Author Topic: Jardine links  (Read 11575 times)

Offline KAJ58

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Jardine links
« on: Saturday 27 April 13 09:09 BST (UK) »
I am trying to trace back from Andrew Jardine  (b 1836 in Annan) and his wife Elizabeth Harkness (b 1839 in Brydekirk) they were apparently 2nd or 3rd cousins. 

Andrews father was James Jardine (no confirmed birth date and place but maybe st mungo) and Elizabeth's mother was Janet Jardine b January 1812 in Canonbie -daughter of William Jardine and Elizabeth (maybe illegitimate).

I would appreciate any assistance prior to coming to Scotland later in the year.

Thanks

Dunblane, Dumfrieshire, Annan, Canonbie, Brydekirk: Jardine, Harkness, Jeffray or Jeffery;
Renfrewshire, Greenock, Glasgow and maybe Ireland: Strain or strain, Harkin or Harkins, McGuire
Rockhampton: Johnson; Pollard; Smith
Mackay: Pershouse, Harbottle; Dunkley; Pitman; Hannam, Hanham; Whiteford; Hadden; Hutchinson

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Jardine links
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 27 April 13 11:56 BST (UK) »
Good morning
Just got a couple of things that may interest you.
1851 census Scotland Brydekrik Dumfries School St
James Jardine 43 hand loom cotton weaver St Mungo Dumfires
Jean 49 born Annan
Robert 17 hand loom cotton weaver Annan
Andrew J 15 same Annan
Agnes 12
They are at the same place in 1841.
Ciderdrinker

Offline KAJ58

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 27 April 13 23:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Ciderdrinker,

Thanks - I found all the census stuff after they were married but there is some confusion apparently there are two James Jardines who married Jean/Jane/Janet Jeffrey/Jeffray.

I figure if Elizabeth Harkness and Andrew Jardine were 2nd or third cousins, as Ihave led to believe, if I get back in one line far enough I should be able to link the two "Jardine" sides of the family.

As we coming later in the year I would like to have as much research done so we can verify when we are there if possible.

Thanks
Kerry
Dunblane, Dumfrieshire, Annan, Canonbie, Brydekirk: Jardine, Harkness, Jeffray or Jeffery;
Renfrewshire, Greenock, Glasgow and maybe Ireland: Strain or strain, Harkin or Harkins, McGuire
Mackay: Pershouse, Harbottle; Dunkley; Pitman; Hannam, Hanham; Whiteford; Hadden; Hutchinson

Offline anne_p

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 27 April 13 23:24 BST (UK) »
I just wonder if there is a bit of confusion?

there are two Jardine/Jeffrey marriages in Dumfries but the women have different names.
1. James Jardine and HELEN Jeffrey. Banns in Torthorwald, Dumfries 29 Oct 1822
2. James Jardine and JANE Jeffrey .  Banns in Annan, Dumfries on 29 Oct 1829

The 1851 census posted by Ciderdrinker is almost definitely James and Jean as daughter Agnes matches to child baptised in Brydekirk on 16 Sep 1838
All children on census  were born after 1829 marriage

Offline KAJ58

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 28 April 13 03:46 BST (UK) »
Thanks Anne,

I also found Banns for I think James (funny writing JAS) Weaver at Brydekirk and Jane Jefray in the parish of Hoddam on 18 June 1829.

I have attached an image (I hope that is allowed) - I am not sure if this one is mine?  I am think it was Jeffrey because that is Andrews middle name - isn't that one of the naming conventions?

Kerry

Moderator comment - image cropped.

Offline Lilyalice

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 22 June 13 04:10 BST (UK) »
I have Joseph Jardine one of the Blackburn Poets.From Scotland to Blackburn short time in the United States and came back to Blackburn.Also on the Ferguson side Thomas Ferguson married a Mary Jardine both from Dumfries Scotland.They had to following children

Mary
Twins Tom, John Halliday my grandfather in Canada
Lizze
Tyre
Nelly
Frank
Joe
Molly
Robin and Jean living in Irving Place Blackburn 

Offline Poets Girl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 29 June 13 21:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Lillyalice,

Joseph Jardine was my great grandfather, he was born in 1849 in Union Street, Blackburn as were Elizabeth and Mary, his sisters. The Scottish connection comes from his father William Jardine of Annandale. If you have any information about the family going back from here it would be much appreciated.

Joseph visited America twice; the first time he married Mary Jane Bound in New Jersey. He then went back to Blackburn, then visited America again before returning to Blackburn and then moving to Annan, where he lived at Croftheads  Farm.

My grandfather was his eldest son William.

Offline Lilyalice

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 30 June 13 16:29 BST (UK) »
Poets Girl

Hi Lilyalice

It so wonderful hear from family. In the book there is photo of Joseph Jardine.I have sent your message to my Aunt Jean who working on the family trees.Her e-mail is *

Thanks
Lilyalice
(*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.

See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline Poets Girl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 30 June 13 18:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Lilyalice,

It is wonderful to hear from you too. I have been doing the family tree also and I am awash with birth, marriage and death certs ! Only started last year up until then had no idea what my Granddad,s name was, come a long way in short time. I think you must mean George Hull "Poets of Blackburn". Joseph was twice Provost of Annan too. His daughter Wilhemina Jardine married Ben Nicholson and lived in Gifford, Canada, go to the site The Reach . If you want to send a personal message use the Roots Chats P. M system, Great to hear from You ! !