Author Topic: Esther Stanton (Staunton), c. 1806  (Read 6662 times)

Offline staceywaspe

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Esther Stanton (Staunton), c. 1806
« on: Saturday 27 April 13 05:17 BST (UK) »
I'm looking for any information about Esther (Staunton?) Stanton, b. abt. 1806, married John Giles (Gyles) abt 1828, possibly Black Bourton, Oxfordshire. Based in Hendon, Middlesex from before 1841 Census. First child of marriage, Elizabeth Giles, born 1829, Ealing, Middlesex.

While I've found a possible marriage record in 1828 (source: IGI), I cannot find any trace of Esther's parents or siblings in Oxfordshire in any of the places she said she was born - Bampton, Elscole or Baleston. I thought "Elscole" could be "Alvescot", but I'm not sure.

Any information about any Stanton family in Oxfordshire around this time period would be helpful.

Cheers,
Stacey

Offline supermoussi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Esther Stanton (Staunton), c. 1806
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 27 April 13 08:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Stacey,

From the ofhs BB CD:-

Marriage Black Bourton 23 No 1828
                John GILES of Letcombe, Berks
                Esther STANTON (x)
                witnesses:- Wm STANTON (x), Charlotte SPERMAN (x)

There are also another 3 STANTON marriages namely, Elizabeth 1815, Martha 1815 & Sarah 1835.

There is also a single burial:-

7 Mar 1836 George STANTON age 79 yrs (i.e. born abt 1756)

No baptisms though.

I don't know anything about these STANTONs but if they are anything like the ones in NE Oxon they may have come from Worcs or Staffs. From the IGI there was a Martha STANTON d Geo & Ann baptised in St Mary, Stafford in 1797, which is perhaps a long shot, but note also that there was a Geo STANTON baptised in St Mary Stafford in 1754.

Why don't you try to track what happened to Elizabeth, Martha, Sarah & William to see what they say their birth date/places were?

Offline supermoussi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 27 April 13 12:47 BST (UK) »
Note that there was also a George STANTON baptised at Burford in 1756 so this is perhaps more likely to be the one buried at Blackbourton than the Stafford one.

Offline ribbo39

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 27 April 13 14:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Stacey,

Arising from Supermoussi's finding of the marriage of John Giles to Esther Stanton;
there is this baptism in Letcombe Regis;

Born 14-10-1804, Bapt. 21-10-1804 John Giles  s/o Francis & Elizabeth.

also for good measure there is this marriage;

18-1-1802 Francis Giles (x), otp  to
                Elizabeth Fortescue (x) otp
wit; Luke Pigott, clerk of the parish.

extracted from the  Letcombe Regis transcriptions on the Oxfordshire FHS CD (OXF-WAN01) with their permission.

hope this helps.

Alan
Browse, Peggs, Revans/Revance/Ribbans, Spall,   in Suffolk/Norfolk
Belcher, Elderfield, Froude, Saunders,  Stimson, Tame,   in Berks
Artis, Gray in Norfolk

Offline staceywaspe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 28 April 13 05:43 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the excellent replies! I'm not sure if the marriage in the IGI is the same as the one referenced by supermoussi, as the information is close, but not identical. However, as I know *my* John Giles was from Letcome Regis, that record is a better match than the one I'd found previously. I'll also research the witnesses and the other Stanton marriages as suggested. The baptism of John Giles was in the IGI, but I couldn't find the marriage of his parents. This marriage date date does match well with the birth dates of other possible children of Francis and Elizabeth, so that's a good lead as well. Thanks again!

Offline hs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 09 June 13 20:23 BST (UK) »
Hello Stacey
Sorry, can't help you but just thought would add.
My William STANTON was born according to census either Black Bourton or over the boarder at Alvescott. He married Jemima Roberts 1831 at Shipton under Wychwood, witness Thomas Hedges. then went on to live in Southgate, London.
As he was a minor at marriage he was born no earlier than 1810.

I have been stuck for over 12 years now with William and after seeing the above George mentioned at Burford may be a clue as the eldest I have for my William is George born about 1831 Longborough (mother's town). Then there is a gap to the next 1837 in Southgate.

I was thinking maybe the Stantons would have a Hedges and Maisey connection at Black Bourton, Brize norton, Langford areas.
I wonder if my William was witness to your Esther? will keep an eye out for her,

Hilary

The Elizabeth STANTON who married 1815 to Joseph Hedges was daughter of William Stanton and Martha Maisey.
The Martha STANTON who married 1815 to Robert MAISEY was also a daughter of William and Martha. Before she married she had a child Phoebe Stanton abt 1807.

Offline hs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 09 June 13 20:51 BST (UK) »

Hi Supermoussi,
was wondering - do you have the witnesses for those three marriages??
thanks so much
hilary

< There are also another 3 STANTON marriages namely, Elizabeth 1815, Martha 1815 & Sarah 1835. >

Offline supermoussi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 10 June 13 07:23 BST (UK) »
Martha 1815 - Edward ACRES x & Elizabeth ACRES x
Elizabeth 1815 - James MUSTY x & Mary BANBURY x
Sarah 1835 - Edmund GARDNER & Hannah AKERS x

Offline Neneithel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 30 August 15 13:27 BST (UK) »
I believe Esther Stanton is the same Esther or Hester Giles who became my 3x great grandmother.  Although I have been unable to work out which of the birthplaces she mentioned on censuses was hers, I do have information on her life after marrying John Giles.  She had the following children:

Elizabeth Giles (born 1829)
George Giles  (born 1831)
William Giles (born 1834)
Francis Giles (born 1836)
Sarah Giles (born 1838) who married Abraham Ottley and ran an alehouse called the Alma Arms which still exists in Navestock. 
Ann Giles (born 1840)
Thomas Giles (born 1842)
Mary Giles (born 1844)

Attaching a photograph of Sarah.