Author Topic: Brown's Family Bible  (Read 6100 times)

Offline Greggles

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Brown's Family Bible
« on: Monday 22 April 13 13:49 BST (UK) »
In the Will of my 4xGGrandfther, he left his two copies of his "Brown's Family Bibles" to one of his sons.  As this did not refer to a family name, does anyone know what a Brown's Family Bible is please?  Have had no success by "Googling" it.

Greggles

Offline maryjolam

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Brown's Family Bible
« Reply #1 on: Friday 11 October 13 04:00 BST (UK) »
Hi, Bibles were often referred to by the name of the person who wrote a commentary to the text. So you may well find that a Rev. Brown wrote notes etc explaining the text from his own point of view.
So, for example you may well find listings in bibles for sale online. Try googling this, I think it will reveal the mystery for you:
1845 Illustrated Family Bible with Notes by Reverend John Brown

Offline Greggles

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 11 October 13 07:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Maryjolam,

Many thanks for that lead.  Actually I glanced at that one previously and ignored it because of the "1845" since 4xGtGrandfather died in 1823.  How could I have such tunnel vision?  Certainly makes a lot of sense now that I have studied the various descriptions more closely.  Thanks again.

Offline maryjolam

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 11 October 13 22:58 BST (UK) »
Good Morning. You will find that Bibles were often printed in sets of 5000 ' by permission of her Majesty'. If they were popular they might be released over a period of time or republished, not with a new set of notes but perhaps with updated notes.
If you decide to buy one of these Brown's Bibles, don't be afraid to buy one in poorer condition than you'd like. Old Bibles repair and restore amazing well. There are lots of good binders around who can repair it for you.

Offline Greggles

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 18 October 13 22:56 BST (UK) »
Thanks for all the info.  Not intending to purchase but trying to establish whether or not the two bibles in question are still in existence. :(