Author Topic: James Mehaffey from Co Antrim  (Read 4079 times)

Offline jimchelsea

• RootsChat Senior
  • Cosby
    • View Profile
Re: James Mehaffey from Co Antrim
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 24 April 13 11:48 BST (UK) »
Jacquie i cant thank you enough on behalf of my contact for the time and trouble you have took to find so much information! He will be delighted!  and thanks to Aghadowey as well.
regards
jim
Cosby s from Gilford and Banbridge areas pre 1890

Offline joeboy15

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 24 April 13 18:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Jacquie,,Im Joe mehaffey Jnr,,Just wish to thank all the team for your efforts In finding my Granddad James,,I would like to Know If James has any surviving offspring and If so what or how Is the best approach for making contact,,Assuming they wish to may I say,,
     Thanks again,,Joe mehaffey

Offline valeriec

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 24 April 13 18:30 BST (UK) »
You could try
www.canada411.ca
There are 2 Mahaffey's listed for Maple Ridge, BC

Offline joeboy15

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 24 April 13 20:03 BST (UK) »
How or where would I start to contact these people,,They are possible relations who might be like my familey and wondering  as to wether distant familey exists..Please advise..

Regards Joe mehaffey,,

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 25 April 13 01:14 BST (UK) »
You have a specific date of death for James in Victoria, BC.  Why not contact the library and see if they will look for an obituary for you - that would hopefully give you names of any children he may have had.  I included a link to the library - on the right hand side there is a big ASK NOW button that will either get you to an email contact or a live chat to ask your question
http://gvpl.ca/

http://bccfa.islandnet.com/bccfa-search.php
If you enter the surname Mahaffey in the above link you get a page of results.  There is an Elizabeth buried in Hatley and also in the same location a Ray L. - perhaps wife and son??
You can contact the cemetery or the contributing agency for details on the gravestone - How to contact the contributing agency is on the home page.

To use Canada 411 that Valeriec suggested you simply put in the last name of Mahaffey in the who box and in the where box limit it to British Columbia.  Contact information is either given as a mailing address and telephone number or simply a telephone number.  How you decide to contact someone would be what you feel comfortable doing.  Personally I would try and see if the library could find a published obituary as that might narrow possibilities for you.

Good luck

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 25 April 13 04:46 BST (UK) »
There was a short obituary in the newspaper for James Francis. Here's a link to it:
http://www.rootschat.com/links/0to7/

I would recommend verifying the information provided before contacting any family. The passenger list information seems to fit your James but the marriage to Elizabeth Kinney is still speculative until you can confirm who the parents of your James were.

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

Offline joeboy15

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 25 April 13 16:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Jaquie,I would be confident In saying we have the right James Mahaffey and that he Indeed Is my Grandfather,,His father according to the death cert was a Joseph Mahaffey and his Wife a Rosena jenkins,,The departure date to Canada fits In as does other factors,,My dad was called Joe, He's James son, and My sister has the middle name Rosena,,I also have a sister called Edith,,These all go hand In hand with names mentioned concerning James,,Im trying to see If there are any Mahaffeys On facebook In Victoria b.c
                        Thanks again,,Joe mehaffey

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 26 April 13 03:29 BST (UK) »
My dad was called Joe, He's James son, and My sister has the middle name Rosena,,I also have a sister called Edith,

It certainly helps when people name their children after their parents and other family members when trying to piece things together.

Good luck.

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

Offline Louttit of Canada

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 24 March 18 05:49 GMT (UK) »
I am James Daniel Louttits distant relative, if you need info reply to this message.