Author Topic: Globe Cemetery, Motherwell.  (Read 10745 times)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Globe Cemetery, Motherwell.
« Reply #18 on: Friday 02 October 15 21:22 BST (UK) »
Don't know where to start really... Lodger, as always, you are a hero to have followed your heart and your love for accuracy on this all.  Goodness, 40 years last since you were there...you must only be 41 by now  ;)

From photos and stuff I have seen, looks like a bit of land (or maybe it is the walk to get there that creates that appearance, like you say you had a walk to get there). How many acres was it do you know?

Loved the story of the ladies you came across (and your comments Sancti  ;D).

Hey, we all do the best we can. Said by a lady whose eldest son at the age of 18 months learnt to walk 'safely' in a little cemetery on a Saturday morning, whilst Dad was at the Gym  8) www.geograph.org.uk/photo/24968 ~ Sad, I know...

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline SEEKING FAMILY

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 03 October 15 04:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Gail,

I'm pleased you've found a new stomping ground.  :) If you should come across any 'INGLIS' headstones I would be most interested.

Thanks also to Colin for taking the time out to take some 'happy snaps'...it's really very sad that this cemetery is so unkempt, unloved and allowed to be desecrated in this way.  I imagine that it was quite a stately and dignified place to inter the dearly departed in its day and I suppose being off the beaten track has quite a bit to do with it's now dilapidated state.   ::)

Great to see the weather's okay and you can get out and about for a stroll in Motherwell!

Sage.

Hello Sage,

Am very new to this site so I hope I am sending this correctly.....I note you mentioned "Inglis" headstones in the above quote......I had great grandparents Alexander & Agnes Inglis living in Braidhurst Rows around 1900 - 1910 when they migrated to Australia with 7 children. I know they had another 2 sons die before then.....could be buried in Globe? Is there a family connection with you? Hope to hear from you Regards, Seeking Family

Offline sage

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 03 October 15 05:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Seeking Family and welcome to RootsChat...

My in-laws have Inglis on both sides of the family so I've done a lot of research on the Inglis families in the area.  I have more than one Alexander Inglis...do you have a maiden name for Agnes so that maybe I can identify the family you're searching for.  Will help if I can.  :)

Offline SEEKING FAMILY

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 03 October 15 06:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Seeking Family and welcome to RootsChat...

My in-laws have Inglis on both sides of the family so I've done a lot of research on the Inglis families in the area.  I have more than one Alexander Inglis...do you have a maiden name for Agnes so that maybe I can identify the family you're searching for.  Will help if I can.  :)

Thank you for your quick response. Yes the Scottish tradition of naming children after parents can be very confusing indeed.  My Alexander was born in 1865 and Agnes's maiden name is Archibald. I think her birthdate is around the same as Alexander.
I appreciate any additional information you may be able to give. Regards Seeking Family

Offline sage

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 03 October 15 06:55 BST (UK) »
So sorry Seeking Family...

I can hardly believe it myself but this is one Inglis family I haven't come across in my research.  I hope someone else researching the Inglis family comes across your post and sends you a message.  Best of luck.

Sage

Offline SEEKING FAMILY

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 03 October 15 08:00 BST (UK) »
So sorry Seeking Family...

I can hardly believe it myself but this is one Inglis family I haven't come across in my research.  I hope someone else researching the Inglis family comes across your post and sends you a message.  Best of luck.

Sage

Thank you Sage for taking the time to check and your good wishes. I'll keep my finger crossed, because I found a post from 2013 regarding the Braidhurst Rows Motherwell and the person they were researching is my grandmother's sister. Unfortunately I have had no response from that original post and given the time between then & now it's a fair chance that I may not. I can but hope.

Again thank you very much for all your encouragement.
Warmest Regards
Seeking Family

Offline sage

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 04 October 15 12:16 BST (UK) »
Seeking Family do you know who the parents of your Alexander Inglis were?  Posting this information might help to get you some additional help.  :)

Offline jeanhemm

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 27 December 20 10:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gail,

I'm pleased you've found a new stomping ground.  :) If you should come across any 'INGLIS' headstones I would be most interested.

Thanks also to Colin for taking the time out to take some 'happy snaps'...it's really very sad that this cemetery is so unkempt, unloved and allowed to be desecrated in this way.  I imagine that it was quite a stately and dignified place to inter the dearly departed in its day and I suppose being off the beaten track has quite a bit to do with it's now dilapidated state.   ::)

Great to see the weather's okay and you can get out and about for a stroll in Motherwell!

Sage.

Have photo of Inglis & Clark with Jessie Inglis died 18th Jan 1942.  Stone was erected by Bessie Inglis
DERRY - Nelson, Johnston, Dobbins 
NORFOLK, STAFFORDSHIRE, BIRMINGHAM - Semmence, Seamons, Seaman, Semman
NORFOLK - Stark, Love
STIRLINGSHIRE - Bulloch
IRELAND, WIGTOWNSHIRE, AYRSHIRE - Findlater 
GLOUCESTERSHIRE. WORCESTERSHIRE - Hemming 
IRELAND, SHEFFIELD, BIRMINGHAM - Goulding 
BIRMINGHAM - Howe, Roberts, Adams
IRELAND, GLASSFORD - Richmond, Reid

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 27 December 20 10:58 GMT (UK) »
With North Lanarkshire archives closed due to Covid, contact LFHS who have a copy of the daybook for the Globe cemetery