Author Topic: Address lnformation - The FLATS  (Read 9236 times)

Offline thomaspatrick42

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Address lnformation - The FLATS
« on: Tuesday 23 April 13 21:01 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find information on "The Flats" in Clara, King's Co in the year 1901. Would any one have information as to what it is; is it a road, dwelling house or tenements etc? and does it still exist?
Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Tom

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Address lnformation - The FLATS
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 23 April 13 21:07 BST (UK) »
According to the 1901 Census Form B1 for the address, the Flats was a street in Clashawaun in the town of Clara.

see :  The Flats, Clara
          Form B1   (top right of the form)

Probably housing associated with the works
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline thomaspatrick42

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 23 April 13 21:18 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your quick response. Would you know how I would find out if this street still exists today? Thanks, Tom

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 23 April 13 21:36 BST (UK) »
I dont think it was a street as such, that's just the way the enumerator categorised it.  I think more likely flats for accommodation as part of the works. The 1911 listing is as just 'Flats'. Both building returns shows that most of the residences had two window in front and 3 rooms, with the roof described as 0 (zero) - so according to the column description 'Thatch, Wood or other perishable material'

No sign of anything by that name on the modern maps. Most the buildings in that area look different on the map.
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 23 April 13 21:48 BST (UK) »
The location of Clashawaun is just part of the townland, and seems to be just associated with the Jute plant. The Ball Alley to the south-east of the plant might suggest that the accommodation area was nearby, possibly the buildings that were immediately to the north at that time - i.e. to the east of the plant between the Railway and the main road.

The occupations for the employees would support the idea that these are accommodation for employees - most are listed with occupation that could be associated with the factory - Jute Factory Labourers, Jute Weavers, Jute Folders, General Worker in Factory, Jute Spinner, Factory Operator, Jute beaner etc - see : Occupants of The Flats-1901

plus some associated skills that might be required in a manufacturing plant e.g. Mechanic, a Timekeeper, Fire Man, Engine Driver, Clerks etc
My Surname Interests

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 24 April 13 06:35 BST (UK) »
The last page of form B1 in both the 1901 and 1911 census records (it's actually P5 of 6 in 1911) tells the story, after the individual houses, the last entry recorded is the Jute Factory, to me this suggests they were in immediate proximity, ie. factory worker houses.       

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 24 April 13 08:12 BST (UK) »
Might be worth keeping an eye out for the Alan Godfrey reprints of the 15 inch c1910 OSI maps, there seems to be one that covers Ferbane, Clara and Clashawaun that might be slightly later than the online OSI map.

My Surname Interests

Offline thomaspatrick42

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 25 April 13 14:05 BST (UK) »
Thanks to everyone who responded to my query. I appreciated your input. It greatly assists me.
Thanks, Tom

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 29 April 13 18:15 BST (UK) »
Might be worth keeping an eye out for the Alan Godfrey reprints of the 15 inch c1910 OSI maps, there seems to be one that covers Ferbane, Clara and Clashawaun that might be slightly later than the online OSI map.

just to update - I had a look at the Godfrey reprint map that I mentioned - looks to be the almost the same details as the 25" OSI map mentioned in the other thread - no specific mention of the Flats
My Surname Interests