Author Topic: Halpins of Wicklow, etc. - Part 4  (Read 71057 times)

Offline BillW

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Halpins of Wicklow, etc. - Part 4
« on: Thursday 25 April 13 00:55 BST (UK) »
For reasons unknown, I have not been receiving notification of posts since late Feb and thought the list had gone dormant.  Far from it, good to see.  I just logged on to record a piece of information on Capt William Halpin, which is minor by recent standards.

Peninsular Medal Roll 1793-1814. King's German Legion.  1st Light Dragoons.   Halpin, William, Paymr. 4 Clasps.  Sal. Vitt. Orthes. Toul. [The Battle of Salamanca was in July 1812, the Battle of Vitoria in June 1813, Battle of Orthez in February 1814, Toulouse April 1814 ].

All of William's fellow officers had German surnames.  He had the most clasps of the unit apart from one other.  The names of over 26,000 men are listed in the Peninsular Medal Roll.

Topic Split at 300 replies
Previous section :    Halpins of Wicklow - Part 3

Offline kenneth cooke

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Halpins of Wicklow, etc - Part 4
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 25 April 13 10:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Bill,
At last a voice in the wilderness after 25 days of silence. Must be a record for this topic.
Just by chance, I looked up something today, and found your reply No.5 of 23.8.2010:
'The birthdate of Nicholas Halpin of Portarlington has been estimated at about 1735'.
On 16 March I posted details of children of Mark Halpin/Halpen baptised in London, incl. a Nicholas
in 1726. There is a good chance that the Mark concerned is one of the Maryborough Halpens.
Three common factors would be Queens Co., the name Nicholas, and the similar birthdate.
Could Mark have returned to Ireland with his children after his wife died, and left them there ?
It's a lead worth following I believe, although I am not sure how to go about it.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Halpins of Wicklow, etc. - Part 4
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 25 April 13 10:46 BST (UK) »
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline BillW

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 03 May 13 00:11 BST (UK) »
Please note the links shown above to the preceding threads of our topic.  Thank you to our moderator Shane who has set us up to continue on our Halpin/Wicklow journey.   Somewhere in the last thread I made a rough estimate of the huge number of posts, possibly some sort of record on one family group.

There have been many sterling contributions this year alone, particularly lengthy and well researched efforts by Ronald (Bigbird), Ray and Ken.  The quality of our efforts are not diminishing and look set to continue, for which we are all grateful.

Offline BillW

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 03 May 13 00:48 BST (UK) »
My cousin Pamela Griffith and her husband Ross Griffith are visiting Ireland.  I understand they will be staying at Tinakilly House on the weekend of 25/26 May and may be meeting some of you.  Pamela and I are ggg-grandchildren of George Halpin senior.  Pamela is an esteemed artist and has a public website.  She will be hoping that time and weather combine to allow her to get some sketching done in beautiful Wicklow.

Going back to her and my Halpin descendant tree after some time, I have been struck by a couple of names and, as ever, wonder at the significance of some names.

George Halpin junior's sons (all baptised Villiers as previously told) were William Oswald, George, Robert and Alfred.  We have previously canvassed where William and Oswald may originate.   But ROBERT (b.1846) and ALFRED (1851)?  Junior had cousins named Robert, but why did his uncles William and James both choose Robert?  (James named two sons Robert after the first died.)

What part did Junior's wife Julia Villiers have in the naming.  Both William Oswald and George both relate back directly to the Halpin family, unless William was a name shared with her own Villiers family (frustratingly unknown so far).  But Robert and Alfred?

George the third was Pamela's and my ancestor.  He only had two sons.  Alfred came before his own son George.  His brother Alfred had died at the age of four when George had been twelve.  Perhaps this influenced naming his first son Alfred.  But also, was Alfred an important name in his mother's Villiers line?  It would be very good to discover.

There is also the intriguing repeating and distinctive female name, ANNIE CAROLINE.  She was junior and Julia's second daughter after Isabella Julia.  Thereafter Annie Caroline was used for the name of her own child and those of her sister Isabella Julia's daughter and her brother George's daughter.  Might these also have been in tribute to someone in her mother's Villiers family?

Offline kenneth cooke

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: NOTIFICATION OF NEW POSTS
« Reply #5 on: Friday 03 May 13 07:06 BST (UK) »
Bill,
Re your first post above, it seems that we are now required to log in regularly.
Each log-in lasts for 3600 minutes, which is 2.5 days.
I guess we'll just have to get used to checking every couple of days.
Ken

Offline Shanachai

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 03 May 13 20:34 BST (UK) »

The Wm. Halpin mentioned in the first deed here may not be the same as the one mentioned in the deeds below.  I've still one deed left to decipher, which has the potential to be very informative.

William Halpin/Thomas Penrose 601 39 407712

Indented lease bearing date 22nd August 1806 between William Halpin of the town and county of Wicklow and Thomas Penrose of [Brittas?], Wicklow County, Esquires, and Hannah Penrose, of Wicklow Town, Spinster...the deed deals with property adjoining Lawrence McCabe’s holding – bounded on the east by the Street’s Market Place, on the west by Lawrence McCabe’s holding, and on the north by the late Robert Bullock’s holding and on the south by the Earl of Meath’s holding...witnessed by George Hobbert and Samuel Bury, gents, both of the said town of Wicklow, and Wm Manifold.

William Halpin/Robert Kane 1846 5 299 (Note the last name mentioned)

Indented deed dated 12th January 1846 made between Edward Litton Esq [...?...] of the Masters of Her Majesty’s High Court of Chancery in Ireland, Edward Acton Gibbon of Sandymount, Dublin, Esquire, Sole assignee of the Estate and Effects of William Halpin, an insolvent debtor, James Gibbons of Ballingael, Westmeath, Esq., Godfrey Levinge of [?] in Tipperary and Edward Symes Bayley of Ballyarthur, Co. Wicklow, Esquire, Edmund Mooney, Henrietta Street, Dublin, Soliciter, and Robert Kane, Dublin, Esq.,...as a result of a decree and other proceedings in a Cause in the Court of Chancery wherin James Gibbons was plaintiff and E A Gibbon, Godfrey and E S Bayley were the defendants...in obedience to court decree Robert Kane deposited £5,950 in the Bank of Ireland and paid 10s to each defendant...with the approbation of E. Litton...with the consent and by the direction of Edmund Mooney...[and so on.  It mentions the town and lands of Glardree, Tulla, Co. Clare (1811)...transferred from Sir Joseph Peacock to Peter Purcell...]  Witnessed by Simon Henry Nolan of Henrietta Street, James William Middleton Berry of Seamingtow in Warwickshire, Esq., and James Kilkee/Kilbee of the Wooden Bridge Hotel, County Wicklow, Hotel Keeper.

William Halpin/J W O’Fallon 1847 8 22 [Note the last name.  I don't know if we've mentioned A. Halpin before.  Who could it be?  Male or female?] 

Memo of indenture dated 1st September 1840 between William Halpin of Castleforbes, County Dublin, Esquire, and James William O’Fallon of Blessington Street, Dublin, Esquire, Barrister, whereby after reciting that George Flood late of Cranagh [?], Co Roscommon, Esq., deceased, was in his lifetime and at his death seized in fee of all the town and lands of Cranagh...by a certain indented deed of Conveyance bearing date 28th May 1830 the said lands were conveyed unto William Halpin and his heirs...after further reciting that William Halpin had agreed to convey his right to title and interests in said lands etc unto James William O’Fallon...[for £20 Halpin sold the lands and interests of Cranagh – including mill and watercourse erected thereon with the dwelling office and demesne lands of Cranagh to O’Fallon]...Witnessed by James Leeson, Dublin, Clerk, and Tankerville W Chamberlain of Dublin, Esquire, Barrister...and by A. Halpin [Andrew Halpin?] of [elugus/augus/dugus] in the Kingdom of France.

William Halpin/Dunn 1848 21 32 (is Halpin attempting to generate cash?)

Indented lease dated 25 February 1839 between WH, Dublin, Esq., and Michael J Dunn of Amiens Street, Dublin, Builder.  Halpin let unto Dunne that parcel of land on the North Strand being part of Lot No. 50 measuring in front to West Road 72’, on south side to Sheriff Street 79’...and so forth – from this point on the deed simply outlines the dimensions of the lot in question.  Witnessed by John Joseph Clark, Lower Ormond Quay, Dublin, Solicitor, and “Cyprian Nial” of Phibsboro Avenue, Dublin, Clerk.

Offline BillW

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 04 May 13 00:50 BST (UK) »
Ray's quotation above of "A Halpin in the Kingdom of France" reminds me of the post on 14 Sep 2010 (perhaps at http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=476972.10 ) showing that on 22nd August 1851 a ship's captain declared aliens aboard his vessel from Calais
Name:  Halpin.  Quality/Profession:  Gent.   Country/Pays:  France
Perhaps this was the A Halpin recorded in the Deed.
[France had restored monarchies from 1815, became a republic again from early 1848 and the 2nd Empire from 1851/2.  Britain and Ireland may not have always honoured these changes.]

Offline BillW

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 06 May 13 23:21 BST (UK) »
I have been making efforts to see what exists by way of French genealogical sources in the 1840s/50s, trying to identify Halpins there, and not getting far.  One respondent however did wonder whether the "A. Halpin" could be in fact R. Halpin, meaning William Halpin's son Robert who had been born in France.  Just passing on this thought.  Another respondent wished to see an image of the illegible location in case it is recognisable to a Frenchman.