Author Topic: On This Day in May........Tell us about your ancestors' anniversaries  (Read 37224 times)

Offline stonechat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: On This Day in May........Tell us about your ancestors' anniversaries
« Reply #153 on: Friday 31 May 13 07:06 BST (UK) »
On this day my 10x great grandfather William Turner was buried at Bredbury in Cheshire.
He was son of Thomas Turner (known by Thomas's will but no birth date known)

HIs father left I give and bequethe unto William Turner my sonne all my husbandrye ware

so perhaps William was a husbandman like his father
Douglas, Varnden, Joy(i)ce Surrey, Clarke Northants/Hunts, Pullen Worcs/Herefords, Holmes Birmingham/USA/Canada/Australia, Jackson Cheshire/Yorkshire, Lomas Cheshire, Lee Yorkshire, Cocks Lancashire, Leah Cheshire, Cook Yorkshire, Catlow Lancashire
See my website http://www.cotswan.com

Offline Marmalady

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: Friday 31 May 13 09:16 BST (UK) »
In 1923 my 2xG Aunt Kathleen Ann Watson died age 72 at Weedon Bec Northants. She was the daughter of Noah Watson & Mary Ann Clark and had been married twice -- first to Thomas Tarry with whom she had one daughter and later to Frederick Wells Cotman with whom she had two sons and a daughter.
Wainwright - Yorkshire
Whitney - Herefordshire
Watson -  Northamptonshire
Trant - Yorkshire
Helps - all
Needham - Derbyshire
Waterhouse - Derbyshire
Northing - all

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: Friday 31 May 13 11:43 BST (UK) »
On 31 May
Arthur Whittaker my husband’s father was born at 25 York Road, Denton, Lancashire in 1906.  He died in 1963 a few weeks after his 57th birthday from Congestive Heart Failure and Coronary Thrombosis.  All his ancestors and his siblings were hatters in Denton, as was his first wife, who died aged 29.  However, he bucked the family trend by becoming firstly a grocer’s assistant, then with his 2nd wife (my husband’s mother) a greengrocer, then he ran a local post office, finally after the war he set up in business as a builder with his friend  who was a carpenter and joiner.

Herbert Hanley my 1st cousin twice removed was born in Manchester in 1880

Gertrude Mary Singline my 2nd cousin twice removed was born in Falmouth, Tasmania in 1891

Ann Day (nee Isaac) my 4 x g.grandmother was baptised at St Peter and St Paul Church, Osbournby, Lincolnshire in 1747

Agnes Milnes my 8 x g.g.aunt was baptised at Dewsbury, Yorkshire in 1592.  She was the first of 9 children of my 9 x g.grandparents’ marriage, but I cannot find her mother’s maiden name as mother’s names are not shown on baptismal records that early – didn’t mothers have anything to do with the birth in those days?  ::)  There is a death record for her mother but, of course, it doesn't give her maiden name.

Online genjen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: Friday 31 May 13 20:54 BST (UK) »
I have nothing to report today. :(

But as it is the last day of May, here is a link to the new month's thread......

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,648895.new.html#new

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

ESS: Howe French Cant Annis Noakes Turner Marshall Makerow Duck Spurden Harmony
SCT: Howe Shaw Raitt Milne Forsyth Birnie Crichton Duncan McBeath Daniel Hay Robertson Jaffrey Smith McDonald Alexander Craighead
NRY: Bushby Smith Bland Iley Cunion Kendrew Thornbury Favell Lonsdale Crossland Rudd Pratt Gibson
WES; Dickenson Jackson Ewbank Waller
STS: White
SRY: Knight
DUR: Smith Littlefair
HAM: Williams Grose Lush Venson

Offline genie22

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: Saturday 29 June 13 13:42 BST (UK) »
Hi, I am a descendent as well, have been to the church where they are buried, my great great grandfather was Benjamin Howe. very interested in what you have learned about the family. I have information on Clarence Howe

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: Saturday 29 June 13 17:11 BST (UK) »
Re: Howe family - a thread has been raised here so any info pertaining to that family should be posted on the new thread to avoid duplication

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,652164.msg4985572.html#msg4985572
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Lottie000

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: Monday 25 November 13 20:46 GMT (UK) »
Lizziew,
Hi, I was interested in the things you've wrote below; my grandad was called Kenneth Martindale he was born in Gleaston and told me his whole family are from there.

Jane Martindale (nee Goad), my 2nd cousin 5 times removed (a very distant ancestor) was born in Gleaston, Lancashire in 1792.  Gleaston only has a population of 400 nowadays, although when Jane was born, there was a working mill (it’s still in working order) and at least 5 farms which probably employed many of the local men and women, so it’s possible it was a larger community in the late 1700s/1800s.

Jane Benson (nee Martindale) my 3rd cousin 4 times removed and daughter of Jane Goad above was baptised in Ulverston, Dalton in Furness, Lancashire in 1824.  She married my 2 x g.g.uncle Thomas Benson in 1845, so I’m related to her on 2 different trees.

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: Tuesday 26 November 13 13:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lottie - Welcome to Rootschat. 

All I know is that Jane Benson (nee Martindale)'s father was called Joseph Martindale, his wife's maiden name was Jane Goad.  Joseph was born in Urswick in Furness in 1789 but his wife Jane Goad was born in Gleaston on 3 May 1792.  Perhaps Joseph Martindale was the first Martindale in Gleaston.  Joseph isn't really an ancestor, he was the husband of my 2nd cousin 5 times removed, so even my ancestor Jane Goad is a very, very distant ancestor.  I've traced the Goad's back to 1729 in Gleaston, but that's it.

Lizzie