Author Topic: St. John the Baptist Church, Hereford  (Read 9177 times)

Offline diana2646

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: St. John the Baptist Church, Hereford
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 13 July 13 08:15 BST (UK) »
Hello Jean,

Thank you very much for all your hard work and searching for David.  I felt sure that he was going to be one of the Baptisms that you had in your notes.

I wondered if you could check your notes, and tell me if there were Whitney Baptisms for the 1750's and 1770's in Hereford please.  Also, could you possibly give me the names of the six parishes in Hereford.  I have got four of them, from the records which you sent me - St. Nicholas, All Saints, St. John the Baptist and St. Peters.

I know that people often didn't know their correct age in those days, so it can be a bit difficult, looking for births.  I will see if I can possibly organise a trip to Hereford and spend some time searching for my David.  The only other David that I had found on FindMyPast, as I said, was Baptised in Aberedw 1765, but I wasn't able to find any evidence of his moving to Hereford. 

Thank you for everything you have done, you have been very kind and it is very much appreciated.

Kind regards Diana

Whitney:South Wales/West Knoyle,Wiltshire/Melbury Abbas,Dorset. 
Feltham: West Knoyle,Wiltshire/Melbury Abbas,Dorset.
Whitney: Surrey, Kent.

Offline Jean of Hereford

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 13 July 13 10:29 BST (UK) »
hello Diana,

From my Surname Index to the BMBs in the Six Parishes of the City of Hereford, the other Whitney baptisms & burials were:

1750s
1750   burial   St Peters

1770s
1772   bap   St John the Baptist
1777   bap   St John the Baptist
1777   bur   St Nicholas
1778   bap   St John the Baptist
1778   bap   St Peters
1779   bur   St Nicholas
1779   bap   St Peters

The other two parishes were St Martins & St Owens. Although both church buildings were destroyed in the Civil War, the parishes continued to exist & separate parish registers were kept for the inhabitants of St Martins & for the inhabitants of St Owens.

The Hereford Record office will open again – for one week in August.

Although it is so annoying to have an opening of only one week in every month, it is certainly better than having total closure of the record office for 2 years or more.

When the record office is open again for one week in August, I will have a look at the 1750 & 1770s entries for Whitney. You just never know – mention of David Whitney might be found.

Jean Dobson of Hereford
13 July 2013.

Offline diana2646

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 13 July 13 11:31 BST (UK) »
Hello Jean,

Thank you very much for sending the information about the 1750's and 70's.  I notice that there is only one entry for the 1750's - a burial - I wonder if the two Whitney families you mentioned previously - William & Ann and Thomas & Ann, who all the Baptisms seem to apply to in the 1760's, could have come from elsewhere.

When you first posted, you mentioned Thomas Whitney who enrolled at the Bluecoat Charity School in 1790, and was he related to my Whitney family.  Can I ask why you were looking into this Thomas, or was it just coincidence?

Thank you so much for all your help and the offer to look up the 1750's and 70's Whitneys for me.  If there is ever anything I can do for you in North East Lincolnshire, please let me know.

Kind regards Diana

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 13 July 13 12:44 BST (UK) »
All I have read about the parish of St. John suggests that it existed for the lay people involved in the cathedral, but your marriage is clear and obvious.

In 1786 the entire west wing of the cathedral collapsed and extensive rebuilding started in 1788.
is it possible that your david was working on the rebuilding, hence the marriage there, but he could have come from a distance away, as could susan

Offline diana2646

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 13 July 13 15:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Mazi,  what you say is very interesting.  I did not know any of that.  As you say, it would be possible for David to have been working on the rebuilding of the west wing.  I know he was definately married in the parish of St. John, as I have a copy of the original parish register.  It did say on the marriage record, that they were both 'of this parish', but then I think you only had to live somewhere for a few weeks, for that to apply.
David moved to Orcop/St. Weonards after his marriage, as that is where his 4 children were baptised.  I only know that on his son David's second marriage cert, it said he was a labourer, and I, rightly or wrongly,  just assumed that it would be farm labourer.
Jean is very kindly checking the Hereford parishes for me, so if he doesn't turn up in any of those, it will be back to the drawing board.
Thanks for your interest.

Diana