Author Topic: COATS family representing COATS cotton Co in Russia in late 1800s  (Read 14832 times)

Offline NSWelshwoman

• RootsChat Extra
  • Eternal optimist!
    • View Profile
COATS family representing COATS cotton Co in Russia in late 1800s
« on: Wednesday 01 May 13 07:36 BST (UK) »
I would much appreciate any help in identifying which COATs family might have been - as representative of the Coats Cotton company - in St Petersburg, Russia in the late 1800s.  I have an ancestor who was married to LORNA COATS, who I understand was the 2nd daughter of this Coats family Representative. I gather she is buried in St Petersburg and was probably married there, but  I assume she was born in Scotland - probably Renfrewshire or Lanarkshire as this is where the Company had its base. Any help in finding further information about this lady much appreciated.  NSWelshwoman

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: COATS family representing COATS cotton Co in Russia in late 1800s
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 01 May 13 22:49 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

Do you have a rough idea of when Lorna was born? I have used Scotlands People website to do a search of the Statutory Births 1855 - 2012 and found only 1 Lorna Coats registered in Scotland during all those years! But the date of birth of this person was recent enough that the person could more than likely still be alive so I would assume this is not the lady you seek information on.

So perhaps Lorna was not the forename on her birth registration (if she was born in Scotland)??

Looby

Offline NSWelshwoman

• RootsChat Extra
  • Eternal optimist!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 01 May 13 23:06 BST (UK) »
Thank you Loobylooayr for this help - I  know Lorna died in 1895 and her husband was born in 1848. Beyond that I can only surmise when she might have been born.  I could not find her in the English records either. I have also just checked if Lorna might be an abbreviated name for some other name but have got nowhere there either.  So I guess either Lorna was not her first name - as you suggest - or she was born somewhere else.  Thank you again,  NSWelshwoman

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 02 May 13 08:19 BST (UK) »
Hi

I don't think the name Lorna was in existence in the period you are looking at  :-\ The male form, Lorn(e) was, see www.whatsinaname.net/php/search.php?action=search2&search_name=lorna  There are though a couple of girls showing in earlier censuses with their first name down as Lorne for example (none with the surname Coats though).

What is the source for the name Lorna Coats connected to your ancestor? What was his name?

A little here for background: www.renfrewshire.gov.uk/webcontent/home/services/leisure+and+culture/heritage+and+local+history/els-pl-sirpetercoatsandsirthomascoats

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 02 May 13 08:36 BST (UK) »
Hi again,

Did Lorna and her husband marry in Russia? And what was her husband's name?
From the little I have gleaned from the internet J&P Coats's business interests in Russia only began in the late 1880's, so it's highly improbable that she was born there.
If she had any children it would be a good idea to look at their names as a clue to her parentage (I realise you may have already done this....I'm just keying in my thoughts :D).

Came across this when I was browsing
http://textline.wordpress.com/2009/08/19/in-memory-of-janet-coats-90th-anniversary-of-scotlands-oldest-literary-prize/
thought it might be of interest.

Looby

Offline NSWelshwoman

• RootsChat Extra
  • Eternal optimist!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 02 May 13 10:10 BST (UK) »
Thank you again Loobyloo and also Monica. The information I have about Lorna Coats is through a family member who knew as a child, Lorna's husband John Epps. John and Lorna had no children & married in St Petersburg, I understand.  Your Coats "blog" Loobyloo, that included discussion about the children of Thomas Coats, had quite a resonance with what I know of John and Lorna. Like Janet Coats/Black, Lorna may have married when she was too old to have children - John was probably in his 40s when they married. Also husband John was a teacher/professor of English - so here is a literary connection also.  The time frame of the births of Thomas' children are about the right time frame and father Thomas being a textile engineer, could feasibly have been the Company Representative while the Company was starting up in Russia.  So this family is looking  at least a little prospective. Is it possible to find out what the second daughter in this family might be called? I will also reply to the blog and see if that throws up any answers. Thanks so much for your help. NSWelshwoman

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 02 May 13 10:33 BST (UK) »
At least two Ancestry trees give the children of Thomas Coats & Margaret Glen- is this the family you think 'Lorna' might belong to?

Daughters names/dates don't match-
Janet (1864-1918)
Catherine (1851-1928)
Margaet (1858-1946)
Jane (1859-1931) duplicated as Jeannie (1860-1931)
Lilian (1865-1954)
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 02 May 13 10:37 BST (UK) »
Is this the same John Epps who taught the Romanov children from 1904-c1918 (or 1904-1908)?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline NSWelshwoman

• RootsChat Extra
  • Eternal optimist!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 02 May 13 10:46 BST (UK) »
Yes Aghadowey, it is and thank you for those daughters of Thomas Coats - tho as you say, none of them match - names or dates. So much for that idea but thanks for looking.