Author Topic: Children's homes in Morpeth  (Read 18508 times)

Offline madmurph

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Children's homes in Morpeth
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 18 December 13 21:20 GMT (UK) »
I'm really just curious about the reasons children were in there, how they were treated and if they went to local schools, photos of the buildings too
Thank you
Alison
simpson-newcastle upon tyne
ritson-northumberland
clough-northumberland
stokoe-northumberland
o'hara-newcastle upon tyne
spence in ashington northumberland
porter-newcastle upon tyne

Offline Derek Smith

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 19 December 13 15:18 GMT (UK) »
I'm really just curious about the reasons children were in there, how they were treated and if they went to local schools, photos of the buildings too
Thank you
Alison
Hi. Children were in there for many different reasons. It was an assesment centre, to decide your future. I was fortunate as i just wouldnt go to school. Others just had parents who just couldnt care less. Some went onto netherton park, some fostered, some went to dene view until they were 18, some went to borstal. A lot of the staff were fab. A few a bit heavy handed who would give you a slap time to time. Very strict disciplin, with an on site school, set bedtimes, meal times, no sweets or snacks, uniform during the day. Looking back, it was very sad some of the cases that were in  there, especially when the mini bus took you home for the weekend as the unfortunate kids had no where to go and had to stay at the home, even at xmas, but a few of the staff were human and kind hearted and took those kids to there own home for the xmas. Still remember all the staff and most of the kids, boys and girls from all corners of northumberland and tyneside. Who did you know that was in there. I have no fotos but you can still view the home online thru estate agents web sites as home has recently been sold and converted. Why are you so curious about this specific home.

Offline owlet101

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 31 December 13 22:12 GMT (UK) »
Indeed there was three in Morpeth. Hillbrow Assessment and Observation Centre. (To give it its full title) on Bullers Green & Deneview and Overdale at Pottery Bank.

I lived in Hillbrow from 1982 to 1984 when the decision was made by NCC to close on cost grounds. As Derek had stated it was tough and yes/no sir regime. God help you if you were caught talking after lights out as you would be made to stand in a freezing cold bathroom.
Hillbrow when first built was a Millers Home. It was also a home for unmarried mother's. After the children's assessment center closed it became an old folks home for 5yrs before closing and being sold and converted into 2 homes to sell.

I was moved in 1984 to a home in Ponteland for 6 months and then when that closed transferred to Deneview. The overdale name was dropped and the place made into one big home. I remained there till I was 17 and then moved out to the big wide world.

There was abuses in both homes sexual and physical. It was covered up by the county council. You only need to Google operation rose and you will see what I mean. I do recall reading about it as it was in all the papers back in the early nineties.
Hope that helps.

Offline Derek Smith

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 01 January 14 09:53 GMT (UK) »
Indeed there was three in Morpeth. Hillbrow Assessment and Observation Centre. (To give it its full title) on Bullers Green & Deneview and Overdale at Pottery Bank.

I lived in Hillbrow from 1982 to 1984 when the decision was made by NCC to close on cost grounds. As Derek had stated it was tough and yes/no sir regime. God help you if you were caught talking after lights out as you would be made to stand in a freezing cold bathroom.
Hillbrow when first built was a Millers Home. It was also a home for unmarried mother's. After the children's assessment center closed it became an old folks home for 5yrs before closing and being sold and converted into 2 homes to sell.

I was moved in 1984 to a home in Ponteland for 6 months and then when that closed transferred to Deneview. The overdale name was dropped and the place made into one big home. I remained there till I was 17 and then moved out to the big wide world.

There was abuses in both homes sexual and physical. It was covered up by the county council. You only need to Google operation rose and you will see what I mean.  I do recall reading about it as it was in all the papers back in the early nineties.
Hope that helps.
Hi owlet 101. Glad to share thoughts with some that was as unfortunate as myself to be in there. What is your name as sounds like you were in there the same periods as me Jan 1981- June 1981 then Sept 1982- June 1983. As you stated, i also had many a long stand in the cold bathroom along with my partner in crime, (*). It was always Big nasty(*) who,d stand you there for god knows how long as i didnt have a watch.   Do you often think about what happened to the others that were in there as i do, ive tried to trace a few of the kids through face book with no success, but hope they all turned out ok, after all it was no fault of our own that we ended up there, we were kids, just unlucky, not bad kids or evil kids, just unlucky and had a raw deal in early life. Who can you remember there. Heres my memory of some.
(*)

(*) Moderator Comment:
Edited in accordance with RootsChat policy of not publishing details of living people here, or details of people who may still be living. This is to protect all concerned from spam, identity abuse, internet abuse, etc.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

Regards. Derek

Offline Jason Holborn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 13 May 14 22:00 BST (UK) »
Thank you
Alison
Hi. Children were in there for many different reasons. It was an assesment centre, to decide your future. I was fortunate as i just wouldnt go to school. Others just had parents who just couldnt care less. Some went onto netherton park, some fostered, some went to dene view until they were 18, some went to borstal. A lot of the staff were fab. A few a bit heavy handed who would give you a slap time to time. Very strict disciplin, with an on site school, set bedtimes, meal times, no sweets or snacks, uniform during the day. Looking back, it was very sad some of the cases that were in  there, especially when the mini bus took you home for the weekend as the unfortunate kids had no where to go and had to stay at the home, even at xmas, but a few of the staff were human and kind hearted and took those kids to there own home for the xmas. Still remember all the staff and most of the kids, boys and girls from all corners of northumberland and tyneside. Who did you know that was in there. I have no fotos but you can still view the home online thru estate agents web sites as home has recently been sold and converted. Why are you so curious about this specific home.

Offline Lorraine 1

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 03 July 14 18:29 BST (UK) »
Would really like to know anyone who worked or stayed in any of the homes during the 70's I had a few friends who came from some of the homes in morpeth
Alison
hI, Just read your query.i have knowledge of willbrow as was a "guest" there for 3 years 1981-1983. What is it you want to know.

Derek
Hillbrow or dene view are names I remember are they familiar to you, was the one on high stanners not an orphanage
Ali
Would really like to know anyone who worked or stayed in any of the homes during the 70's I had a few friends who came from some of the homes in morpeth
Alison
hI, Just read your query.i have knowledge of willbrow as was a "guest" there for 3 years 1981-1983. What is it you want to Derek

I was in Hillbrow about 1974 and was really close to some of the residents if anyone knows anything about them it would be appreciated
I am in touch with a lad who was in the home at this time and he really needs our help so if anyone can help please get in touch
Lorraine

Offline davey69

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 11 September 14 23:15 BST (UK) »
Hi I was placed in Hillbrow Assessment Centre  around the early 70s, was then moved on to a boys home just outside Darlington  County Durham, which is now closed.

Offline Yossarian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 12 September 14 01:53 BST (UK) »
This is Hillbrow in 2013. I don't know what its current purpose is.

Offline Jason Holborn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 16 September 14 20:26 BST (UK) »
Thank you
Alison
Hello! I was also in Hillbrow from 1981-82 with no weekend home visits until I was moved on to a home in Newcastle 1982-84. It was tough  in Hilbrow and strict but most of the staff were kind enough to me.