Author Topic: SHIP - WHITBY ABBEY at Gallipoli  (Read 11705 times)

Offline iwccc

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: SHIP - WHITBY ABBEY AT GALLIPOLI
« Reply #9 on: Monday 29 April 13 07:47 BST (UK) »
This is from family history.  We have his diary of the landing of Gallipoli and as far as I know this is a translation from that record.  I'm not too sure about the 'sinking' part of the story.  That is why I am trying to get more information.  He always told us that he had a couple of ships sunk from under him.  Thanks for your interest

Offline seaweed

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 29 April 13 07:55 BST (UK) »
If WHITBY ABBEY was sunk she must have been raised, repaired and given back to her owners after the war.
She was broken up by Hughs Bocklow at Blyth commencing 13/2/1936

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/displaycataloguedetails.asp?CATID=-8014784&CATLN=7&Highlight=%2CWHITBY%2CABBEY&accessmethod=0
Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 29 April 13 12:54 BST (UK) »
iwccc,
You are very lucky to have your grandfather's diary recording the events of the day. Have you actually read it yourself? I am only asking as you seem a little vague about the details, so if possible it would be good if you could either read it yourself or ask for a direct transcription from whoever has it in their possession. Maybe some of the details got a bit mixed up if the story was passed down a generation or two.  :)

Offline millymcb

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 29 April 13 13:23 BST (UK) »
There's a website here which says that Brigade Headquarters was on the Whitby Abbey
http://www.dublin-fusiliers.com/battaliions/1-batt/campaigns/1915-gallipoli.html

You would think that if the ship being used as Brigade headquarters was sunk then it would have been written about somewhere...although we don't know when he says it was sunk... so HQ could have been on another ship by then.

Milly
McBride (Monaghan, Manchester), Derbyshire (Bollington,Cheshire), Knight (Newcastle,Staffs), Smith (Chorley, Lancs & Ireland), Tipladay (Manchester & Yorkshire) ,Steadman (Madeley,Shropshire), Steele (Manchester,Glasgow), Parkinson (Wigan, Lancashire), Lovatt, Cornes & Turner (Staffs) Stott (Oldham, Lancs). All ended up Ardwick, Manchester
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline iwccc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 30 April 13 02:27 BST (UK) »
thanks for all the answers.  I have read the diary - although I admit it was some years ago. Maybe time to get possession again and re-read.  Maybe the ship was fired upon and it was another ship that sunk.  I will try and clarify this in coming weeks.  Thanks again.

Offline iwccc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 06 May 13 11:35 BST (UK) »
I now know that the Whitby Abbey was fired upon at Gallipoli but didn't sink.  I believe she also hit an unchartered reef - but didn't sink.  Also a German U Boat fired on them but missed.  I also am led to believe that the ships mascot - a goat - was killed by enemy fire.  Its stomach  contents revealed a lot of things that had been missing from the ship!?!?   
Are there any maps etc. that show where the ship was anchored?    Thanks for all the help

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 06 May 13 11:52 BST (UK) »
I also am led to believe that the ships mascot - a goat - was killed by enemy fire.  Its stomach  contents revealed a lot of things that had been missing from the ship!?!?   

That's the sort of detail you will never find in the history books.  ;D

Good that you have been able to clarify details regarding the ship.

Offline Cadmussloop

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 27 February 15 16:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I dont know if anyone is monitoring this thread, but if so I hope that the following is of use.

Naval History website indicates that HMS WHITBY ABBEY was a screw minesweeper. She was in collision with the paddle steamer Barry in Mudros bay on the 15th of August 1915.

I am editing the history of HMS Proserpine and she was based in Port Said at this time. Her logs report that HMS WHITBY ABBEY was towed into Port Said on the 11th of September 1915, went into dry dock there on the 18th, left dry dock on the 30th and sailed from Port Said on the 3rd of October 1915. Sadly no mention of a chef, a goat, or photos, but I hope that it clears up some of what happened to her.

The Naval History site casualties lists has at least two mentions of losses of crew men on board HMS WHITBY ABBEY, the last in 1918, but none around the time of the collision with the Barry. 

Hope this helps.

Cadmussloop

Offline millymcb

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 27 February 15 19:21 GMT (UK) »
Hello Cadmussloop ;D

Welcome to Rootschat. Thanks for posting...Please do stick around as we have lots of interesting chats going on here.

Milly
McBride (Monaghan, Manchester), Derbyshire (Bollington,Cheshire), Knight (Newcastle,Staffs), Smith (Chorley, Lancs & Ireland), Tipladay (Manchester & Yorkshire) ,Steadman (Madeley,Shropshire), Steele (Manchester,Glasgow), Parkinson (Wigan, Lancashire), Lovatt, Cornes & Turner (Staffs) Stott (Oldham, Lancs). All ended up Ardwick, Manchester
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk