Author Topic: Searching for UK Child Migrant, May EVANS born 1912 UK Arrived Australia 1927.  (Read 5040 times)

Offline Daizee

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Searching for any info on May EVANS, born 7 May 1912 Toxteth Park, Liverpool UK.  Daughter of Daniel Evans and Margaret Loughlin.  May's siblings were Daniel (remained UK) Ellen (came to Australia in 1926) and Christina (UK).  May was in the care of Dr Barnardos and arrived in Sydney, Australia as a Child Migrant on the SS Themistocles 17 September 1927.  Barnardos records reveal that she worked as a Parlour Maid for various Sydney families - her last known employer was in Bathurst 1935 when contact lost.  Our family, has searched for years without success.   Any clues please?

Offline ennael

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Searching for UK Child Migrant, May EVANS born 1912 UK Arrived Australia 1927.
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 20 April 13 02:58 BST (UK) »
Hi.

Is May her full name?

Leanne

Offline Daizee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Searching for UK Child Migrant, May EVANS born 1912 UK Arrived Australia 1927.
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 20 April 13 03:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Enneal – thank you.  Yes May is the only name on her Birth Certificate.  May could have assumed another name as we have searched BDM New South Wales, have purchased about six Marriage Certificates for May Evans in NSW.  SAG have done a search for us and so to Family Connect – just can’t seem to find any trace of her.  Still hoping for a clue, so thanks again. 

Online garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 20 April 13 06:27 BST (UK) »
Hiya Daizee - and Welcome to Rootschat
www.lancashirebmd.org.uk
EVANS May   Toxteth Park SW    Liverpool     TPSW/14/76

I live 4 miles from Toxteth - let me see if I can get any info

allan
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Online garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 20 April 13 06:45 BST (UK) »
Might I suggest you check these out ?
www.freebmd.org.uk  births  Evans  -  Loughlin  1912 -1930
1912  May Evans  Toxteth Park  Liverpool  TP 8b 329
twins
1914   George and Sarah A Evans   Toxteth Park Liverpool TP  8b 265 - mmn  Loughlin
1916  Christina Evans  Toxteth Park  Liverpool  TP 8b  267 -  mmn Loughlin
1918  Elisabeth Evans  Toxteth Park  Liverpool  TP 8b  207  - mmn Loughlin

as you already have Christina - the twins and Elisabeth look very likely siblings to me
They might be on Lancsbmd site as well
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Online garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 20 April 13 07:09 BST (UK) »
1936 Sarah A Evans married George Q Brown - South Liverpool
1938 Sarah A Evans married David I More - South Liverpool
I presume one of these is the Sarah A Evans b 1914 ( one of the twins  )
IF the above 3 other Evans /Loughlin in the last post ARE siblings of May - go to
www.liverpool-genealogy.co.uk
register - and post a thread - there may well be Evans family of May still in Toxteth Park - we locally call Toxteth Park "The Dingle "...loads of good footballers called Evans in the Dingle and I know them personally ...
No- one likes buying birth certs - but it may well be worth buying one of the certs of the twins
George and Sarah A to see if they are siblings of May Evans b 1912
allan

Offline giblet

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 20 April 13 07:23 BST (UK) »
Do you have information on Ellen who arrived in 1926? Just sometimes if you track a family member you stumble across other names in family notices etc.

Online garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 20 April 13 07:30 BST (UK) »
1905 Daniel Evans -Margaret Loughlin at St Peter  Liverpool  2122LP/100/378

Offline Daizee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 20 April 13 10:10 BST (UK) »
Garstonite – Thank you, you are correct about the twins both died at 3 months before the children went into Barnardos care where it is stated the maternal uncle and aunts were Samuel Loughlin, Christina Treblow and Ellen – I believe Elisabeth might belong to one of them.  Now it gets hazy for us - searching 1891 Census to William and Sarah A Loughlin are listed William 17, Ellen 16, Elizabeth 13, Christina 11, Maggie 5 and Samuel 2.  I puzzle was ‘Margaret’ (as it appears on May and Ellen’s Birth Certificates) infact ‘Maggie’.  We have no Certificates for Margaret yet - she married a Thomas James Edwards a Watchman from Liverpool following Daniel’s death at sea in 1921. Ellen was my beautiful Mum. Thanks all for helping to find May.