Author Topic: Halpins of Wicklow, etc. - Part 4  (Read 71052 times)

Offline BillW

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Halpins of Wicklow, etc. - Part 4
« Reply #225 on: Thursday 07 December 17 06:20 GMT (UK) »
William Knapp.  Have a look at this online marriage record.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QS7-893H-49N1-X?i=2124&cc=1804002 and
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:K8NC-PBM
and note the name Knapp.
Nicholas and Emily are buried Arlington Cemetery, Emily lived to 102.
https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/49196379/nicholas-john-halpine#view-photo=121691617
I believe Nicholas was born in Uruguay, probably where his father was stationed, also in USN.  His father also buried at Arlington.
https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/49196380/nicholas-john_lane_trowbridge-halpine

Offline BillW

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: Sunday 10 December 17 04:59 GMT (UK) »
William Knapp's query sent me delving into descendants of Gen Charles Greham Halpine, 5th child and 3rd son of Rev Nicholas John Halpin and his wife Ann Greham.  All or most of his family remained in the USA, originally in Manhattan.  An extraordinary number of the sons and grandsons became US army or naval officers, and many are buried at Arlington National Cemetery.  There would be living descendants, at least one still named Halpine.  I attach a tree chart.
Bill

Offline BillW

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: Sunday 10 December 17 05:31 GMT (UK) »
Years ago we recorded in these pages that a daughter of Old Nick Halpin, school proprietor in Portarlington, by name of Mary Anne Halpin married in 1789 Thomas HILL, son of Thomas Hill.  Father and/or son were at varying times described as master builder or architect.  They had 3 reported children (no substantive records) presumably born after 1789
Nicholas Thomas Hill
William Halpin Hill
Mary Anne Hill (confused with her mother?).
It is also suggested that some or all of them went to Waterford (town or county I don't know).

For the record, I have extracted these entries from Alumni Dublinenses because of the mention of Queen's Co or Waterford.  There are many more Hill entries for Dublin that I have not extracted.  A William Hill and a George Hill were parties to the above couple's deed of marriage settlement.

Hill, Edward, Pen (P.T.) Jan 17 1834, aged 19; s of William, Clericus; b Waterford  BA Vern 1838
Hill, James, Pen (Mr Halpin) Dec 7 1801 aged 19; son of Thomas, Architectus; b Queen’s Co.  BA Vern 1806.  MA Nov 1832

I wonder if either of these may be cousins of the Nicholas John or William Henry Halpin families.

Offline GillyH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: Thursday 28 January 21 19:27 GMT (UK) »
Hello Halpin’s. I have not used a forum before so I hope you will bear with me. My name is Gill Halpin and I am married to Michael Halpin . My brother in law Richard Halpin advised us that he was told by his family when he was young that his father Leo Halpin (1903 -1970) was a descendant of Captain Robert Charles Halpin (1836 -1894) . I would like to see if this is the case but I do not know how to go about finding out. I stumbled on this forum and thought it would be a good place to start. I would greatly appreciate any help or advice from you incredible experts

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: Friday 29 January 21 09:15 GMT (UK) »

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Muckish the flat-topped mountain
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: Friday 29 January 21 09:32 GMT (UK) »
.......of Captain Robert Charles Halpin (1836 -1894).

Died 20th January 1894. Described as a deputy lieutenant.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1894/05978/4699973.pdf

KG

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: Friday 29 January 21 10:04 GMT (UK) »

Offline GillyH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: Friday 29 January 21 20:03 GMT (UK) »
I have read through all the pages Part 1 to Part 4. Looks like I need to sign up to other groups to work my way backwards . I would appreciate any guidance on this .  On a co-incidental note my maiden name was Bradley and I married a Halpin ...hope we are not distant relatives   :o

Offline BillW

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: Saturday 30 January 21 03:59 GMT (UK) »
Gilly, there are indeed Bradleys marrying Halpins, but about a century ago.
(William) Gordon Bradley 1884-1946 died Bray was born to William David Bradley and Marianne Isabella Halpin.  Marianne was a daughter of Nicholas John Halpin.  Gordon married Constance Marguerite Inman in 1912.
Then, Eliza Bradley born Booldurragh Co Carlow about 1831 married Dr George Halbert Halpin brother of Captain Robert Charles in 1859, died Wicklow 1887, 5 children.  She was the only daughter of Henry Bradley Esq, deceased at her marriage.