Author Topic: Halpins of Wicklow, etc. - Part 4  (Read 71053 times)

Offline Shanachai

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Halpins of Wicklow, etc. - Part 4
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 29 May 13 11:56 BST (UK) »

I've been sitting on this for a while.  Can anyone explain it to me?  Have I mistranscribed?

Marriage: William David Bradley, Hudercliff, Killiney; occupation: Esquire.

Mary Anne Isabella Halpin, 19 Northbrook Rd., Ranelagh -

19 April 1882.

Fathers: William George Halpin and N J Halpin.

Church: Leeson Park.

Source Irish Genealogy: Births, Marriages, Deaths.

Offline BillW

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 29 May 13 13:28 BST (UK) »
There must be a mistranscription because an image of the parish register entry is at that source, which is http://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/reels/d-708-3-1-047.pdf and the fathers are Bradley and Halpin.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 29 May 13 13:59 BST (UK) »
might be of interest re the Bradley/Halpin couple...

The name of the house of William David Bradley is actually 'Undercliff', in Killiney - see : here, and he appears to have died in April 1897.

18 to 28 Northbrook Rd. are listed as vacant in 1880, (possibly just built at that stage ?), and in 1884 it's listed as the address of Nicholas John Halpin, esq. A.B., T.C.D. Her Majesty's Customs
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Shanachai

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 29 May 13 15:25 BST (UK) »

Thanks Shane; thanks Bill - I've given the source to the marriage of Halpin and Bradley as Irish Genealogy.  But I also have a notice from the Dublin Evening Mail, which lists the two Halpins as fathers.  It must be a mistranscription.  My mistake.

Offline tompion

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 29 May 13 22:01 BST (UK) »
Thanks guys - yes, Undercliff, Killiney, belonged to my William George Bradley, the father of William David Bradley who married a Halpin. Nicholas John Halpin died at 19 Northbrook Road.

Found an interesting connection between Rev Robert Halpin, the Chaplain to the Forces, and my mother's family. Basically, the Rev Robert Halpin was a witness at the marriage of one of the aunts of my (Jeffreys) maternal grandfather and also conducted the marriage service for her sister. The further connection is that my grandfather then married a daughter of William David Bradley and Mary Ann Isabella Halpin. Probably completely incidental as my grandfather's Jeffreys family were all soldiers and the father of these Jeffreys girls was Barrack Master at Portobello and Robert was probably a good friend of the family - I don't think Robert Crawford Halpin and Nicholas John Halpin (the branch of Mary Ann Isabella Halpin) are connected?

Offline BillW

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 29 May 13 22:44 BST (UK) »
A couple of things Brian.   The personal connection of our Rev RC Halpin with yours is good to see.  He was for most of his time in Dublin, among other things, chaplain at Arbor Hill Barracks, where his own children were baptised.
As to where Nicholas John Halpin died (of the Custom House and father of Mary Anne Isabella Bradley), the Wills Calendar shows him as a "retired public servant of 5 Palmerston Road" (Rathmines), estate granted 11 Dec 1891 to his wife sole executrix.

Offline BillW

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 29 May 13 23:48 BST (UK) »
Found in Tinakilly House, a portrait of Captain Robert Charles Halpin dated 1886 and signed "Sydney Halpin".  Pamela has enquired at the National Gallery and made other investigations to no avail.  Was Sydney Halpin a local Wicklow artist?
The Captain had had an older sister named Sidney born 1826 who died before he was born.  George Halpin senior had a daughter named Sidney two years earlier in 1824, discovered by Tavern.  When George died in 1854, only two sons are known to have survived him, junior and Frederick.
Who was Sydney Halpin, artist, male or female, alive in 1886?

Offline Shanachai

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 29 May 13 23:57 BST (UK) »

N J Halpin was a member of the Dublin branch of the Constitution Club.  See here for a brief description of its purpose: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constitutional_Club

This deeply conservative organisation was vehemently opposed to Home Rule for Ireland.  N J Halpin's brother, Charles Greham Halpine, was very much in favour of Home Rule for Ireland.  In fact, he favoured complete independence.  In terms of political outlook, therefore, the older of the two brothers, Nicholas, took after his father - the Reverend N J Halpin.  The younger of the two brothers, Charles, was closer in outlook to his uncle, the journalist, satirist and bankrupt, William Henry Halpin.

There must have been some heated debates at the dinner table in that household.

Offline BillW

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 30 May 13 07:10 BST (UK) »
I have mentioned here before Richard Halpin, harbourmaster at Howth.  12 July 1859.  Letters of Administration of the Personal estate of Richard Halpin late of Howth in the County of Dublin Gentleman a Widower deceased who died 1 May 1855 at same place were granted at the Principal Registry to Edward Baker Giltenan of Spa Mount Belfast in the County of Antrim the Substitute of Adam M’Crory having an Interest in the estate of said deceased.  (Limited as therein mentioned.)  In the margin is handwritten “Coterorum Grant herein passed at Principal Registry April 1862”.  It seems he died without a will.

Subsequent entry for him.  5 April 1862. Effects under £25.  Letters of Administration of the rest of the personal estate of Richard Halpin late of Howth in the County of Dublin Surveyor of Customs deceased who died 30 April 1855 at same place were granted ... to MARIA BOND otherwise HALPIN (Wife of Joseph Bond Writing Clerk) of Alfred Lodge York-road Kingstown in the County of Dublin the Daughter one of the surviving next of kin of said deceased.  (Cæterorum Grant.  Former Grant Court of Probate 1859.)

Susannah Frances Halpin (wife of Dr Stopford Halpin of Arklow) late of 3 Adelaide Terrace Kingstown County Dublin Widow who died 29 November 1908 granted at Dublin to George NEWSOM Farmer.  Effects £765 7s 2d.  Newsom was married to her daughter Catherine Ann.

Her son, Stopford John Halpin, married Geraldine Anna BOND 1894 in Co Wicklow.  Geraldine’s parents were Richard Thomas Bond of Kiltoom Co Roscommon and Elizabeth Jane Wilton.  Stopford and Geraldine appear to have left behind their two children to leave for New York in 1903 and settling in Vancouver Canada.  In the 1901 Census they were living as a family at Legan (Moate, Westmeath) where Stopford aged 35 was a bank accountant, children Stopford Richard Arthur 5 and Loiuse Frances 2.

After they left, son Stopford died in 1908 in the Rathdown district (probably Kingstown) and in the 1911 Census, daughter Louisa Francis age 12 is living at her grandmother’s old residence, 3 Adelaide Terrace Kingstown, with her aunts Nannie Caldour and Violet Louise Halpin, along with her cousin, Elizabeth Francis (Bessie) Halpin 20, orphaned daughter of Dr Richard Frederick Bestall Halpin.  Louisa at some point went to her parents in Vancouver where she died in 1977.

Here we have intriguing coincidences.  Maria daughter of Richard Halpin of Howth had married a Joseph Bond and lived in Kingstown.   About this time, Geraldine Bond was born in Co Roscommon and later married Stopford John Halpin and their children lived with Stopford John’s mother and sisters in Kingstown.

Add to which, Mary Anne Halpin b.c. 1860 to Richard Mathews Halpin (brother of Dr Stopford William Halpin of Arklow) and Sarah Gregg married at St Annes COI Dublin in 1882 Henry Swinton BOND of 57 York Road Kingstown, son of Joseph Bond, Agent, (and unstated wife).  C E Bond signed as witness.  And remember that a Gregg was a close neighbour of Richard Halpin in Howth, father of the wife of a Joseph Bond. 

It appears to me that Henry Swinton Bond was a grandson of Richard Halpin of Howth and here he marries a daughter of Sarah Gregg, probably related to his grandfather's neighbour in Howth, and of a member of the family of the Wicklow Halpins, Richard Mathews Halpin.