Author Topic: SHIP - WHITBY ABBEY at Gallipoli  (Read 11669 times)

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: SHIP - WHITBY ABBEY AT GALLIPOLI
« Reply #36 on: Sunday 17 June 18 12:10 BST (UK) »
Thanks I'll look out for it.  Must say the NZ input to that campaign does often get a bit subsumed into the whole ANZAC thing, Pugsley redressing the balance I think.

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline Brendan Guy

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Tuesday 21 April 20 15:36 BST (UK) »
My great Uncle, a South African served on the ship. I have a picture of him with a few crew members and a painting of the ship obviously commissioned after the war on his return.

Moderator Comment: Email address removed to protect privacy.

Offline iwccc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Monday 27 April 20 12:57 BST (UK) »
Hello Brendan Guy, Thank you so much for sharing the photos and information of the Whitby Abbey.  I find it surprising that a South African was serving on the ship.  Which man is your great Uncle?  Do you know the name of the other two sailors?  My grandfather was a Cooks Mate on this ship at the landing of Gallipoli.  My brother is a naval historian and he will be thrilled to see the painting of the Whitby Abbey. He has collected lots of information on the ships in which our grandfather served.  I have in recent years met another family whose father served on this ship. They live close by to me in NSW Australia. As mentioned before we have our grandfathers diary of the landing at Gallipoli.  Do you have any other information about the Whitby Abbey?  With regards. Carol

Offline Eyepatchgirl

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: SHIP - WHITBY ABBEY at Gallipoli
« Reply #39 on: Wednesday 25 August 21 22:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Carol
I’ve recently stumbled across the Whitby Abbey when researching my husband’s family tree. It seems he has a great grandfather who was on board and to read of your relative’s diary entries is incredible! I don’t suppose there is any mentions of a James Boyce you have come across?