Author Topic: Holland: Drowned Sea Captain’s Burial at Helvoet 1880  (Read 3990 times)

Offline Dauro

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Holland: Drowned Sea Captain’s Burial at Helvoet 1880
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 31 July 13 22:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Tillypeg,

I think this is Warren Wells.
We know the ship went down at 11.00 am. He was reported at Hellevoetsluis being dead three hours later at 1 o'clock in the afternoon.
A translation was sent to your email.

Dauro...

Offline Dauro

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 01 August 13 02:27 BST (UK) »
Tillypeg,

Warren was the only one who was picked up from the sea!
He was taken on board by a ship. Liebau and Meuldijk were probably part of the crew of that ship.

Warren was alive but sadly died on the way to Hellevoetsluis!

Dauro...

Offline tillypeg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 01 August 13 11:25 BST (UK) »
Dauro,

You have discovered some amazing articles and documents about Warren Wells, I am very grateful for your interest in my query and for sending everything to me over the last couple of days (and nights!)

It is very sad to learn that Warren probably died on board the rescue ship - so close to surviving...

With much appreciation for all your efforts,
Tillypeg

Offline Micknewby

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 11 July 18 19:41 BST (UK) »
Hello Tillypeg

I was researching Warren Wells and came across your post. He was my 2xgreat grandfather as well which makes us third cousins. His daughter Kate (or Catherine or Katherine) married Thomas Hawxwell in Whitby and one of their daughters, Mary Elizabeth (known as Lizzie) married my grandfather John Newby in Whitby in 1903. They moved to Middlesbrough soon after, although she did move back to Whitby at some point before returning to Middlesbrough.

Glad to have found you online

Michael

Offline tillypeg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 12 July 18 15:46 BST (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat, Michael.  I hope you found this thread interesting.  I was very grateful to all the help I received from Dauro.  He supplied me with some documents sourced in Holland recording what actually happened to our 2 x great grandfather Warren Wells.

I have quite a few notes about all the Hauxwells though probably nothing you haven't already found online.  I believe John & Lizzie Newby had 8 children, is that correct?  William Edward seems to have been born very shortly after their wedding.....the last child being born in 1920.  Sadly they lost 3 sons at a very young age.

I haven't found a positive date for the death of John Newby.  The 1911 census entry for Lizzie is quite ambiguous – she wrote Wife but it was crossed through and Head written, with Widow in the “Particulars as to Marriage” column in a different hand. I believe Lizzie died in 1961?  A contact through Genes Reunited a number of years ago gave me the date of 12 January at Stockton.

If you respond to my post here two more times, then I can send you a Personal Message through RootsChat (you need to have 3 posts before a PM can be sent or received) and I can tell you my connection with the Wells family.

Tillypeg

Offline Westoe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 12 July 18 20:45 BST (UK) »
My 2xgt grandfather Warren Wells drowned on the 14 November 1880 off the coast of Holland – somewhere near Goeree – and a newspaper article says that he was interred at Helvoet.  How can I find out if there is a headstone or a memorial?  ....

Also, the other 5 seamen appear in the “Register of Wages & Effects of Deceased Seamen” (BT153) but Warren Wells doesn’t – why would this be when the article states that he was the Captain and was identified by his engraved gold ring.

Hello Tillypeg,

Because he was a Master, not a Seaman, that's why.

I did look for you in one other place, BT 124, where his death might have been recorded, but no joy.

Cheers,
Westoe

Offline Westoe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 12 July 18 20:54 BST (UK) »
Warren would have been 56 years old at death, though the death certificate I have acquired does not state his age. 

Hello again, Tillypeg,

The death occurred in 1880 and you have him as 56 years old. Does that mean that the Warren Wells born Lewes, 1826, certificate # 79,465 is your man? If so, have you seen the two records for him in TNA file BT 124 which is free online?

Here is the link:
http://www.crewlist.org.uk/people/BT124masters?target=wells&SearchType=Exact&initial=warren&dob=&submit=search

Cheers,
Westoe

Offline tillypeg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 13 July 18 15:36 BST (UK) »
Westoe - many thanks for that link, I haven't seen that before although I do have the Mate's Certificate of Service.  Also, from BT113/8 the Register Ticket No. 14060 stating born 4 Aug 1824 & setting out his voyages. Also from BT114/21 Merchant Seamen which merely lists his name & ticket number. 

It's amazing what has turned up online over the last few years.  I once paid a sum of money to a "researcher" and they found hardly anything! 

The snipped image attached is one I also have, plus another similar one which states of Church St, Whitby (from FindMyPast).

Thanks for showing an interest, Westoe.

Offline Micknewby

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 08 December 18 18:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi tillypeg

Sorry about my very slow response. I have been unwell, but after surgery last month I feel much better. Yes, this thread is very interesting – I knew our 2 x great grandfather Warren was drowned but did not know the details. Dauro certainly filled those in for us. About my grandparents John and Lizzie, so far I have them with at least 10 children, 5 boys and 5 girls, with the possibility of one more boy. In fact, I had missed William Edward, so thank you for that. Four girls, the oldest and the three youngest, and only one boy (my father John Randle) survived to adulthood. The 1911 census entry for my Gran is very strange – she was certainly not a widow and had 6 children with John after that date. In the 1911 census, John was living in Davison Street Middlesbrough with Gran’s cousins: George and Hannah Raistrick (nee Wells), together with Kate and William Wells. She must have known that, so why she said she was a widow is a mystery.

Grandfather John died 8 Jan 1937 in Middlesbrough. Gran lived two doors from us in a terraced house for all my childhood. Yes, she died 12 January 1961 in Norton actually, but that will be recorded as part of Stockton.

Michael