, 1879, reg Walgett
Hannah Elizabeth, 1881, reg Bourke (Edit: died 1881, reg Bourke, surname Brokenborough)

There is a public tree which suggests that George Brockenborough's wife and mother of these children was Sarah Margaret McCusker and adds another child James William 1883, reg at Walgett - spelt BROKENBOROUGH: .  There are some older half-siblings for the Brockenborough children.

It is not looking as though this is your gggrandmother - but it sure is a co-incidence.  Please let us know what you find on the birth certificate.

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MargP

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Three generations
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 19 April 13 15:01 BST (UK) »
Hi

The Rrockenborough name sounds more like a place, then a surname, I wonder if it as been transcribe incorrectly, the 1st names of the parents are right, also the area, unless for some reseason George changed his name, what information do you have on the marriage for George and Sarah

Margp
Family History is a Pandora's box if you don't like what you see find a new hobby,only concentrate on the proven facts and not the facts you think you know.
Jenkins, Radnorshire. Herefordshire, Canada
Coley Dudley.
Baston, Cleobury Mortimer.Wolverhampton
Parker Stafford.
Hammond/s Wolverhampton.Shropshire
Duckworth Cheshire.
Proud Walsall.Proud Cape South Africa
Horton Darlaston.
Stanton Walsall.
Tudor. Radnorshire
Pittaway. Droitwich

Offline mandy241005

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 19 April 13 15:17 BST (UK) »
Thanks for helping,
This lady is driving me insane I brought the record just because it seemed a coincidence and I didn't know where else to look not sure if it will turn up anything. I know nothing of this side of my family and am not sure if she had any siblings and I don't have any info on her parents as I only have their names off the marriage certificate and death record. I have no dates for them.  :-\

Thanks
Mandy
Cooper----
Hume------
Hayes-----
Scotson---

Offline MargP

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Three generations
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 19 April 13 15:44 BST (UK) »
Hi

I have found this record
NSW Police Gazette

Vide Police Gazette, 1871, Page 315, and 1872, page 134

George Brokenborough, not Brackenbury, as stated in previous reports charged on warrant with forging a cheque for £7.10s and uttering the same to John Brasen, was arrested by constable Malarkey, Singleton Police, remanded to Walgett

Could Margaret have been adopted by George Davis. and Sarah Ward was her mother, and the wife of George Brokenborough

Margp
Family History is a Pandora's box if you don't like what you see find a new hobby,only concentrate on the proven facts and not the facts you think you know.
Jenkins, Radnorshire. Herefordshire, Canada
Coley Dudley.
Baston, Cleobury Mortimer.Wolverhampton
Parker Stafford.
Hammond/s Wolverhampton.Shropshire
Duckworth Cheshire.
Proud Walsall.Proud Cape South Africa
Horton Darlaston.
Stanton Walsall.
Tudor. Radnorshire
Pittaway. Droitwich

Offline muss

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 19 April 13 22:58 BST (UK) »
Hi

If the tree on Ancestry is correct, and the mother of Margaret Florence is Sarah Margaret McCusker, I have some information.  Constantine Cornelius McCusker married Ellen Galbraith, their daughter Sarah Margaret born 01 May 1851 married 1st Thomas McDonald.
 Ellen Galbraith, father Matthew Galbraith , mother Sarah Carter, is part of my Family Tree  ( a lot of information on this family available on the net).
Siblings of Sarah Margaret
 Anthony McCusker changed his surname to HOLTON  he lived in NSW and QLD.  I have Ellen's death certificate and Anthony Holton (son) was the informant.
Mary Jane married William Frederick Charles  WYMAN, he changed his surname to GOLDEN
another sister married a MONKTON ( I think from memory he or his brother was somehow connected to William Ward ( Thunderbolt)
Maybe that is how the name WARD is connected.
 Good luck with trying to sort out this family.
Muss

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 19 April 13 23:27 BST (UK) »
There is a death of a George Davis at Narrabri in 1889 and a Sarah Davis at Narrabri in 1891, also a Sarah Davis in 1901 at Tamworth, which might throw light on the family.  Plus a few George Davis deaths in the general Armidale - Glen Innes area between 1877 & 1902.

Do you know the occupation of George?  If he was a farmer, perhaps land records for that district may help?

If George Brockenborough was convicted in 1871 (see Police Gazette) he may well have changed his name on release??

Dawn M
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)