Author Topic: On This Day in May........Tell us about your ancestors' anniversaries  (Read 37425 times)

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
On This Day in May........Tell us about your ancestors' anniversaries
« on: Wednesday 01 May 13 09:17 BST (UK) »
Gosh, I nearly forgot to make a new thread..... Thanks to Nanny Jan for the reminder.

I hope the regulars continue to post their ancestral BMDs and that we will have some new people joining in.

Only one for me today - In 1857, John MacIntosh Shaw was born in Nairn. he was my 2 x great uncle.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

ESS: Howe French Cant Annis Noakes Turner Marshall Makerow Duck Spurden Harmony
SCT: Howe Shaw Raitt Milne Forsyth Birnie Crichton Duncan McBeath Daniel Hay Robertson Jaffrey Smith McDonald Alexander Craighead
NRY: Bushby Smith Bland Iley Cunion Kendrew Thornbury Favell Lonsdale Crossland Rudd Pratt Gibson
WES; Dickenson Jackson Ewbank Waller
STS: White
SRY: Knight
DUR: Smith Littlefair
HAM: Williams Grose Lush Venson

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
Re: On This Day in May........Tell us about your ancestors' anniversaries
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 01 May 13 09:26 BST (UK) »
Thanks!

Born today my uncle, John Henry Howard, in 1925 in Kensington son of John Frederick Bernard and Mary Johanna (nee Kingsman).  He was their 2nd child but sadly died in December 1925 about a week before the 4th birthday of his sister. He is buried in the Kensington & Chelsea cemetery.
My grandpa always remembered his birthday but my grandma could never talk about him.  :'(   They had no more children.
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline quest40

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 01 May 13 09:57 BST (UK) »
On 1st May 1849 my 2 x great uncle, John Conquest, was born in Blunham, Bedfordshire. Sadly, he died in 1855, just about a month before the birth of his brother, also named John.

A hundred years later, my dear brother and sister, Robert and Margaret (twins) were born in Edmonton, London.
Conquest, Crowsley, Giovannelli, Kingham, Marshall, Sewell, Wilson, Ashwell

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 01 May 13 15:30 BST (UK) »
Fairly quiet day for me today.

On 1st May
John Gilchrist and Sarah Manning my 3 x g.grandparents married at St Botolph’s Church, Boston, Lincolnshire in 1826.  They only had 2 children, my 2 x g.grandmother and her brother, before Sarah died.  John remarried 13 months later and had 2 more children, but he outlived that wife too, although she did live for 35 years following their marriage.

Samuel Pemberton my g.g.uncle married Charlotte Griffin in Massachussetss, USA in 1879.  She was the 2nd of his 3 wives. 

John Bayldon my 8 x g.grandfather was buried Huddersfield, Yorkshire in 1638.  Looking at the parish records there are various spellings of the family name, which hasn’t helped with my research.

Charles Hardy my husband’s g.grandfather was buried at Christ Church, Denton, Lancashire in 1900

Mary Benson (nee Skelton) was buried in Wigton, Cumberland in 1824.  She was 79 and had outlived her husband by 7 years, although he was 11  years older than her and was  83 when he died.

Offline stonechat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 02 May 13 07:04 BST (UK) »
On this day in 1906, Sophia Clarke nee Wyman was buried in Oundle in 1906 - (don't have the death cert)

Sophia was born in Oundle in West Street in 1828 to George Wyman, a wheelwright, and Mary (nee Swain) who was originally from Wellington in SOmerset

Sophia married Staffurth Clarke on Christmas Eve 1850 in OUndle.
Staffurth Like his brothers, had started watchmaking, and seemed to take over the Beale watchmakers shop in the Market Place. Over the years the shop moved a little but it's final locaiton is now a fish and chip shop in the Market Place.

They had 11 children.
Staffurth died in 1887, (avoiding a chancery dispute that had arisen over his uncle John Clarke's will).

Staffurth's unmarried son George Wyman Clarke continued with the business, and Sophia died in 1906
Douglas, Varnden, Joy(i)ce Surrey, Clarke Northants/Hunts, Pullen Worcs/Herefords, Holmes Birmingham/USA/Canada/Australia, Jackson Cheshire/Yorkshire, Lomas Cheshire, Lee Yorkshire, Cocks Lancashire, Leah Cheshire, Cook Yorkshire, Catlow Lancashire
See my website http://www.cotswan.com

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 02 May 13 09:04 BST (UK) »
Born today in 1793 in Stepney, my 4x gt.uncle, Charles Ottley;  son of Marmaduke and Mary.   He was baptised the following month at St. Dunstan, Stepney.  Marmaduke's occupation shown as mast maker.  I have a possible sighting of Charles on 1841 census in Kensington, with a Mary Ottley of an age who could have been his mother, (I have Marmaduke's burial in 1827) but after that......nothing.
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,

Offline genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 02 May 13 10:02 BST (UK) »
In 1818 Barbara Birnie, 4 x ga, was born in Strichen, Aberdeenshire

1870, Catherine Shaw, great grandmother, was born in Nairn.

1882, Robert Raitt, 1st cousin x3, born, Old Machar.

And in 1951, I was born in Middlesborough at 103, Borough Road, my grandparents' house. Happy Birthday to me. ;D
I'm off to celebrate, as always, at Upton upon Severn Folk Festival, so won't be posting here until Monday.

Therefore, I will just mention that tomorrow in 1925, my uncle was born in Aberdeen. Peter Grant Howe, dad's younger brother, tragically killed at the age of sixteen because he lied about his age in order to join the navy in WW2. So sad.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

ESS: Howe French Cant Annis Noakes Turner Marshall Makerow Duck Spurden Harmony
SCT: Howe Shaw Raitt Milne Forsyth Birnie Crichton Duncan McBeath Daniel Hay Robertson Jaffrey Smith McDonald Alexander Craighead
NRY: Bushby Smith Bland Iley Cunion Kendrew Thornbury Favell Lonsdale Crossland Rudd Pratt Gibson
WES; Dickenson Jackson Ewbank Waller
STS: White
SRY: Knight
DUR: Smith Littlefair
HAM: Williams Grose Lush Venson

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 02 May 13 12:04 BST (UK) »

Happy Birthday Jen!  Enjoy the festival.  :)

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 02 May 13 12:17 BST (UK) »
On 2nd May
George Reuben Mumby my 2 x g.grandfather married Betsy Steele a 37 year old widow at St Matthew’s Parish Church, Hull, Yorkshire in 1881, 3 years after the death of his first wife, my 2 x g.grandmother.  He was aged 63 at the time and it looks as though she had been his housekeeper, although on the 1881 census, she was living at his address and worked as a dressmaker, so she could just have been a lodger.  She also had a 12 year old daughter with her.

Martha Mumby my g.g.aunt (and daughter of George Reuben Mumby above) married George Howes at Holy Trinity Church, Hull in 1868.

Phebey Pemberton (nee Hall) my 5 x g.grandmother married Samuel Lowndes in Great Budworth, Cheshire in 1779.  She was previously married to Joseph Pemberton, my 5 x g.grandfather with whom she had 7 children, the last one in October 1763.  I can’t find a death for Joseph between 1763 and 1779, so I don’t know what happened to him.

Alice Ann Brand my 1st cousin twice removed was born in Manchester in 1877.  She never married and died in 1950 in Blackpool, Lancs.

Frances Stanton my 5 x g.g.aunt was baptised in Rippingale, Lincolnshire in 1749

Catherine Dyke (nee Manton) my husband’s 4 x g.grandmother was baptised in Long Itchington, Warwickshire in 1765

Elizabeth Pake (nee Uffindel) was baptised at Holy Trinity Church, Haddenham, Cambridgeshire in 1733

William Bayldon my 7 x g.g.uncle was baptised in Kirkburton, Huddersfield, Yorkshire in 1627.  Unfortunately he died just under a year later on 7 April 1628 aged 11 months.

Sarah Howard (nee Harper) my husband’s 3 x g.grandmother died at 76 Gill Street, Liverpool in  1870.  She was 74 and the cause of death was given as senile decay.  (She’s almost related to Catherine Dyke above, being her 2 x g.grandaughter’s husband’s 3 x g.grandmother)  ::)

Sarah Whittaker my husband’s 2 x g.g.aunt was buried at Hatherlow Congregational Church, Hatherlow, Stockport, Cheshire in 1816.  (She was almost related to Sarah Howard too – being Sarah Harper’s 2 x g.granddaughter’s husband’s g.g.aunt), not that she would have known about it as when she died she was only 11.

Ann Collett (nee Flint) my 3 x g.grandmother was buried at St Peter & St Paul’s Church, Fressingfield, Suffolk in 1837.  She was aged 71.  Her husband William Collett went to live with his youngest daughter.  Unfortunately, she died from TB and so William went to live in a workhouse where he died 9 years after his wife, aged 87 .

William John Brand Lynch my 1st cousin twice removed was buried in Southern Cemetery, Manchester in 1942.

Deborah Wane (nee Fleming) my 6 x g.grandmother was buried at St Cuthbert’s Church, Aldingham, Lancashire in  1780