Author Topic: Germans living in Pembroke in 1851  (Read 5728 times)

Offline gilliankelley

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Germans living in Pembroke in 1851
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 31 May 15 14:00 BST (UK) »
I have recently done some more research on the Brickells in Wales.  John Brickell, who married Elizabeth Micle and was the father of Abigail, was the son of Henry Brickell, born about 1792 in Germany.  Henry started a new family with Elizabeth Schimpf, also born in Germany, but John must have been from his first marriage.  John had a son, Henry, who died at the age of 2 of smallpox.  Henry the father didn't marry Elizabeth Schimpf until 1854, although they had a large family before then, so I assume that he had left his first wife in Germany and simply started a new life in Wales.  John must have come with him or joined him later.  I can't get any further with precisely where they came from in Germany, but a number of things point to Hessen and more specifically to the area of Frankfurt am Main.  Have you found out anything else in the meantime?

Offline brickb

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 04 June 15 17:21 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your information on the Brickells in Wales.My great great grandfather was John or Johann Brickle or Brikle and he died in Pembroke in Sep 1892. He was married to Elizabeth Michael (Mickle) who died in Feb 1899 in Pembroke.
They had 7 children: Abigail, Elizabeth, Catherine, William,John (my great grandfather), Ann and Mary.
Before moving to Pembroke John, Elzabeth and Abiigail were living in a lodging house in Llanelly at the time of the 1841 census but Abigail was born in Merthyr Tydfil on April 1, 1840.
I have looked on familysearch.org at German Births and deaths and found a Johan Brikle born May 9, 1814 in Herbolzheim (A. Emmendingen) Freburg, Baden, Germany. His father's name is Johann Brikle and his mothers name is Theresia Schmidt. There is no death information for Johann Brikle (Could this be because he died in Pembroke)
I also found an Elizabeth Mickle born in the same are in Oct 18, 1819.
I do not know what you think about my information and how it compares with your information?
I would also be interested to know about your interest on the Brickles of Wales?
I do not know why John Brickle would go to Merthyr Tydfil where Abigail was born and then on to Llanelly wher he was in 1841 and then on to Pembroke in 1851. It seems that he was a musician or fiddler during this period.
Anyway I would welcome any more information that you have? Best of luck

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Griffiths Jnr c1914, HMS Achilles
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 04 June 15 18:17 BST (UK) »
Could there be some connection with the Kings German Legion in the Napoleonic Wars. King George III was Elector of Hanover 1760 to 1815, then His Hanoverian Majesty, as well as His Brittanic Majesty, until his death in 1820.

King George IV (1820 - 1830) and William IV (1830 - 1837) were also King's of Hanover. 
Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.