Author Topic: passenger list question  (Read 591 times)

Offline touchofmange

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
passenger list question
« on: Monday 29 April 13 17:01 BST (UK) »
hi
In the columns where you give your country of previous residence they have ticked 'British Possessions'. What does this mean?
I know the couple i'm tracing lived in australia, have got back to britain without me knowing how, possibly only as a vacation or on business, and now there is this passenger list back to melbourne.
Also for the trip out of australia might i be able to trace the outgoing passenger list somewhere?

thanks
Perry- wilts, sussex and hants
Bonieface- sussex
Maslen- Wilts
Barnett- Hants

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: passenger list question
« Reply #1 on: Monday 29 April 13 21:38 BST (UK) »
Hi

British Possessions - or Territory, of  "The British Empire"  of which,  Australia was one.

There's a wee map on this page showing the empire @ 1897, which is interesting as an overview!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Territorial_evolution_of_the_British_Empire

On the  pasenger list of their return to Melbourne, the tick is most likely indicating they have not been residing out of Australia, but have been on 'holiday' or a brief trip and are returning to their permanent residence, in Australia. It could mean however, that they had been permanently living in another Territory country (eg: New Zealand, Canada - just to illustrate)  prior to their return to Australia.

A lot of the advise we may be able to give you, will depend on when this was happening.

Some chatters may also have access to information not found online, and can only help if they know who you're looking for (as long as it doesn't publiclly identify people who are still or who may be, still living)

Cheers
AMBLY
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)