Author Topic: Frawley-Limerick  (Read 7889 times)

Offline johneowens

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Frawley - Rathkeale, Co. Limerick
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 17 July 14 16:48 BST (UK) »
My Frawleys are from the Rathkeale area of Co. Limerick. So far, I have got back to 1869, but am now stuck.

My wife's ggrandfather James Frawley married Anne Dinneen/Dineen at St. Mary's Catholic Church, Rathkeale, 6 August. Unfortunately, the records show no details of their parents. According to the church record, the marriage witnesses were James Quinn and Margaret O'Grady; the civil record shows witnesses as Mary Meany, Thomas Gartland, James Benett, Thomas Keefe, and Bridget Reardan (Vol. 15, p. 345).

James is shown as aged 57 in the 1901 Census in Blossom Hill, Rathkeale but is not listed in the 1911. Anne is not listed in either the 1901 or the 1911.

As far as I know, James and Anne had 4 or 5 children (James? b1871; Mary also 1871; John b1874 (my wife's grandfather), Jeremiah (1876-81), and Anne (b. 1879).

rootsireland.ie gave me 3 possible baptisms for James Frawley for the date given him by the 1901 Census:

1) 21 Dec 1841 at Rathkeale RC church (which would make him 59 not 57, in 1901); father: Michael and mother Jane Walsh (sponsors: David Madden and John O'Neill). A "John O'Neill" is also a sponsor for the baptisms at Rathkeale RC church of 2 of James and Anne's children. Also, another son. John, married Margaret Conway of Coolanoran, whose father Dennis married a Mary Walsh. Against these positives, none of our James' children is named Michael, this James' father.

2) 22 May 1843 at Adare RC chapel (which ties with his age in the 1901 Census); father: James and mother Cath. Kelly (sponsors: William Kelly and Cath. Kelly). Adare is only 4 mls from Blossom Hill and, in line with common practice at that time, the father is also named James. However, against these positives, contrary to common practice at that time, none of our James' children is named after this James' wife, Catherine.

3) 14 Feb 1842 at Rathkeale RC church; father: Tim and mother Cath. Moran (sponsors: John Moran and Mgt. Kelly). Of the 3, this is the least likely: contrary to common practice at that time, none of our James' children is named after this James' wife, Catherine.

Does anyone have any other information, please, that would help me identify one of these as my James' baptism/birth - or eliminate any one that is not?

Like other posters, I am aware that there is a multitude of Frawleys in County Limerick, most of whom lived outside Limerick City. So far, I have not found any connections whatsoever with Limerick City. My Frawleys seem to have lived in the Rathkeale, Croagh, Croom, Adare, Ardagh area of Co. Limerick

Any help would be most appreciated. In anticipation, many thanks and best wishes

John
Owens-Swansea/Wallasey/Garston,L’pool
Jones-Erbistock/Widnes
Allen-Tetsworth/Hoole/Runcorn/St.Helens/Iowa/Kansas/Nebraska
Yieveley/Yevily/Everley/Heviley-Little Ness,Salop/Oldbury/St Helens/Garston,L'pool
Davies-Holywell,Garston,L'pool
Ithel-Bagilt,Mold
Fletcher-Rainhill/Widnes
Hughes-Marchwiel,Bangor-Is-Coed,Denbs
Thomas-Oswestry, Salop/Liverpool
Cole-Cliffe Peppard/Lyneham, Wilts
Frawley-Rathkeale, Co. Limerick
Conway-Coolanoran,Co.Limerick
Dinneen-Ballingarry,Co. Limerick