Author Topic: SHIP - WHITBY ABBEY at Gallipoli  (Read 11696 times)

Offline iwccc

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: SHIP - WHITBY ABBEY AT GALLIPOLI
« Reply #18 on: Monday 02 March 15 23:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cadmussloop,  Thanks for the information about Whitby Abbey.  Every little detail is of interest.  Much appreciated.

Offline iwccc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 28 March 15 12:01 GMT (UK) »
Just to continue my search.....Does anyone know if there is a map of the places the ships were anchored  at Gallipoli on 25th April?   I really want to know where the minesweeper Whitby Abbey was anchored - how close to shore - what area etc.
Any help would be much appreciated as I plan to visit the area in a few weeks time.  Thank you

Offline Researcher711

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 15 July 16 09:25 BST (UK) »
I am doing some research on behalf of someone whose grandfather also served on the Whitby Abbey, from Feb 1915 till 1918.  Does anyone know whether the ship's logs for March and April 1915 exist anywhere?  It looks as though the logs held at The National Archives start in May.
Also, I'm sure my friend would love to see iwccc's grandfather's diary, or be in touch with iwccc - is this possible?
Many thanks

Offline iwccc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 18 July 16 12:46 BST (UK) »
Hello from Australia,  Just to let you know I received your two requests and will be happy to help your research.  Unfortunately I cannot answer your questions immediately.  I will need a little time to look back into the information I have.  I am also going to be away. So, I probably won't be able to look at the information until towards the end of August.  Please have patience.  I'll do my best

Offline Researcher711

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 18 July 16 16:10 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for your reply.  Absolutely no hurry.  I was notified you'd sent a a PM, but I can't find it (perhaps because I don't understand how rootschat PM works)
Anyway, get back to me at your convenience
Thanks again
Ruth

Offline iwccc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 20 July 16 23:32 BST (UK) »
Hi, Have a few minutes so here are a few bits and pieces to start off with.  I spoke to my brother who is researching the Whitby Abbey in detail and he says that the ship used to run between Hull and Rotterdam as a Ferry for a Railway (probably the London Nor-Eastern )
Ian Hamilton - the commander of the battle was landed on W Beach from the Whitby Abby.  We don't know as yet who was the Commanding Office of the Whitby Abbey.  There seems to be Army evidence that suggests that the ship was close enough to shore to be hit by enemy fire.  My brother estimates that there would have been about 60 sailors on board (similar numbers to the Rodean)  My grandfather was Asst. Cooks Mate - no doubt he served the man you are researching some food!  Can you let me know the name of the sailor you are researching - will try and see if he is mentioned in my grandfathers diary.  Will try and get more information and re-read the diary at a later date.  Bye for now

Offline millymcb

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 29 July 16 15:02 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for your reply.  Absolutely no hurry.  I was notified you'd sent a a PM, but I can't find it (perhaps because I don't understand how rootschat PM works)
Anyway, get back to me at your convenience
Thanks again
Ruth

Hi Ruth

If you look at the brown bar above and click on MY MESSAGES you will see all the PM messages people have sent you.

You also get a notification when people reply to the post on this thread so if there is no Private Message it may just have been that

Milly
McBride (Monaghan, Manchester), Derbyshire (Bollington,Cheshire), Knight (Newcastle,Staffs), Smith (Chorley, Lancs & Ireland), Tipladay (Manchester & Yorkshire) ,Steadman (Madeley,Shropshire), Steele (Manchester,Glasgow), Parkinson (Wigan, Lancashire), Lovatt, Cornes & Turner (Staffs) Stott (Oldham, Lancs). All ended up Ardwick, Manchester
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jaggedblue

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 04 September 17 10:24 BST (UK) »
There was a merchant vessel named the Whitby Abbey landing landing craft at Gallipoli, that was captained by my Great Grandfather, James Whyte Harris. I was under the impression that it had been sunk but perhaps just damaged at the time. The bell from the ship is, I believe, still on display at Merchant Taylors' school, Northwood, UK where my father and grandfather attended. As far as I can tell this was the SS Whitby Abbey that served from 1915 to 1919 as the HMS Whitby Abbey doing minesweeping amongst other duties.

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 06 September 17 11:12 BST (UK) »
Going back to the post about the brigade HQ mentioned in the Royal Dublin Fusiliers (RDF) piece.

This was 86 Brigade of which the RDF were one component.  The Brigade war diary records on April 25th who was to land on which beach and goes on:

The Brigade staff were ordered to land at beach W.......After bombardment by the battleships the landing was begun in tows from HM Ships and Minesweepers.  The Mine Sweeper WHITBY ABBEY under Captain Townsend RN stood in to within a few hundred yards of the beach when she came under considerable fire.  Men were killed and wounded on board and in the boats alongside.  Brigade Headquarters landed from this vessel.

Beach W is shown on the attached map.

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia