Author Topic: John and Elizabeth Smith Whitwell  (Read 5302 times)

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
John and Elizabeth Smith Whitwell
« on: Monday 29 April 13 15:46 BST (UK) »
John and Elizabeth Smith ::)
John was baptised on 10 Sep 1798 in Langham Rutland
Elizabeth was baptised on 5 Oct 1798 in Cherry Orton, Huntingdonshire
They married on 17 Jul 1820 in Orton Waterville, Huntingdonshire

They set up home in Whitwell
I have found Elizabeth  in 1841 40yrs seamstress HO107 894 13 4 1 Whitwell Rutland and both in 1851 in HO107 2092 170 1 Whitwell Rutland, he was a cattle dealer

I haven't found them after this and to my knowledge they had 8 children the last born in 1838

I am looking for further census and/or burials for both of them

I have found several John Smith deaths in Oakham district 1852, 1855 1856 and 1858
and 3 Elizabeth Smith deaths in 1853 and x2 in 1860 however not sure which one if any are 'mine'

Difficult name to work with not only is it common but it is common in that village and surrounding villages, so any help would be appreciated
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline forte

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John and Elizabeth Smith Whitwell
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 16 June 13 21:22 BST (UK) »
Hello again
I've found the children of John & Elizabeth Smith b Whitwell - 10 altogether. Not sure if you have any of them but let me know & I can transcribe for you.
Have looked for bu of John & his wife to no avail.
I tracked their son Jeremiah up to 1911 - he did quite well for himself as a Fruit farmer - he was living on his own means by 1891 in Croydon. Do you have access to census - if so he is easy to trace.
I also found another son Frederick in 1911 as a Calf Dealer, widower with 2 daughters, a nephew and niece name of Vines.  Do you want these? Rather a lot to type if you already have them. I'll keep the details for a week or two pending your reply.

My family are related to Hibbits and Newbolds in Exton.
DEXTER-  pre 1800 Rutland & Lincolnshire
DAWSON -  Wymeswold Leics
HALL - Sheffield Yorkshire UK & Tasmania
MARSH- Willoughby on the Wolds
BLEWITT/BLUEITT/BLUITT mainly Grantham area

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 16 June 13 23:10 BST (UK) »
The 1856 death for John Smith - burial records show he was 68 so too old to be your John

March & December qtr 1852 were both children as was March qtr 1860

Re: Elizabeth

Burial dates April & August 1851 - aged 41 and 76
                  January & May 1853 -  both 62
                  February 1858   age 78

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 16 June 13 23:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Forte
I have 8 children for John and Elizabeth
Charles b 1823, Elizabeth b 1825, John b 1828, Edward b 1829 ( m. Sarah Clements) George  ( m Mary Freeman, then m Mary Bryan), Frederick ( m Alice ) Martha, Jeremiah b1838 (m Mary Thorne)

So I would love any information you have found and I no don't have access to the full census.
My family are related to Hibbits and Newbolds in Exton.
snap!

CaroleW, thank you for the ages, it really helps is the 9 really an 8? 
January & May 1953 -  both 62

Thank you both I have left this because it is Smith and each time I look I find so many and it gets confused and then I get frustrated and do another line instead, although I have researched ( mum) Elizabeth's line back which is interesting
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 16 June 13 23:44 BST (UK) »
is the 9 really an 8?

Sorry - yes it is - have amended it now
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 17 June 13 00:03 BST (UK) »
Thanks CaroleW it is so easy to type the wrong number, I guessed it was an 8 but needed to make sure.

Offline forte

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 17 June 13 15:00 BST (UK) »
Here are the children of John & Eliz Smith = all bp in Whitwell
Martha Gosford 20/10/1820  John Labr
Mary                 21/12/1821  John Lbr
Charles              27/12/1822  John Lbr
Elizabeth            1/3/1825      John Lbr & Pig Dealer
John                   3/8/1827     John Lbr &Pig Dealer
George                15/2/1829    John Pig Dealer
Frederick           29/6/1831       John  Pig Dealer & small farmer
Lavinia

Offline forte

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 17 June 13 15:26 BST (UK) »
Sorry dont know what happened, must have pressed a wrong key.
Continuing children of John & Elizabeth Smith
Lavinia  bp 19/4/1833  bu 2/10/1840 aged 7
Martha bp 16/11/1835
Jeremiah bp 21/4/1838.

Frederick stayed in Oakham as a Cattle Dealer and married Alice from Manton.
They dont appear to have had any children but had a niece and nephew Ada & William Bennett.

Jeremiah went first to Kent and then Croydon and married Mary Ann of Middlesex and became a Fruit farmer.
They appear only to have had one son Frederick Gosford Smith b 1881

I see you have given up on the Smiths fttb but now you have some other surnames you may be spurred on.
Happy hunting.

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 17 June 13 15:59 BST (UK) »
 Frederick stayed in Oakham as a Cattle Dealer and married Alice from Manton.
They dont appear to have had any children but had a niece and nephew Ada & William Bennett.

That answers another question, Alice was either Bennett or Clark

Jeremiah went first to Kent and then Croydon and married Mary Ann of Middlesex and became a Fruit farmer.
They appear only to have had one son Frederick Gosford Smith b 1881

Another help , he married Mary Thorne, so her middle name and Frederick G Smith gives me his middle name, which was his grandmothers surname

I see you have given up on the Smiths fttb but now you have some other surnames you may be spurred on.
Happy hunting.

Yes, it is a funny situation, RECORDS say they are my direct ancestors BUT Edward and Sarah married after their first son was born.......  Edward is on his birth cert and he was bap in Exton, but lived his life with his grandparents, changed his name to his mothers surname and his 'real' father I have found out (from personal letters) was his mothers sisters husband. This 'child' never acknowledged Edward as his father. His mum and Edward went on to have their children in Knossington, so official records say they are my direct ancestors, so I have researched his 'real' line but feel I need to also research the Smiths, as Edward/Sarah's children are ( in reality) his half siblings ( full siblings in official records)

Thank you it does give me more, including the early born children, and I suspect martha Gosford died as they had another Martha 15 years later, although of course she may have just left home.

Newbold is a direct line of mine from the Dalby line and Hibbitts marry into both Clements and Newbold lines